Throwing up in car, suggestions needed

skipspin

I have a friend whos almost 4 year old started (a few weeks ago) throwing up in the car. It seems to be just being car sick and not a sickness or behavioral issue. He's in a hbTurbo and is a big kid- over 40 lb and 40 in. His seat and vehicle haven't changed recently and he threw up in another mom's car on a field trip as well. It happens all the time on trips that are over 10 minutes. Highway or city, it doesn't matter.

Sometimes it makes it to the floor and other times he gets it all down the front of him. I'm guessing that if his seatbelt is locked he can't move enough to lean over to the floor...but that's just a guess.

He sits in a captians chair in a Honda Odyssey and will be having a second younger sibling soon so he will most likely move to the back.

My only suggestion was a bucket with a bag in it for easy clean up.Any better suggestions? His poor mom is 6 months pg and really tired of cleaning up puke :-(

Last edited:
ADS

tchrgrrl

Oh that is just so gross and sad, poor PG momma too! I would say a good supply of puke buckets/bags - let him decide what he wants to puke in to (give him some control in the situation) and then help him figure out where to put it so he has easy/quick access - hopefully without having to lean forward or get out of position in his seat. Ugh, that is just so gross. :(

Yoshi

Preferably a bucket with a shape that he can throw up INTO it and it won't slosh out. Something that has a smaller opening top than bottom, KWIM? Only I don't know what would fit that description....What about airline type barf-bags? They are leak-proof and fit against your face and then are disposable. Maybe they can be ordered online like these from Sporty's Pilot Shop.

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&did=19&product_id=301

(they look like they would open up like lunch bags)

Maybe he should have his ears checked- excess fluid in the inner ear can cause vertigo, motion sickness and dizziness. Can't hurt to check them ears:eek:

scatterbunny

I wish I had better suggestions, but yours is the only one that works for us. Hayley has had motion sickness for about 4 years now, since she was about 18 months old. Any trip longer than 15-20 minutes and she'd puke. We tried Dramamine for a few trips but that only worked a couple of times and made her SO zombie-like it was scary, so we quit that.

Lately it's seemed better, no real reason, though.

All we do is bring a big bowl with us when we travel and she can aim very well. Since she was about 3.5-4 she hasn't gotten herself with more than a drop or two of vomit, it all makes it into the bowl (and she's harnessed on all those longer trips and makes it just fine). We bring a jug of water and washcloth and extra clothes just in case, use the water to rinse out her mouth and the bowl and we're back on the road in less than 5 minutes, usually.

My heart goes out to this mom, I can't imagine being pregnant and hormonal and dealing with this. :(

Morganthe

My sympathies to them both. I really feel for the mom. I never got morning sickness, but I'd lose it if I could smell vomit or other nasty aromas. I still can't handle raw meat at all.

When I was a child, I had serious problems with car sickness. A vomit bag was always there, but I'd get even worse once I started heaving, so my mom tried to stop before it happened.
These are what did help me the most and still do today.

#1 -- Must have a cool car or a window cracked open about an inch or 2 for circulation. Hot vehicles made everything worse.

#2 -- no strong scents of perfume or car freshener.

#3 -- being able to look forward out the front window while in the back seat. Side windows increases/d the nausea.

#4 -- the less stop/starts at intersections, the better.

I'm sorry to say, that's about it that's workable without major changes to vehicle ownership. I still can't be a passenger long term in a Van or SUV because they sit too high up off the ground. They lean too much in corners + stops/starts set the motion sickness into play. A major reason why we sold our truck. I also do better in manual transmission than automatics. The last time I got severely nauseated was in a very nice BMW automatic while sitting in the back seat. No one else was bothered by the vehicle shifts and drive train, but I certainly was. Motion sickness has definitely turned me into the drivaholic I am today. I can control it when I'm behind the wheel, but I still remember the constantly ill child I was so long ago.
best of luck to your friend.

scatterbunny

Morganthe's tips are awesome, they definitely help me. I am the same way, if I'm not the one driving I'll get sick.

My dd seemed to be WORSE when I had my Honda Accord, it got better when we got the van but it still hasn't gone away entirely.

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
Gallon size ziploc bag with a paper towel in it to absorb. Also a waterproof bib works well to protect the clothes.

Rachel

lovinwaves

I just wanted to add to Morganthe. I to have severe car sickness, but it is better when I drive.

-Don't let them smell gasoline. Try filling up when they aren't in the car.

-Have them look at the horizon.

Sometimes luxury cars make it worse on me. My moms Lexus makes me super sick even if I am in the front seat. I like a more sporty driving car. That is one reason we picked the Ody over the Sienna, because the Sienna has more of a luxury wishy washy kind of ride...:)

skipspin

Thank you everyone for the hints. I will definatly pass them on!

Hopefully, he will just get over it soon, and learn to use a bag/bowl in the meantime. I think I'll get her some wipes and ziplocks for Christmas ;-)

beeman

Is he allergic to anything in the car? It could be triggered by an allergy. If his parents smoke in the car it could help trigger it too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC