Safe way to wash carseat straps??

sholoulou

What is the proper safe way to wash carseat straps? Does it matter what water temp or detergent you use? Can you dry them or air dry? Thanks!

ADS

Andie

The only safe way is to wipe them down with a damp sponge. Soaking the straps can weaken them.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you hand rinsed them with plain water, without prolonged soaking, it's probably okay. If you used any kind of detergent, soap, or cleanser or soaked them or machine washed them or pressure washed them or anything like that... Get new straps.

sholoulou

I washed them in the washing machine... I will order new straps. They should have a tag on the straps when you purchase new seats so you know how to wash them. I can not believe you are not suppose to use any kind of soap... I am so ocd lol I think I will order black straps so it will look cleaner!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The information on how to clean the straps is in the instructions, with information on how to clean the other parts of the seat. :)

Is there a different color of straps? I've only ever seen black on Sceneras...

sholoulou

I have a Britax Marathon. I washed the straps after my daughter had a virus.. yuk! How in the world am I suppose to just rinse vomit?

This is how Britax says to clean the harness:

Cleaning the Harness
• SPONGE CLEAN using warm water and mild soap.
• TOWEL DRY
• DO NOT bleach, machine wash, machine dry or disassemble
the harness.

So could I still use a mild soap? If so, what is considered mild? I just bought a Regent :) and I know I will have to clean the straps def before the 6 years is up

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes, you could use a mild soap. Detergent isn't really mild. Something gentler, and very dilute, is better. I know people who use Woolite, or baby shampoo. But try water first, that usually does it. Sponge cleaning is the safest way to go but if it's really vomit-soaked sometimes parents just need to rinse. As long as it's done gently and you sponge (not wring) out the extra water I'm not too worried about it. And airing out helps too, you'd be amazed what a night of fresh air can do for a vomity harness. :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You can try a little vinegar as well to help with the vomit. However, if the smell is really really bad then we recommend simply ordering a new harness rather than attempting to wash the smell out.

Wendy

tjham

I talked to Britax and they said examples of mild soaps were Dove and Ivory dish soap and baby shampoo. I swish quickly and/or sponge off in a dilute soapy solution then swish quickly in clear water. Pat with dry towel and air dry.

southpawboston

You can try a little vinegar as well to help with the vomit. However, if the smell is really really bad then we recommend simply ordering a new harness rather than attempting to wash the smell out.

Wendy

vinegar is acetic acid with a pH of 2. it's a pretty harsh cleaner. i personally would stick to water alone, but i don't see the issue with running water versus sponging. water will not affect nylon webbing. machine washing might, because of the agitation, but not because of the water.

Wineaux

Part of this is to keep from washing out the flame retardant. That's one of the reasons that sponging is preferred over running water, etc...

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
And a soft toothbrush is great for getting some of the, uh, nastier little pieces of stuff out of the fibers that wiping sometimes misses.

southpawboston

Part of this is to keep from washing out the flame retardant. That's one of the reasons that sponging is preferred over running water, etc...

agreed!

And a soft toothbrush is great for getting some of the, uh, nastier little pieces of stuff out of the fibers that wiping sometimes misses.

yeah, that's a great tip! :thumbsup: we keep old toothbrushes with our cleaning supplies for similar purposes (the toothbrush is an essential cleaning tool when working on bikes and small parts!).

canmom

I thought I heard using a sensitive baby wipe to wipe it was ok. I might be wrong.

I would be careful with baby wipes..... I think they have some pretty funky checmicals. FYI, I have used them to take paint off of carpet while painting (and dripping ;)).

Amaris

I've used a solution of california baby and water on mine, about 4 parts water and 1 part california baby. Honestly, every car seat I've had has said in the manual mild cleaner, and it really doesn't get much more mild than that, imo. I don't submerge the straps though, just wash with a cloth that is rung out fairly well, then rinse with a sponge. This has worked on pretty much everything, including vomit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC