Question Should I buy a new infant car seat & if so which one?!

NYMommy

I bought a Peg Perego P3 travel system off of craigslist a couple of months ago for our baby (due in Nov) and I'm concerned about the Primo Viaggio that came with it. The seller said that it was only a year old, and I didn't know to look at the back until just recently. Well it is actually manufactured on 3/3/05, which I guess means it will expire in March of 2010. She did say that it had not been in an accident, but I have no idea how she took care of it.

My first question is should I buy a new infant seat or should it be ok to use the PV until March?

If I do buy a new one, I would like it to be the safest & easiest to use without latch (we have a 2000 vehicle) and also to work w/ the '05 P3.

Thank you!!!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I would never use a seat I didn't know the history of and from someone I didn't know and trust with my child's life. Did she wash the straps? Did she drop it? What else is going on besides it's four years old and not one?

I don't know what works with the stroller at all, but you can always buy a snap n go off of Craigslist to use for a little while before you switch to the P3.

I'd look at the Snugride 32 and Keyfit as the two easiest seats to install with a seatbelt. Love them both for that. I'd pick one of them if I was buying an infant seat.

Wendy

NVMBR02

Everything that Wendy said.

I used a Graco snugride with my 2005 P3 and it fit fine. It did not snap in to the stroller but was very secure. I know other people have used both the Chicco Keyfit and the Graco Safeseat/ Snugride32 with the P3 and they work well also. The carseats do not snap in but they fit well enough. I know newer P3 come with a strap (at least they did for awhile) to use to secure other brands of seats to the stroller so you might call Peg Perego and see if that is something that you can order if it would work with your stroller if you are concerned about how secure the infant seat is in the stroller since it doesn't snap.

NYMommy

Thank you!! I was thinking that I probably should buy a new one.

What are the benefits of a Graco Snugride 32/Safeseat over a regular Snugride? (other than the higher weight/height limit) Is the Safeseat easier to install than the Snugride in a car without latch? The snugride is cheaper so my first thought was just to get that BUT if it is a pain to use then I don't want it...

canadiangie

Ditto, what Wendy said.

I have used a Snugride and SafeSeat with my '06 P3 and both worked great. At one time Peg supplied a little grey adapter strap to secure a non Peg brand infant seat to a Peg stroller, but I understand they no longer supply these with their strollers (and they've changed their snack trays so that only Peg seats work well with Peg strollers).

But, I think that you can still call Peg and ask about an adapter strap (possibly they sell them now, rather than just give them away?) if you're not comfy just using a seat that doesn't snap on. The adapter strap fits onto one side of the stroller seatbelt, then routes overtop of the infant seat, and then buckles onto the other side of the stroller seatbelt.

You could also look on ebay for an adapter strap, or put a Wanted posting on craigslist. I know I have two un-used straps floating around my house, so I assume other Peg owners do as well.

All that to say, I never used my adapter strap, and felt totally comfy with how my SafeSeat and Snugride fit into/onto the stroller.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's not a huge pain to install a regular Snugride, other than it has a tendency to tip with a shoulder and lap belt (a locking clip solves this).

The 32 has a built in lockoff that means it takes about 30 seconds to install it in any car. The Keyfit has a built in lockoff as well.

Both also have easier adjusters for the foot than the regular Snugride.

How long do you want to use a carrier for? Also, where in NY are you? If you live in the city and use taxis often I'd go for a long term carrier. If you're upstate and you're looking at polar temperatures for months at a stretch I might go for a bigger carrier so you can get the baby settled in the house for maybe two winters, not just one.

If you don't want to use a carrier for long, then the regular Snugride or a Keyfit 22 (if you can buy it outside of the travel system) would work just fine.

Wendy

NYMommy

Thanks so much for all of the great info!!
We live upstate so we do get a lot of cold, snowy weather.
Do most people find that they really do use the larger carriers longer or do they get too heavy?
We will be moving the baby to a Britax Boulevard when she outgrows the infant seat.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Many people find they get heavy fast, but are willing to carry the baby outside to a preheated car, but then they don't carry the carrier out again until they get home.

Do you have the Boulevard already, or will you buy it later? If you have it and it's not being used I'd return it for now.

I grew up in Columbia County, NY, so I know the winters you're talking about. :)

Wendy

NannyMom

Thanks so much for all of the great info!!
We live upstate so we do get a lot of cold, snowy weather.
Do most people find that they really do use the larger carriers longer or do they get too heavy?
We will be moving the baby to a Britax Boulevard when she outgrows the infant seat.

I have a Safe Seat. BabyS is almost 20 pounds at 7 months. It is soooo heavy. But I still like the option of letting her continue to sleep (which she won't do if we take her out of the seat). While I don't see us using the seat until it's fully outgrown, I think the ease of instalation is well worth it.

Also, I think many of the less expensive snug ride 22s are rear adjust. IMO, they are a pain to loosen and tighten the harness.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC