Beco, Ergo, or Pikkolo?

zactayaus

Ok. I still haven't written off the bjorn active carrier. I'm just driving myself crazy now with all the other choices. Whatever I get will have to be used or a really, really good sale price because I just don't have the money right now for any of these new. I almost got a beco on craigslist for $75 but someone beat me to it.:( She said if it falls through she'll let me know.

So which one do you like better (beco, ergo, or pikkolo) and why?

I'm so confused.:confused:

Oh and if you didn't read my other thread and want to suggest something else keep in mind that I'm not a big fan of wraps.;) Thanks.

ADS

mom2threeboys

I am SO in love with my pikkolo!!:love:

I have not used the others other than trying them on at the sling/ carrier shop. The becco was akward for me and my son cried..screamed while I tried it on. The ergo I wore a while and it was ok but left horrible red marks on his thighs ( and he isn't that chubby). Now the pikkolo was heaven right away. I love the memory foam in the straps. I can and do wear my son hours at a time almost every day. I have worn him for 4 hours strait and it didn't hurt. He loves it. I love that nothing is between my son and I like the fabric in the beco. I like the sleeping hood. I like that it is so easy to adjust. I like the crotch width is adjustable for chubby thighs. You can face out, in or on the back. I can easily put him on my back by myself. His favorite is facing in though. I bought it when he was 5 months. He is now almost 14 months. It shows zero wear. And has been washes several times ( hung to dry) We use it daily and I think we will be using for a long time still!

Hope that helps .:) Good luck to you.

mom2threeboys

I did not buy the support belt. The lady that sold it to me suggested I try it a while first because I would have to order it from Cat Bird baby directly. I have never had discomfort so I never ordered it.

My sling/carrier shop is in Richardson Texas. I don't think this kind of shop is very common. I wish it was. Not sure how to found one near you. I saw a buisness card for this store at my birthing center. They do have a website with live help if you are interested.

http://www.peppermint.com/

Good luck:)

BananaBoat

FWIW - I just tried all 3 on at a store near me, because although we like our Bjorn I want something as a back carrier.

Beco - my least favorite, felt like she was hanging out of it a little.

Pikkolo - most versatile and pretty comfy. Love that she can face in or out! Comfier as a front carrier than the Bjorn (with lumbar) that I have now that she's 21#

Ergo - Very well padded. DD seemed to fit really well on the back. Definitely felt the weight shifted to my hips, which I liked.

Not sure which I want because DH needs to give the :thumbsup: to it. He wears her alot and has a bad back, so we'll go back to re-try the Ergo & Pikkolo.
HTH!

sunnydayz

Can I recommend a Kanga? I know it's not on your list, but I have one and love absolutely everything about it (well maybe not the price ;) ). It was definitely worth the money, though. It's so supportive for both me and ds and I've worn him all day through Disneyland at 30lbs without any strain. You can also find them used sometimes on www.thebabywearer.com along with some reviews.

Kanga website: www.bloo-kangaroo.com

Good luck!

zactayaus

Can I recommend a Kanga? I know it's not on your list, but I have one and love absolutely everything about it (well maybe not the price ;) ). It was definitely worth the money, though. It's so supportive for both me and ds and I've worn him all day through Disneyland at 30lbs without any strain. You can also find them used sometimes on www.thebabywearer.com along with some reviews.

Kanga website: www.bloo-kangaroo.com

Good luck!

I really like the looks of it but wow on the price!

zactayaus

UPDATE:

I haven't been on here to much because I've been hanging out on thebabywearer board and just doing as much research as possible online to help with this big decision.;)

Here's the outcome: I will be meeting up with a member of thebabywearer board. She lives about a half hour from me and she is a baby wearing consultant. She operates a baby wearing store from her home. She has all three carriers (beco, ergo, and pikkolo) for me to try out. I'll be going there on Monday and I can't wait. I'm so excited it kind of feels like x-mas.:p

J-max

CPST Instructor
Exciting! Let us know how it goes. I have debated doing something like that, just don't think it will go over too well in my area :(

And the Ergo is my favorite of the ones you have listed

zactayaus

UPDATE:

I had my baby wearing consultation today.:) It went very well and the lady (Jane) was super nice. I decided not to try on the pikkolo though because it would be too much money with the support belt and I didn't want to tempt myself.:rolleyes: If you'll remember from my original post I was going to buy a used carrier but dh and I discussed it and decided we could spend the money for a new one because when we're done with it we'll be able to resell it and get back a good part of what we paid.

So first I tried on the ergo sport. It's super comfy and I love how soft the material is (reminds me of brushed cotton). Gavin wasn't sure he liked the full stradle just yet so she showed me how to frog up one of his legs and he did much better.

Next was the organic ergo. Pretty much the same as the sport except the fabric is much stiffer and thicker (more like canvas). Gavin must have liked it because he started to fall asleep in it.:p

Last up was the beco. (Man I love the patterns this thing comes in.) Gavin apparently loved this one the most because he went out cold.:p But I wasn't to sure about the straps. They kind of felt like they were digging into my underarms.:(

So I decided on the sport. The main reasons were the price ($94) and the more breathable light weight fabric. I also got a front pouch for it in cranbury to give it a splash of color:D (sport only comes in black). She gave me a discount on the pouch because it is a discontinued color and it was her last one.:thumbsup:

I've been using it on and off all day. There is definetely a bit of a learning curve coming from a super easy to use snugli:eek: but I'm getting pretty good at getting it on and off now. Gavin didn't think it was so much fun to practice so I ended up using one of dd's dolls.:p

My one complait was that when he fell asleep his head would tend to fall back and then I would feel like I had to arch my back and support his head with my arm. I knew I could use the sleeping hood and it would totally prevent the problem but it totally covers his head and it was 90+ degrees out today. I emailed Jane and told her what my issue was. She gave me some suggestions on what I could do to help with head support without using the hood and I ended up putting a receiving blanket folded up slightly behind his back and up out of the carrier and that seemed to work well.:thumbsup:

I was talking to a friend about the carriers tonight and she told me she was thinking about selling her beco in sky and would give me a great deal on it. (Oh how I love that pattern:love:.) I'm so tempted but I think dh would kill me and I don't need it now. Ugh. Why couldn't she had said something sooner.

kaysmom

Thats awesome that you found one you liked:thumbsup:

I wish that I could have gone somewhere to try on, I ordered a Beco online and thankfully we liked it...but I'm jealous you found someone so great to help you, that's awesome!

Melanie

Glad you found one. I love my Ergo, although I've never used it for a front carry. I got it when DD was 1 year and getting way to heavy for the front. I recently wore her on my back for a 4 mile hike. She's 30 lbs. I was tired at the end and my legs were sore, but my back was just fine.

zactayaus

I tried the side carry today with it and it worked well (practiced a bunch with dd's doll before trying it out on Gavin). He seemed happy and it was much cooler for both of us since you only have one shoulder strap over you and he got to keep one arm out.:thumbsup:

cpsaddict

I ordered a Pikkolo and it should be here TOMORROW(I hope so anyway!). I got it for $129 with a free waist belt. I hope I love it, since I sold my Ergo to get it. I loved my Ergo, but wanted to be able to face her out. Congrats on the Ergo!

seamonkeys

I ordered a Pikkolo and it should be here TOMORROW(I hope so anyway!). I got it for $129 with a free waist belt. I hope I love it, since I sold my Ergo to get it. I loved my Ergo, but wanted to be able to face her out. Congrats on the Ergo!
I'm not listening to you!!!! :whistle:
These threads keep making me want to try the Pikkolo! But I already have an Ergo! :rolleyes: Bought it for back-carrying with DS2 when he was 6 mths. So this is my real first time carrying in the front. And I have to say it's not as comfy as I'm used to it being. I wish there was somebody who had a Pikkolo to try in person. Maybe I should check out the babywearing board.

mom2threeboys

Oh you will love it! I would love to know what you think about the belt. Would you be willing to try it with and without and let me know? I have never felt like I needed one. DS is 21 pounds and I read on the site that you may start to need it after the baby is 20 pounds. So I am interested. :)

Morganthe

I tried the side carry today with it and it worked well (practiced a bunch with dd's doll before trying it out on Gavin). He seemed happy and it was much cooler for both of us since you only have one shoulder strap over you and he got to keep one arm out.:thumbsup:

Never have tried the side carry option with my Ergo. I need centered balance, so congrats on the success. :thumbsup:

Here's something that might help you think long term with your Ergo. :D
I actually used it last week to carry 48lb dd in it. She turns 6 in a few weeks. Yep, it still fits us both. :thumbsup:

The first day at Europa Park, our parking spot was over a half mile away from the front gate. :eek: It was hot, muggy, and there was no way she would have benefited from that long walk to & from the car.

So I put her on my back & trekked the distance with her. Then dh wrapped it up after we entered the park, & stuffed it down into his backpack that he wears when we're on outings. It takes up such little space.

She was a trooper through that huge park. Exhausted by the end of the day. Sat on my back the return trip eating an apple.
Utterly priceless to avoid a tired crawl back with a whiny child.

We were early enough on the second trip to EP to get a spot in the first row of 'open parking', so no need for it again.

It's definitely been worth the original purchase price all the way back in early 2005. :love:

zactayaus

Morganthe, That's good to know that it works so well for older kids. I haven't tried a back carry yet as I don't feel comfortable enough since Gavin is still so young (he'll be 4 months tomorrow), but I know dh can't wait to be able to carry him on his back. Maybe we'll try it in another month or so.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC