backpack carriers

xursusmaritimusx

does anyone use one with their toddler?

ive tried out a few different ones and i really liked them.
http://www.rei.com/product/783271
http://www.rei.com/product/705789
(this one was my favorite so far)
http://www.rei.com/product/705792

i've always used a moby wrap or peanut shell for my DD but i get so hot wrapped up in them.

my want/need is for an upcoming hiking/camping trip
going to the fair this fall
a trip to disney world (trying to do it stroller free since she CAN walk lol)
airline travel
multiple trips to europe next year

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

lovinwaves

I moved your thread to the appropriate forum, "Strollers & Gear", and I also fixed your first link which had an " at the beginning :)

crunchierthanthou

I've used the Sherpani Rumba (but not superlight) before and liked it. I was actually just looking at one tonight. The REI outlet is automatically taking 20% off one item.

Here's the Superlight ($87.93 before tax and/or shipping) and regular Rumba ($111.93). :thumbsup:

shipping is only $13.99 or free to your local store.

rexforever0

i hear the ergo is nice. i'm flying next week with my 9 month old and thinking about picking one up. i used a moby when he was little (he's over 20 lbs now and the last time i tried him in it, it was unpleasant).

The frame carriers seem like they are not very airplane friendly - especially with the new baggage constraints.

xursusmaritimusx

I've used the Sherpani Rumba (but not superlight) before and liked it. I was actually just looking at one tonight. The REI outlet is automatically taking 20% off one item.

Here's the Superlight ($87.93 before tax and/or shipping) and regular Rumba ($111.93). :thumbsup:

shipping is only $13.99 or free to your local store.

oh cool... i might have to take a closer look at that cos thats a great deal!

xursusmaritimusx

i hear the ergo is nice. i'm flying next week with my 9 month old and thinking about picking one up. i used a moby when he was little (he's over 20 lbs now and the last time i tried him in it, it was unpleasant).

The frame carriers seem like they are not very airplane friendly - especially with the new baggage constraints.

yeah, ive tried the ergo but i didnt like how my daughter sat in it on my back etc. i like the feel of the framed back packs.

as far as airtravel goes, if you get a compact enough one, meaning not too wide, you can slide it under the seat, especially your childs seat since they dont need the leg room.
it also meets the carry on requirements to fit in the over head.
it counts towards 1 of your 2 carry ons.

southpawboston

we had the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Evenflo-Snugli-Cross-Country-Carrier/dp/B00007LV7V"]evenflo snugli cross country carrier[/ame]. we liked it a lot, and it was quite inexpensive (i think we paid about $65 for it). but apparently it seems discontinued... :confused:

MomToEliEm

We used a Kelty Elite Backpack Carrier with both my kids, though it was pretty big. Whenever we traveled by air, we always had to gate check it due to it being too big. It was very comfortable though. I don't think they make the style I had any more. Mine was about $150 when I bought it new.

solmama

We, too, had a Kelty carrier. The Backcountry, I think. Our dd loved it. The straps had a torso adjustment which made it easier to fit varying torsos. You might be able to find one on Craigslist.

monstah

DH uses a Kelty Pathfinder for hiking and he really loves it. I think it's discontinued now. I feel a little swamped in it, probably because I am kind of small. So I prefer to use a Babyhawk. (For everything, not just hiking.) He did tons of research before choosing the Kelty but this was 3 years ago.

HPIM1503.jpg

ZephyrBlue

The Keltys are made for average-sized people, so if you're smaller-framed and short, beware. I bought 3 models and could never get a comfortable fit (I'm 5'1" and 105lbs when not pg)

The Sherpani superlight is supposed to be great for smaller people :thumbsup:

A friend had an Evenflo something or other that seemed like it was nice and compact, too.

BananaBoat

I'm heading out to BRU to try this Kelty carrier today. It has an internal frame, but isn't bulky. Not for a 3-day trek across the desert, but it looks good for Disney. I'll come back with a report.

aaminnky

Senior Community Member
I'm heading out to BRU to try this Kelty carrier today. It has an internal frame, but isn't bulky. Not for a 3-day trek across the desert, but it looks good for Disney. I'll come back with a report.

That's the carrier we have and I love it! Its adjustable so I can wear it comfortably and so can DH (I'm 5'7" and he is 6'3"). I love that it has built in storage and even a small zip off pouch (perfect for diapers). We got this carrier for our vacation and used it through the airport and on hikes. It was my 'carry-on' and fit fine in the overhead bins. It was easy to use as a regular backpack or open up to carry DS without having to have a carrier AND a bag. We now use it every weekend at the farmer's market instead of a stroller. I ordered ours from sierratradingpost.com and it was a lot cheaper than BRU's price.

ZephyrBlue

I had that Kelty TC, too! It was by far the best fit for my small frame. Worked for an older infant, not so well for an older toddler (for me, anyway). I agree, order from Sierra Trading Post, or BackCountry.com or one of the outdoors places online- prices are much better than baby stores!

xursusmaritimusx

The Keltys are made for average-sized people, so if you're smaller-framed and short, beware. I bought 3 models and could never get a comfortable fit (I'm 5'1" and 105lbs when not pg)

The Sherpani superlight is supposed to be great for smaller people :thumbsup:

yeah i tried out the keltys and they didnt fit me well. im 5'4" with a small torso. i could tell that i would have problems after an hour or two.

the very helpful guy at REI said the sherpani was designed for a woman and hes right! it fit like a glove.

J-max

CPST Instructor
I have a Kelty Backcountry (discountinued now) and we love it. We got it when dd#2 was about 6 mo old. I also have tons of ring slings, wraps, MT, and an ergo - they all have theri time and place :). We show cows at several fairs and that is when our frame pack gets its most use. It is also DH's favorite for using for him.

Here is an CL listing of the one we have (not mine)

BananaBoat

thats the one i reeeeeeeeeeeeally wanted but it does not fit my DD at all. shes way too big.
i was so bummed.
it was comfortable though!

I tried it today and actually like the Ergo better, but understand that they serve different purposes. We're not really the hiking type, so it's a bit of overkill for us.

Sportier friends of our have a MacPac, which they love & their son loves. But I don't know where they got it - he's Australian and either his parents sent it over or he did some negotiating with the company.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC