Again about the Radian - need thoughts.

monstah

S/O of my other thread. It got off topic and I still need thoughts. :D

DS is 3 years old, will be 4 Oct 3rd. He is over the top slots of the RN.

A Regent is not an option. The GN is out because if I am using the RN past the highest slot, it essentially makes the harness heights equal. (Does that make sense?) I did look into the 86-Y before & I will consider it again. Although, I'm not in love with it because I hate using anything against manufacturers instructions.

Here is a picture of where he is now. My ideal plan is to start booster training him in October after he turns 4 and holding out from using it full time until we are forced to. I thought he would make it to 5 in the RN.
2.jpg

My question: How far past the slots should I be comfortable with? (Considering the other option is probably a Parkway SG.)
You wouldn't suggest I start booster training now, right??
What do I do!!?? I am freaking out!!

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Hm, tough call. *I* would probably start booster training now and see how it goes. If it were to go well, I'd be fine with a booster full-time. If not, I'd get a vest and try again in October. I don't think that a child is in danger in a booster at 46 months and safe at 48.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Well first off, I'd say he is even with the slots on the RN, not actually over them. My DS was even with the top slot of the MA for almost 2 years before he actually went over them. Personally, I'd just pay attention and see how much time you'll actually get before he needs a new seat. You might be surprised. If you can manage to get your RN installed a bit more upright, he'll even gain a bit of room.

Second, I am perfectly comfortable with going over the top slots like the seat says you can. The RN is not the first seat to allow it, nor is it the only seat currently on the market which does. NASCAR allows harness placement up to a 7 degree angle below shoulder height, and the RN, if used until the midpoint of the head is at the top of the shell, is well within those limits.

Third, and finally, he is not going to gain a ton of maturity in the next 7 weeks. If he's not ready to booster train already, you might want to focus your search on your harnessing options. If you'll refresh my memory about what car you drive and what seats and kids you have, I'll see if I come up with any ideas.

christineka

I'd use it till his ears are even with the shell as the manual states. I think in Europe the harness position is opposite here. (Or somewhere- I know I heard of it being different.)

Your 3 yo's torso is longer than my 9.5 yo's!

katieinqc

I am definitely not a CPST or anything - just come here to get advice, but I saw your thread and wanted to say I can relate. My daughter just turned 4 in June and is just a smidge below the top slot in her Radian and less than an inch in the Nautilus. We actually ended up buying a Regent, but I was considering not doing that and just using the Radian above the top slots and then going to booster full-time whenever those 2 are outgrown. (What actually made the decision for me was my son, who is on track to outgrow the other 2 seats even sooner - quite possibly even sooner than your son depending on his growth pattern going forward, and hearing that the Regents were being discontinued. And it wouldn't have been a possibility even then if we hadn't been able to get a new car that it would fit in.) Anyway, she has pretty similar stats to your son and we just put her in the Parkway today (I will not be moving the Regent so she'll still need the booster p/t when the other 2 are outgrown) and I posted a pic here http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=94089 . She did very well her first ride, and it feels very safe with the wings and slide guard; I was surprised how comfortable I felt with her in it. We have been talking a lot about being safe in the car and how she needs to remember to hold still and how important it is that the seatbelt stay on her shoulder. Personally, like a pp said it's not like 48 months is a magic number when they suddenly become mature. My thought is that since you have no way to know exactly when he'll outgrow the Radian, it makes sense to start booster training now so that if it happens quicker than you think, he won't be going to a booster f/t without having any experience with it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It all really depends on the kid. Is it ideal? No. But I've known almost-four-year-olds who sit well in a booster. They are a rarity, and they have to be pretty close usually, but there are a few. (I know many more who are not.) I suppose it's worth a try to see how he will do, if you feel you have no other option.

I missed why the Regent is not an option.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I figured it must be something like that, but wanted to make sure. :)

No chance for the SafeGuard GO? (Again, not sure what car, other seats, etc.) I've found my daughter has at least an extra inch in it over the Radian, when installed in the same spot, etc.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Just one more thing - what is his overall height? Because SK only allows the shoulders to go over the top slots provided the child is 53" or less. As it is right now, I'd have no problems using it. He's not likely to grow 2" in the next 6 months, so I'm guessing you've got a few months at least until he is truly over the slots. :thumbsup:

monstah

Thanks for the replies!

I am OK with using the RN past the highest slots, I knew I was going to need to do that when I bought it. It just happened much sooner than I thought.

I'm not worried about his behavior in a booster. He is quite honestly the best car passenger I have ever known in my life. Seriously, this kid is a complete ANGEL in the car. I could tell you stories. (On hard ground is a different story though.) :rolleyes: Of course, he may surprise me and be a total fidget case with new found freedom. Who knows.

Anway, I think I feel better from the answers that I should be fine holding off booster training for another month or two. I know he isn't anywhere near 53" inches. He is probably equal parts torso to leg. :p

If his growth spurt isn't over yet and he really climbs up in a month or two, I will reevaluate again. This kid does not follow along with normal growth rates.

FWIW, His father, both grandfathers, and his two uncles are all over 6 feet. His uncle needs his shoes specially made and imported because his feet are WAY too big to buy anything in store.
Meanwhile, I am 5'5" and normally 125 pounds.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC