*&^#(*$#_*$!!

monstah

Are you serious. My 3 year old is over the top slots on his Radian. I almost passed out right there this morning. I took a picture with my cell phone to post here but it's not coming up in my email. I'll work on that later. :thumbsup: I checked before we left the house, when we got to Target, and when we left Target. He is solidly over. :crying: It's like a freak torso growth spurt.

He was at the top slots for a while in our old car. After we bought a new car, he "shrank" in his seat in that car and had room to grow. WTH happened.

Obviously, I don't have a choice but to use it over the top slot. (Only allowed on the Radians.) And I am OK with that. I have to be.

I should still wait until he is 4 to start booster training, right?? I have a SG in my attic, but had no plans on taking it down until after his 4th birthday. (Oct 3rd.)

Pictures to follow, when DD1 goes down for her nap.

ADS

Lea_Ontario

Your Radian - is it one with a 48-lb limit, or one of the higher weighted ones (the 65 or 80) ?

I just have a hard time picturing a 3-yr old being over the top slots, he must be VERY tall ! My 5-yr (she'll be 5 in about 3 weeks) old still has LOTS of room in hers.

Last edited:

zactayaus

Wow! Sounds like he has one long torso!

I'm thinking my DS3 will be like that. He's only 3 months old and has like a 12 inch torso already!:eek: My 6yo only has a 15 1/2 inch torso.:p

ZephyrBlue

Holy long torso, Batman! :eek:

My 6.5yo has close to 2 more inches till she hits the top slot on her XT.

I'd have been freaked out and bummed, too!

monstah

These are the the most recent pictures I can find on Photobucket of him.

This was a few months ago, with what I considered PLENTY of growing room.
100_4899.jpg

This was taken last spring? maybe. He is in a long sleeve, so it was before summer started.
100_4462.jpg

Doesn't it look like he shrunk!? And now he is bigger than in that second photo.

ETA: In the second photo the seat was installed with LATCH and now it's installed with the seatbelt.
Also ETA: I can stand next to DH and our hips are almost even, but he is 7" taller than me. All torso.

wimama

I feel you pain. I just realized last week my 3 year old DS has about outgrown his Boulevard. I measured his torso height and I got 16".:eek:

On a geeky note, I wanted to know just how long an adult torso is. I was trying to figure out how much more DS's torso might grow. I had my DH measure my torso length and I measured DH torso length. We are both have long torsos so our son's long torso was inevitable.:rolleyes:

Me-25" I am 5'7"
DH-26" He is 6'1"

Not very scientific because the same person didn't do all the measurements.

We have been looking at the Frontier and Regent as replacements. I think we are going with a Frontier and gamble with him not outgrowing the harness too soon or gambling on another higher harness seat like the Regent coming out in the next two years. The Regent has the highest harness height out there.

Have you measured how long his torso is?

momto2princes

Your son is adorable I love his smile!

He is obviously bigger than the average 3 and possibly 4 year old based on the pictures and his weight in your siggy.

I don't know the top slots height is on the radian off the top of my head but if there is any seat with higher ones I would be getting one in a heartbeat based on his age. Even if it meant just an extra 6 months in a harness based on growth spurts (but hopefully if he just had a big one he might stay the same for a while now).

momofmandp

Your son is cute! :) I think the Radian has 17.5" top slots, right? And I think the Regent is 19.5-20". I agree w/ the pp, if it were me, I'd get a Regent to keep him harnessed longer. I think you'd probably be able to get at least 1 year out of it...maybe 2, right? And at least you have younger children you can pass it down to. Regents are on sale at Amazon for $179.99 too. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Britax-Regent-Youth-Seat-Sahara/dp/B000UCV2SC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1245713820&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Britax Regent Youth Car Seat Sahara: Baby[/ame]

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
So..according to your sig, he's very nearly 4, and 50 lbs? thats a giant kid, but he is certainly within the realm of booistering, IF his maturity level is there. Otherwise, the regent isn't a bad option, unless you onlyhave a 5-seater vehicle for your 3 kids? In that case, the radian is likely necesary for a 3-across, right?

Personally? Assuming no 3-across needed, I'd probably get a nautilus for him, if it will give him at least 3/4 of an inch of growth when installed in your vehicle..because even though it's not a lot, since he just HAD a giant growth spurt, it'll very likely buy you at least 6 months or more, and at that age, I'd personally want the additional harnessed time. And i loathe and distrust the regent. (It failed too many times in NHTSA testing for me to personally feel comfortable using it, sorry, that's just me, and not a rec i would give a parent.)

I'll stop talking about my used-to-be-giant, but now is fairly average, still some what-long-torsoed kid now.

BeckC

Can you use the 86Y (or Kid-Y) with the Parkway SG? Then you'd essentially have a 5pt harness. I know someone whose just turned 2 year old has a really long torso and that's what she's thinking of if he outgrows the Regent before he's ready for a booster.

monstah

I'm going to look into the 86-Y. Maybe I can find one in swap.

Here is the pic I got from my cell phone. I tried to take another better one but DS wouldn't cooperate. It looks worse IRL too.

2.jpg

How much longer do you think I keep him in this seat without having to switch to a booster?

The Regent isn't an option. I had one and I despise that seat so much I would rather put him in a booster.

Mama!

Bless your heart, I feel your pain :( My just turned 4 yo is now in a Regent b/c of those darn tall genes of his.

Jennifer mom to my 7

So..according to your sig, he's very nearly 4, and 50 lbs? thats a giant kid, but he is certainly within the realm of booistering, IF his maturity level is there. Otherwise, the regent isn't a bad option, unless you onlyhave a 5-seater vehicle for your 3 kids? In that case, the radian is likely necesary for a 3-across, right?

Personally? Assuming no 3-across needed, I'd probably get a nautilus for him, if it will give him at least 3/4 of an inch of growth when installed in your vehicle..because even though it's not a lot, since he just HAD a giant growth spurt, it'll very likely buy you at least 6 months or more, and at that age, I'd personally want the additional harnessed time. And i loathe and distrust the regent. (It failed too many times in NHTSA testing for me to personally feel comfortable using it, sorry, that's just me, and not a rec i would give a parent.)

I'll stop talking about my used-to-be-giant, but now is fairly average, still some what-long-torsoed kid now.

Please talk a bit more about the failed testing of the regent (in pm if you must;)). My dd is almost 4, just like the op, and has outgrown the decathlon as upright as I can get it (so a true 17+ inches) and is in a nautilus and regent. Nautilus top slot, regent 3rd slot. Installed short belt path, recline bar, per new instructions, and recall kit installed. 40 + pounds, 42 inches or so.

myliljunebugs

Please talk a bit more about the failed testing of the regent (in pm if you must;)). My dd is almost 4, just like the op, and has outgrown the decathlon as upright as I can get it (so a true 17+ inches) and is in a nautilus and regent. Nautilus top slot, regent 3rd slot. Installed short belt path, recline bar, per new instructions, and recall kit installed. 40 + pounds, 42 inches or so.

I also would like to know about this considering I have both of my kids harnessed in Regents. :eek::confused:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC