News Carseat Tech in accident! (SENSITIVITY WARNING CHILD INJURY/DEATH)

drlynne

I'm sorry if this was posted already. She is on another board. Here is the story:

We took the family camping this weekend. We were towing the boat. Nobody was in front of us. About 15 minutes after we left the campground, we were coming up on some cars heading the opposite direction. When we almost passed the first vehicle, a 4 door Jeep Wrangler swerved into our lane and hit us head on. We were going about 50 mph, not sure how fast they were going.

The other vehicle went into a ditch. There were 6 people in the other vehicle. I think 3 of them died (although the news story I posted says all but 1 died...). Only one person in that vehicle was wearing a seat belt.

We stopped right at the edge of the ditch. We were all wearing our seat belts, and the girls were all properly restrained.

Dan broke his leg and had surgery to put a titanium rod in it. He also had a big gash on his other leg. He's ok, he's in my room with me. My brother is in another hospital, he broke his wrist and had surgery. I am OK... I was in immense pain, they did scans on me and there is a little bit of fluid (not blood) in my abdomen. I had a huge gash on my right hip from the seat belt buckle, it required about 15 stitches. I have some very serious seat belt burn. Its very painful. Im weak, and my neck/shoulders/back are still sore. I will most likely be discharged tomorrow, we'll just have to see how I'm doing.

The girls? Walked away from the crash, which IMO was pretty much a miracle. They were all properly restrained (Kelsey in the 3rd row in a high back turbo booster. Sarah in the 2nd row in a ff Marathon. Megan next to Sarah in a rf Marathon. I was sitting in the 2nd row. Kelsey has a little bit of belt burn on her shoulder, but she's not complaining. Sarah has it on her shoulders from her harness, she is not complaining. Megan doesn't have a single mark on her. We are all extremely lucky to be alive right now.

Here's a link to the video. We are the first story. We aren't sure what is going to happen now though.
http://www.keprtv.com/home/video/52346137.html?video=YHI&t=a

ADS

CarSeatPoncho

Re: Carseat Tech in accident!

Holy cr@p -- their SUV was SMASHED in front and back. Thank goodness they are all alive! Prayers & PT to the families of those who died.

drlynne

It was an expedition..wow..totally smashed. The Jeep had a 15 yr old and an 11 yr old no seatbelts on. So incredibly sad.

NannyMom

Glad all the kids in the expedition are ok. Out of curiosity, how old are they?

J-max

CPST Instructor

WOW, that happened fairly close to me, I actually heard it on the news, but not the part about the restrained kids being fine.

OP, where did you find the originally posting, if you can share, I would like to post it on my facebook - I have been doing a bunch of examples of properly restrained kids being fine after accidents

drlynne

It was on this group. http://www.delphiforums.com/ I just joined and found the post. She said it was okay to post on FB and links. The story is just incredible. Her kids are 7-5-2, the 7 year old was in the third row in a turbo booster, the 5 year old was in a ff marathon, the 2 year old was in rf marathon. She was sitting in the second row between the two little ones.

I posted on my FB too.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Wow, this is an amazing story. The damage to the expedition speaks volumes... Ford has been using a heavier steel in their frames last I heard and it takes a lot more force to deform than a lot of other vehicles...

emandbri

Wow, that car is really smashed, I seriously wonder if the 2 year old would have been hurt if they were forward facing. I'm so glad that her kids were okay and feel really bad for those in the Jeep.

emandbri

Does anyone have any pictures of just the SUV? I'd rather post it on facebook than the whole news story.

drlynne

Does anyone have any pictures of just the SUV? I'd rather post it on facebook than the whole news story.

Yes, here is a photo. The orange spring is from the jeep that hit her. I have two more photos in my album if you need them.
picture.php

J-max

CPST Instructor
WOW, the passenger compartment really held up well! I am very impressed. I also wonder if the 2 year old had been FF if she would have been injured?

OP, You should post a link to this board and invite her over here ;)

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Absolutely incredible. It seems there are reminders around every corner about buckling up every passenger, for every ride.

ks1978

That is my car. Same color , similar year if not the same. This story made me cry, so sad for the other family. I will always picture this in my head when I complain about gas prices. We bought this car several years ago after I saw a minivan just like ours in an accident and the back bumper was crumpled all the way up to the front seats. The Expedition held up really well and thank God those kids were properly restrained!!!

cleach

CPS Technician
Hi everybody, I'm the Tech that was involved in the accident. I'm actually a member here, but I spend most of my time on the Delphi forums.

Please feel free to repost this story wherever you want.

For clarification, and some updates:

The Jeep that hit us, we found out was NOT a 4 door Wrangler. It was a 2 door extended Wrangler.

My husband was driving and suffered a broken femur and a large gash on his leg. That is healing very well.

My brother was the front passenger and suffered the broken arm. He's healing from that as well.

I had some massive abdominal bruising... I have pictures of my injuries. If anybody would like to see them, I would be more than happy to share a link. Just send me a message and I'll give you the link. The pictures are very graphic, just a warning. The bruising has pretty much completely faded, my stitches come out on Monday, and the seat belt burn is on its way to healing.

The girls are all A-OK.

I was sitting in the 2nd row drivers side seat, by the door. Next to me in the 2nd row center seat was my 4 (she'll be 5 years old in September) year old in a FF MA. Next to her, in the 2nd row passenger side seat was my 2 year old in a RF MA. My 7 year old was in the 3 row, drivers side seat, by herself.

We were fully loaded. The seats next to my 7 year old were folded down, and we packed the truck with soft things like sleeping bags, pillows, blankets. We put heavy stuff in the boat. This contributed to our (somewhat) lack of serious injury, IMO.

The passenger compartment of the Expedition held up surprisingly well. We went to the salvage yard a couple days ago and I got some of it on video. The jeep that hit us also happened to be there, right next to our Expedition. Looking at it (which was weird, and kind of creepy), I don't know how it was possible to cram 6 people into that thing. It amazes me. And saddened me.

Oh, here is a link to some pictures of the truck after it was taken to the tow yard. Keep in mind that a lot of the "stuff" you see crammed in there is all stuff that was scattered around the road that just got thrown in before the truck got towed away. It was not all there at the time of the accident.

http://www.fototime.com/inv/D39C192862DCCA5

If you have ANY questions at all regarding the accident, our injuries, or anything, please ask. I am an open book. Talking about it helps me deal with it all.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC