Honda Brochure: Protecting Kids In Your Car

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
We got our new Honda Pilot yesterday (so far, I LOVE it!), and the dealer gave us a GREAT brochure: "What You Need to Know About Protecting Kids in Your Car" (C) 2002 American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

It starts out on page 1 saying that riding in a car is the biggest risk children face every day. Page 2 says to put kids in the back, strap them in seats, and buckle them in a booster until they are big enough for a seatbelt. Page 3 says what to look for when shopping for a seat:
-The seat must meet FMVSS 213.
-The seat must be the right type (RF vs FF).
-The seat must fit the child.
-The seat must fit the vehicle.

Page 4 emphasizes rear facing until at least age 1 and never placing a RF seat in front of an active airbag. Page 5 covers FF seats and reemphasizes that children should rear face as long as possible. Pages 6-7 cover booster use and includes SafetyBeltSafe USA's 5 Step test! Pages 8-9 covers proper seatbelt fit for children too big for a booster and teaching them to remain in position to avoid increased risk of injury (from airbags or otherwise).

Pages 10-11 list "Helpful Tips on Installing Child Seats." This is where the one *big* error in the booklet is located. It says, "The seat doesn't need to be 'rock solid,' but it should be secure enough to stay upright during normal driving." Not anywhere close to Best Practice recommendations! It does go on to say that you should follow the seat maker's instructions, but ACK!

The last page covers safety when the vehicle isn't in motion:
-Never leave kids alone in the car (heat risks).
-Lock all doors and the trunk when your car is not in use (entrapment risk).
-Keep car keys and remote transmitters out of reach.

Overall, this booklet is one of the best I've seen put out by a private agency! It's concice, well written, covers all the basics, only has *one* glaring error, and lots of colorful pictures. I think it would be slightly more effective if they said, "Babies AND TODDLERS," in the rear facing section, and if they emphasized the need to stay RF as long as possible on the Infants page, rather than waiting until the FF page to mention it. I'd certainly consider using it at a check or parents' class if Honda were willing to donate them.

Overall, I'd give it a B+. Well done, Honda!

ADS

bazanna

Senior Community Member
UlrikeDG said:
Pages 10-11 list "Helpful Tips on Installing Child Seats." This is where the one *big* error in the booklet is located. It says, "The seat doesn't need to be 'rock solid,' but it should be secure enough to stay upright during normal driving." Not anywhere close to Best Practice recommendations! It does go on to say that you should follow the seat maker's instructions, but ACK!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :confused:

did you call them?

UlrikeDG

Here's what the Pilot manual says (page 29):

2. Make sure the child seat is firmly
secured.
After installing a child
seat, push and pull the seat
forward and from side to side to
verify that it is secure.

To provide security during normal
driving maneuvers as well as during
a collision, we recommend that
parents secure a child seat as firmly
as possible.

However, a child seat does not need
to be "rock solid." In some vehicles
or seating positions, it may be
difficult to install a child seat so that
it does not move at all. Some side-to-
side or back-and-forth movement can
be expected and should not reduce
the child seat's effectiveness.

If the child seat is not secure, try
installing it in a different seating
position, or use a different style of
child seat that can be firmly secured
in the desired seating position.

bazanna

Senior Community Member
ok that is a LOT better but it would be so much better if they included the one inch of movement rule......

here is a good question.....what is UP with no information about putting a knee in the seat to get it tight? does no one know this? i tell people to do this and they look at me like i have two heads.

when i was younger and stupider and less educated, i still knew to put my knee in the seat to get it TIGHT.

:confused:

UlrikeDG

Actually, both the Pilot manual and the Honda booklet mention putting a knee in the seat to get it in tighter.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC