Nissan Snug Kids Child Safety Seat Fit Guide

drey

Did you guys know that Nissan has compiled a list of car seats & boosters that fit in their vehicles, by vehicle? I was just looking at the Xterra, and it's a link under the model's Safety section... I'd post a link, but I don't think it'll work.

They also post contact information for all manufacturers of the seats in their listing, as well as some installation guidelines. I'm impressed that they made the effort to do this. I'd be even MORE impressed if CPS techs can verify their fit guide. ;)

ADS

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
I wonder how they qualify or disqualify a "good fit" and if their "safety engineers" are CPST's? It is a good idea, but I wish we knew more about how they decide if the fit is good or bad. There are a number of convertible seats that pass when rf but not ff or vise versa. Thanks for pointing that site out to us.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
What an original idea!!

Car manufacturers being aware of car seat use!

Like the previous posts, it raises several questions:

How did they decide which seats to try?
Will it be updated? And how often?
If a seat isn't listed, does that mean it didn't fit?
If there are installation issues, are they considering any design changes to improve fit? Sharing their concerns with CR manufacturers?
What about different seating positions in the vehicle?
Ease of installation / access to LATCH/Tether anchor?
What about install w/LATCH vs. seat belt?

It is a good start.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Here's the Xterra's link.

http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/child_safety/child_safety_xterra.pdf

That one has the Regent on it.

Seems they only tried LATCH outboard. What about in the center with the seatbelt? I know this is the 2005-2006 model years, but in a 2001 Xterra a Wizard is incompatible FFing in the center with the lap belt. It's compatible outboard FFing and RFing. It's rare to find a Britax incompatibility, and they don't seem to cover all of the bases to even make sure they get an idea of all seating positions with all options.

Wendy

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Nissan started this a few years ago. They do use CPS Technicians. They have a brochure on the program but I'm not sure how to get copies, you might be able to email them for it.

emandbri

They started this a few years ago because a women in St. Louis made the news because she tried "5" seats in her maxima and couldn't find one that fit. She had side airbags and at the time it was unclear if they were safe or not so she had to put the child in the middle. What was funny is I think the "5" seats she tried were the century 1000, century 2000, century 3000, century bravarra, and a bravarra clone. For you youngins the century 1000, 2000, and 3000 are all the same seat just one with a 5-point, one t-shield, one overhead sheild and the bravara was really hard to fit in any car let alone one with a big hump in the middle!

jmm3

hmm I just looked at the one for the Quest since i just bought a 2007 Quest and it doesn't list Graco car seats at all

http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/child_safety/child_safety_quest.pdf

I think they do list some Graco seats, they're on the 2nd page. :) I have a Graco CarGo and Graco SS1 installed in my Quest's captains chairs (2005), and they're both really tight and went in really easily. I am using LATCH for both of them and the whole van shakes when I try to move them.

lilti9er

I know this post is old but hopefully it gets bumped when I comment. I'm just trying to think ahead and plan for when we have a baby #2. DH got a new car recently, a 2012 Infiniti G37 coupe; a part of me wishes we got the convertible top b/c the back seat is made different and has the "crack" like a normal back seat, lol. DD only rides in it on the weekends to my MIL's house which is about a 45 min ride and DH occasionally picks her up in it at school down the street if I have a doctor's appt, etc.

Installing DD's Chicco NextFit RF was a breeze behind the passenger seat but I was wondering how to install a Chicco KeyFit in that particular car. The reason why it's so hard is b/c of how the bottom seat is at an angle where the LATCH set is. Meaning, it doesn't have the "crack" like normal seats that I'm used to. The NextFit's base actually sits before the weird angle so it was fine to install. I didn't spend much time into it but I briefly attempted to install the KeyFit with base and the base couldn't sit against the back of the seat due to that weird angle so there was a huge gap b/w the base and the backing. When I attempted to put it against the backing, then there was a huge gap at the bottom making it too angled to be safe according to the bubble indicators. So what I did was installed it without the base and although it was fine, I didn't feel comfortable without the base and unfortunately I'm not sure if DH could install it correctly without the base when he has to pick the kids up. Even to this day he leaves all the car seat installations up to me. This is the reason why we have 2 car seats, one for each car.

2012-infiniti-g37-ipl-coupe-rear-seats.jpg

2011-infiniti-g37-ipl-rear-seats.jpg

Has anyone seen or know of any successful infant car seat installations for this particular car? Infiniti/Nissan Snug Kids program lists the KeyFit as a compatible car seat but doesn't say how it was installed with or without the base, etc. Oh BTW, the G37 is now the Q60 model.

Last edited:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Has anyone seen or know of any successful infant car seat installations for this particular car? Infiniti/Nissan Snug Kids program lists the KeyFit as a compatible car seat but doesn't say how it was installed with or without the base, etc. Oh BTW, the G37 is now the Q60 model.

I'm sorry but I am not familiar with this model. I just wanted to add that if you don't get any responses, I am happy to split off this post into its own thread and move it to a carseat forum if you wish.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC