When to booster train?

When should I start using the Oobr?

• Start training him when it arrives - he is old enough, weighs enough and is mature enough

Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Wait until he is closer to 7 (feb) then start training

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Wait until he is closer to 45-50lbs even if that could be awhile

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Wait until spring - get through the winter in the Frontier it is safer

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

momto2princes

DS#1 is nearly 6.5 and probably like 42lbs very mature and currently in a Frontier. I ordered him an Oobr which we will probably get sometime in September. I am trying to decide when to start allowing him to use it.

Please vote in my poll to help me make some decisions.

Thanks!

ADS

Mommy2Marcus

I think that since he is 6 1/2, over 40lbs & mature that you should start training him when the booster arrives. If he was inmature than I would wait.

ETA: The reason I think this is b/c if he has to ride with someone else, he can use the booster & know how to properly use it.

momofmandp

I think that if it were me, I would start booster training now so that he knows how to properly use a booster, but I would probably keep him in the Frontier in the main car and/or longer car rides.

vermontmoms

I think you should wait till he weighs more unless he is going to be riding in a booster in someone elses car occasionally.

I have two 6yr olds that weigh 42 and 43lbs and are 48in tall and feel they are just too skinny to be in a booster. To me the adult seatbelt just doesn't seem to provide the same protection as a 5pt (this is not based on research and no I am not a tech just personal reasoning). To me I would keep him in the Frontier since you have it and he still fits.

We have two regents and I won't let them ride w/anyone else so no need to booster train mine at this point. Next summer maybe but we bought the regents to keep them harnessed till they outgrow and that is what we plan on doing. We may get boosters next summer for our second car but we will see.

HTH ~ Jen
:twocents:

Evolily

Booster train. At 6 and over 40 I'd try to move out of the harness completely unless there was some developmental/behavioral issue going on.

Splash

If he were my child he'd likely be out of a harness entirely at this point, so I see no need to delay part time boostering for a child his age.

Last edited:

momto2princes

Thank you so much for all the responses. It makes me feel more confident to see so many others would do the same. I think I will start training when it arrives. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my poll and respond. I love this board!!

AtTheSouthDam

Bethany will be out of the Regent by that age has been booster training periodically since she hit 40#. I would start booster training him as soon as it arrives. Besides, would you really be able to wait? I can't wait to get my hands on my Oobr!

Maedze

Splash meant harness, I think ;)

BTW, good ahead and booster train him. There's no evidence at all to suggest that keeping him in the harness is safer. 40 pounds is more than big enough to fit safely in a booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC