Would you put a 5 year old back in a harness?

glockchick

DD has thinned out a bit with all the summer swimming and is now under 40 lbs again. I was thinking of putting her back in a harness just to save myself the trouble of buckling her booster next to the baby's car seat. She wouldn't mind. In fact, she wants the pink Nauti from Walmart. I'm not sure it will puzzle next to DS's RF Marathon. Her Parkway is butted up against it now.

I'd prefer a frontier because I love Britax and that way when my 5 year old is in school, I can let the 3 year old ride there since the harness adjusting without rethreading.

Or I could just leave her in the PW since she's still within the rules for it.

ADS

NannyMom

The Nauti and Frontier are both alot wider than the PW. I think that may end your wondering right there ;)

But, if space allowed, and budget allowed, sure I'd put a 5 year old in a harness. Would I discourage anyone from buying a seat if it doesn't strain them? no, new seats are fun :whistle: Would I prefer a 5 year old who sits properly and fits properly in a booster be in a harness? no, doesn't matter. Is she 38/39 or 36? That would make a difference for me too. And cold weather is coming, that will add to her weight.

monstah

If the parkway is up against the MA, I don't believe a GN will fit. If you do a little shuffling, the Frontier sounds like fun. ;)

glockchick

She's 43 inches and last I checked was 37 lbs.

New seats are indeed fun. ;)

I'll measure how far I have between the marathon and the wall. Her position now is the biggest other than the seat that folds down and I have to have the fold down seat open. I was hoping maybe the Frontier would slide under the edge of the MA and I'd have room to the base instead of just the edge of the seat.

Just checked and she still fits in the Marathon with 1/4 inch to go to be even with the straps. I may put her in that for now and let Kaleigh use the BLVD we were using as the spare seat.

glockchick

Just reinstalled the MA and I doubt the Nauti will fit. The side of the parkway hits the end of the MA about half way up the side and the bottom of the seat of the PW is almost up against the door.

It's the middle row of a '99 suburban, MA is in the center and PW is behind the driver.

Nisha

What if you put the RF MA on the passnger side and FF MA in the center (are both MA's in the same row?), you might have more luck that way, but maybe not...

glockchick

The MAs are in the middle 2nd row and middle 3rd row.

Both harnessed seats have to be in the middle seats. I have 6 kids, 6 seats, and the middle seats are lap belts so I need harnessed kids in those seats.

I also need to be able to access the 3rd row easily since 3 kids sit back there.

Nisha

The MAs are in the middle 2nd row and middle 3rd row.

Both harnessed seats have to be in the middle seats. I have 6 kids, 6 seats, and the middle seats are lap belts so I need harnessed kids in those seats.

I also need to be able to access the 3rd row easily since 3 kids sit back there.

Got it! :thumbsup: So what about putting the Nauti/Frontier in the 3rd row beside the FF MA? Can your DD buckle herself well enough to do that?

I really don't know if it would puzzle better with the FF MA or not but I know some seats do puzzle better with the MA FF than RF. (Like the Radian... I can get 3 across with RA MA RA all FF but not with any of them RF)

glockchick

I doubt it would fit in the 3rd row. The wheel wells are back there so the overall width is quite a bit shorter.

Last time I tried a Radian, I gave up cussing and sent it back. lol I tried every trick I knew to get it in tight, but I think the hard plastic on the belt stalks makes it harder to get a tight install.

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
I put a 7 1/2 year old back into the harness of the nautilus because I was tired of buckling the booster in 3 across in my little car and she still *barely* fits. Does that answer your question? :p

swtgi1982

I would definitely put any child who can still feasibly fit into a HWH car seat back into a harnessed seat. Just look into one like the frontier or nautilus like you said. But no I do not like the nautilus for a three across, it is a PITA if you KWIM?? It is just so stinking wide it is tough.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would definitely put any child who can still feasibly fit into a HWH car seat back into a harnessed seat.

Why? There is no evidence that harnessing 6-10 year old children is beneficial.

But, OP, for a child who is 5 years and <40 pounds, I would probably reharness if possible.

Maedze

I would definitely put any child who can still feasibly fit into a HWH car seat back into a harnessed seat. Just look into one like the frontier or nautilus like you said. But no I do not like the nautilus for a three across, it is a PITA if you KWIM?? It is just so stinking wide it is tough.

There would be no statistically significant reason for doing this. You CAN but it is by no means safer. Older children who ride safely in a booster are no more safe in a harnessed seat than they are in a booster.

It does a real disservice to CPS to imply that harnessing is SAFER than a booster for an older child.

myliljunebugs

I reharnessed my 7 year old, so I guess that answers that question ;) But mine was because he reverted to acting like a little turd in his booster, I threatened, he didn't listen. Now he is harnessed. Was supposed to start back to school in a booster, but let him ride in one a few weeks ago and he was even worse than before. He may go straight from Regent to seatbelt the way he has been behaving! LOL

Maedze

I reharnessed my 7 year old, so I guess that answers that question ;) But mine was because he reverted to acting like a little turd in his booster, I threatened, he didn't listen. Now he is harnessed. Was supposed to start back to school in a booster, but let him ride in one a few weeks ago and he was even worse than before. He may go straight from Regent to seatbelt the way he has been behaving! LOL

This is an excellent reason to reharness a seven year old, however, a child who has outgrown a Regent isn't going to pass the 5-step-test and will still need a backless booster. (Sorry if you were kidding and I missed it :p)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I do not like the nautilus for a three across, it is a PITA if you KWIM?? It is just so stinking wide it is tough.

It depends on the puzzling. I have a Nautilus in a three-across in my Civic. :)

Here is a Nautilus, a RF Radian, and a Vivo:
S8000060-1.jpg

I'll get more pictures later because I currently have a Nautilus, a FF Radian, and a RF Radian installed. :)

NannyMom

This is an excellent reason to reharness a seven year old, however, a child who has outgrown a Regent isn't going to pass the 5-step-test and will still need a backless booster. (Sorry if you were kidding and I missed it :p)

Depends on the child and the car ;) A still has lots of time in a Regent (basing that on the fact that she is at the top slots of the GN). She is *this close* to passing the 5 step test in my 2nd row. Just needs 1 inch of upper leg growth. But then again, nowhere near it in Dad's accord.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC