got my KF, I'm due next week - have questions!

minismom

Hey guys, I can't believe I haven't been on here forever. Life has been a bit crazy! I'm having the baby next week and I'm now the proud owner of a cubes KF :love::love: thanks to my really nice in-laws! I got two questions:

1. should I remove the shoulder pads? I can't tell if they'll push down the chest clip or not, I suppose it depends on the size of the baby. But since I don't wanna mess with the harness as I'm leaving the hospital I figured I'd ask if you guys know how it generally fits.

2. sitting postions!! dd is in a RFing MA in the center and the KF fits nicely behind the passenger seat. I'm worried about two things:
(a) would she kick the baby? anyone have any issues with having a toddler and newborn sitting side by side and is it smarter to put them both outboard? I'd rather avoid it cause I'd prefer keeping at least one of them in the safer place and keeping the other outboard for an adult
and
(b) the drive back from the hospital having dd between the baby and me might be a little scary. I could put baby in the center and move her seat outboard just for that day (think PITA), but ultimately I think it makes more sense to keep dd in the middle since she'll be in the car everyday (going to school and such) and I won't take baby out so much in the first few weeks (have sitter).

Hum, I guess that was 3 questions... If anyone has any other KF tips I'd totally love to hear. I'm so in love with the seat!! I got a Mac easy traveller to go with it and I'm so excited!

I'm also really excited to have the baby, I'm sick of total strangers pointing out how I'm "ready to pop" :rolleyes:

Miss you guys!

ADS

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
1. Are you expecting a normal sized full term baby? If so, the keyfit shoulder pads are probably fine. They're not super long or anything. If you do need to take them off, it shouldn't be super difficult. If you really don't want to mess w/ it, though, go ahead and take them off. They aren't required.

2. I believe that most instances of siblings picking on each other are when you have RF next to FF. When they're both RF, they usually can't get to each other that well. I could be wrong, though. I'd leave them next to each other unless you notice a difference.

If having the MA in the center and the Keyfit outboard works best for you, go ahead and do it that way. As long as they're properly installed and used, both your kids will be quite safe. As far as having a child between you and the baby, it's something that a lot of parents just have to deal with (eventually you run out of options, space next to the baby, etc.). If you're really worried, go ahead and switch the seats for that trip, but unless you're going to make that switch permanent, you'll have to get used to it at some point.

gecikuh

Senior Community Member
1) I never took the strap covers off. They didn't interfere with the chest clip at all and worked great. And, for reference I used my KF with a 6lb 13oz 19in baby.

can't be of too much help with the rest

but i'm so glad you are in love with it!!! it is an awesome seat!!! enjoy! (seat and baby)

DahliaRW

1) I would take them off. A tech showed me how much looser the harness was with them on with a small baby, and it was scary. I know it's tested that way, but still...I have them off on my SS1 for that reason. My LO is around 9lbs now, best guess. To make sure the straps don't hurt her neck, I just make sure whatever top she has on is pulled up so the fabric is between the edge of the strap and her neck.

2) I think you're fine having them both rfing next to each other. Put the seat there now, and see how your dd does with it. The biggest problem I have with my SS1 next to my ds2 in a rfing radian is that he'll reach over and pull down the sunshade. But I'm working with him on it. Fortunately he can't reach his sister in the seat. But I do have a gap between them since they are on side-by-side captain's chairs.

mom2threeboys

Here is a picture of my son in his keyfit only 6 hours old. ( Had him at a birthing center and went home right after) I think looking back on this picture they should have been removed? The chest clip looks a little low?..

Anyway..gives you an idea. He was 8lbs 3 oz, 20 1/4 inches long

View attachment 4963

Last edited:

minismom

Here is a picture of my son in his keyfit only 6 hours old.

Wow! I'm gonna be stuck in the hospital for 4 days...

Thanks everyone!

I'm expecting the baby to be no more than 6 1/2 lbs. DD was under 6lbs, which is why I got a KF this time instead of reusing the SS1 I had with her. She didn't seem comfy or fit well in the SS1 and the drive back from the hospital was very scary... She was barely above the 5lb minimum when we left the hospital. I think based on mom2threeboy's picture I should remove the shoulder pads, cause I think my DS will be way smaller, plus I have to account for the lost weight during the hospital stay.

I guess it's a good idea to get the KF in there ahead of time and see how she does. I don't think she can reach the baby, it'd be more like her feet could kick the KF, but maybe it wouldn't reach the baby while he's so small. We'll see!

Thanks again! I'll post pics!

melniemi

I would take the shoulder pads off. I left them on for both of my kids that had KFs and took them off a couple days after getting home. The harness just fits better and the pads seem to get in their face, kinda. My 2 were 6-15 and 6-11 that rode/ride in the KF and fit better w/o the pads. I did have to move the straps up already for my baby - the bottom slots are so low!

Good luck with everything.

featherhead

I liked having the shoulder pads on. I would always loosen up the harness quite a bit to get dd out. Then when I would put her in I would position the shoulder pads right by her neck and then tighten. Then the harness slides right through without cutting her neck. I did take them off at the hospital, but then a few days later I put them back on.

cookie123

I prefer the shoulder pads off. I feel they just are in the way of a good harness fit on a little one.

As far as positions, I would try to keep odd in the middle - least protected in most protected position, but ultimately, it's what ever works best.

JerseyGirl'sMama

OP - I have been trying to decide where to put my expected LO. My DD is currently RFing in the center, and I really don't want to move her outboard just to put the baby there - feels like I am saying I love her less :( to put her in a less safer position. After playing around with several different installs, I think it would be best if DD was outboard driver side, and the LO is center, and I can sit outboard passenger side. Hopefully DD won't kick baby. If it becomes an issue, then they will both be outboard, and I will have to sit up front.

NannyMom

OP - I have been trying to decide where to put my expected LO. My DD is currently RFing in the center, and I really don't want to move her outboard just to put the baby there - feels like I am saying I love her less :( to put her in a less safer position. After playing around with several different installs, I think it would be best if DD was outboard driver side, and the LO is center, and I can sit outboard passenger side. Hopefully DD won't kick baby. If it becomes an issue, then they will both be outboard, and I will have to sit up front.

DD1 is the safest person in your car. Even safer than the new baby because she's older. So..... I wouldn't feel bad about moving her outboard.

I feel bad about having BabyS outboard because she's younger than Sofi (whos is center). But....Sofi's in the van alot more than BabyS.

minismom

As far as positions, I would try to keep odd in the middle - least protected in most protected position, but ultimately, it's what ever works best.

I think dd is the most protected person though, cause she's RF and she's tethered, and she'd older.

I feel bad about having BabyS outboard because she's younger than Sofi (whos is center). But....Sofi's in the van alot more than BabyS.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Technically DD is the most protected person and should be outboard. And it'd also be nice to have the adult available seat be next to the baby who needs more attention. But if DD is in the car WAY more often than the baby then I think it's a waste of the center space...

JerseyGirl'sMama

DD1 is the safest person in your car. Even safer than the new baby because she's older. So..... I wouldn't feel bad about moving her outboard.

Oh no, logically I know that, but it still feels like I am moving her from the safest position - kinda like saying I love the baby more than her. It is really just an emotional issue I am trying to get past.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC