Question Should I grab up a Regent while I still can?

jb5416

I have the world's tallest 2 year-old, I think. He is currently 29 months and is 40 inches tall. He's currently rf in a TF (only weighs 32.5 lbs) and I am going to turn him when he hits 35 lbs. I tried him in a Regent, Frontier, and a Complete Air this weekend at BRU. The Regent seems huge for him, but it would last him quite a while. He is just a tad above the bottom slots in the Regent. The Frontier was ok too, though did not appear to be of the same quality as the Regent. He has about three inches of strap height in the Frontier before he is at the top. I was completely unimpressed with the Complete Air, and was totally shocked at the price.

Assuming that the money is there, would you snap up a Regent now while they are still available? The alternative would be to leave him in his TF and turn him when he hits 35 lbs., then buy a ???? when he outgrows that. He has about 1.5 inches of grow room (strap-wise) in the TF.

Advice gratefully accepted!
Jessie:)

ADS

Mommy2Marcus

WOW! I would most certainly buy a Regent for a 40 inch 29 month old. With him being that tall, then I can see you needing one. So my thoughts would be YES! Go for it if you can afford it. Someone else just linked the Sahara Regent on Amazon for $179.99. Here is the link!
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A1CLVA"]Amazon.com: Britax Regent Youth Car Seat Sahara: Baby[/ame]

jb5416

Thanks for the advice. He is a whopper, that's for sure. Skinny as a pipe cleaner but so, so tall. I appreciate the Amazon link.

Anyone else? Any rumor of new seats with ridiculously high slots coming out? Elijah is very active and wiggly. Though it's hard to tell, I'm not anticipating he will be the kind of four year-old that is mature enough to sit in a booster. :eek:
Jessie

ginny4

he's a REALLY tall kiddo. i'd consider the regent cause it is the tallest harnessed seat that you KNOW will get him to a good booster age & size. so i'd highly consider it if you can. but who knows what will be out in another yr or more. i really LOVE the regent so hard for me say wait & see.

jb5416

Yeah, I'm a little worried about the wait and see, because it seems like the vast majority of Americans would be fine with putting a wiggly 3 year-old in a booster, therefore making the market for super extended harnessing seats a bit small. I'm not entirely sure anything else will be out in a year or so.... Then again, maybe I'm overthinking this a bit...
Jessie

ginny4

i've been guilty of overthinking too. its only normal. sometimes our best laid plans are changed like mine. i had it all figured out.....never thought i'd buy a regent (wasn't in my original plans). never thought i'd have a newER van this soon. (due to accident)......you just never know. i'd say it couldn't hurt to buy a regent. will you REALLY have needed it come 3-4 yrs from now? i have no idea. did my DD REALLY need a regent? not really but heck i don't have to worry about getting her to 6yo in it either. i don't think you'll be dissapointed if you got the regent. perhaps regret your decision if you didn't get one if your son continues on the same growth curve.

jb5416

Ginny, I think you're right. I liked the Regent so much when we tried it that I would put Elijah in it right after I turn him, instead of having him ff in the True Fit (which I also really like). The other thing is that Britax car seats are ridiculously easy to sell around here. I have sold quite a few and none of them lasted longer than a day on Craig's list.
Jessie

myliljunebugs

If it was me, yes I would buy it. If something cooler/better comes out down the road you can always sell it, most likely without a loss or at least not much of a loss :) But as you can probably tell from my siggy I *love* the Regent and do have children who I won't FT booster. I did with DS, but not until 6 and he was reharnessed just before age 7 since he wouldn't sit still. DD is flighty so unless I can watch her like a hawk (not happening if I'm the only adult) she is harnessed. And that is a great deal! :D

jb5416

You guys are awesome--thanks so much. Just ordered it. Now to find a spare cover--the Sahara just doesn't ring my bell, somehow.
Jessie

dkdean

Not sure I can offer the best advice, but I will say that we LOVE our Regent! We have one for 4.5 y/o DS in each car (Jeep Liberty and a Saturn Relay). We got it when DS was 2.5 and seemed to be outgrowing every seat by height in a short amount of time (Snugride, Evenflo Triumph, BLVD). He is tall (43in) and long-torso'd--but still only 35lbs. I wanted a seat that would get him well past the 4yr/40lb minimum (our state law) and there honestly weren't many seats out there for a long and lean guy w/a longer torso height. I feel that the Regent has been a great value for us since we are getting so much use out of it.

I will say that the torso height has obviously continued, but is not nearly as 'fast' as it was from 0-30months (compared to torso height from 2.5yrs-now/4.5years). In fact, he has been on the same harness setting (3rd one from bottom) since getting the seat. But, you certainly have a tall guy!!! I went back and looked at DS's height at that age and it was 38in :)

Good luck!!

dkdean

You guys are awesome--thanks so much. Just ordered it. Now to find a spare cover--the Sahara just doesn't ring my bell, somehow.
Jessie

I think we posted at the same time! Hopefully my post will help you to know you made a great choice!! :thumbsup:

kandamom

The Regent is a great seat! I have a tall 2-year-old as well, so I'm probably crazy for even thinking about selling mine. My son was actually measured at 38.5" at his 2-year check-up, but I think that was a little on the high side. At 25 months, I'm measuring him at just a hair under 38". The Regent is a huge seat for him now, but it is currently only used as a back-up seat, since I prefer to have ds2 rear facing.

It's so hard to predict how they will grow. My ds1 started off very tall (and heavy), but his growth really slowed down after 4 or so, and it has been mostly in the legs. You really can't go wrong with the Regent, especially at that price. Worst case scenario is that your son is ready for a booster before outgrowing it.;) (I let ds1 switch to a booster at 6.5. A year later, he still has a ton of room in the Regent.) My ds1 actually picked the sahara over the onyx when we bought it. I think it looks really nice in person.

Rebecca
K - 7.5, 51.5", 57 lbs, Monterey
A - 25 months, 37.5", 32 lbs, rf in a Radian65

ginny4

Jessie

:thumbsup: there aren't too many choices for a regent cover tho. for a guy its sahara or onyx. that's IT. you might find some older covers liek the classic (black with tanish black checks) or marina (blue) around. basically BORING. LOL

ginny4

oh yes cougar too. that's a nice looking cover too. thanks. i realize i missed the huntington (tan) too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC