Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any use a bjorn carrier w/lumbar support?

I'm looking for a more supportive carrier for my aching back. I don't have back problems but at 3 month old and 16 1/2 lbs my little guy is killing my back and my shoulders in his snugli carrier. I use it all the time and it worked great when he didn't weigh so much but now it's not so great.

I'm looking into the baby bjorn active carrier w/lumbar support.

Anyone use one?

Does it really help with your back?

I'm not into wraps so if you want to suggest something else to me please make sure it's not a wrap.

Zack 12/20/90 Taylor 5/11/98
    Austin 4/16/03 69lbs 58" Happily riding in Incognitos!
    Gavin 4/20/09 53lbs, 47" FF in an RXT, GN, and 2 FR85's
    DN Olivia 10/2/14 riding in an SR35

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Any use a bjorn carrier w/lumbar support?

At already 16.5 lbs I really wouldn't waste the money on the Bjorn. I'm not a huge fan of the Bjorn to start with.

I'd get a Beco Butterfly. You can also carry him on your back or your front that way and they come in plain black and brown if you don't want something too "crunchy" looking You could also go with an Ergo, I'm just partial to my Beco

Do you have a preference to ties or buckles?
    DD1--4/6/2006--Britax Parkway SGL
    DD2--12/9/2012--Britax Advocate and Marathon

You def dont want a bjorn, your little guy is going to murder your back in one of those.

The comfiest carrier I have ever used is a Babyhawk. It might look intimadating, but it's not. You can adjust it endlessly to help your back. I find mine invaluable and I have a bad back. In second place I would suggest an Ergo and the Beco comes in 3rd.

ETA: I have a bjorn and can't use it past 15-17 pounds.

Senior Community Member

I bought a baby bjorn with lumbar suppost and returned it the same day. Baby S was about 14 lbs then and wow it hurt my back.

I would go Ergo/Beco or BabyHawk. I like all 3 though the first where more secure for back carries at an earlier age.
    J-10.5 yrs, 100 lbs, 4 ft 10.5 ins-adult seatbelt
    C-9yrs-Britax Parkway SG, Clek ozzi, Incognito
    S-6.5 yrs -Britax Parkway SG,

I have the Bjorn with lumbar support and I like it. Kenzie is about14lbs now and I just used it yesterday. I have an Ergo, too and love it, but she can't face out(I know, apparently, it's bad to face them out, but whatever) in it. This is why I use the Bjorn. The Bjorn will be a million times better than a Snugli, but definately try to find one used. I got mine for $13 at Goodwill. Oh my friend has a Beco and aside from not being able to face out, she loves it. She has worn her DD on her back since about 4mths old.
    Jacky, CPST and mom to Kenzie(5) and Maverick(3) Riding in a Frontier, Marathon 70 and Radian, Safety 1st Store N Go and Evenflo Right Fit

Senior Community Member

Oh, I forgot the Pikkolo!

The Pikkolo allows FFing! I was looking at one of these if Baby S turned out to be like J (carried him a bjorn till he was about a year old FFing only).

NEver tried it myself but heard good things about it.

http://www.theportablebaby.com/pikkolo.html (And this lady have awesome CS and a great return policy!)
    J-10.5 yrs, 100 lbs, 4 ft 10.5 ins-adult seatbelt
    C-9yrs-Britax Parkway SG, Clek ozzi, Incognito
    S-6.5 yrs -Britax Parkway SG,

Thanks for the replies so far.

I am looking to purchase used because I just can't afford the prices of the new carriers. I do FF face him in the snugli on occassion so I would kind of like to have this option on the carrier I decide to purchase. I don't really care to put him on my back at this point. It would make me to nervous because I wouldn't be able to see him.

The Pikkolo did look interesting but rather expensive. I'd have to find one used.

Keep the comments comming ladies.

Senior Community Member SuzaBanana's Avatar

We have the Bjorn with lumbar and love it. DD is nearing 22 lbs and while I don't put her in it often anymore, DH uses it for nearly everything - shopping, going to the park, beach, walking the dog etc. DH has a bad back with 3 titanium-fused vertabrae and finds it comfortable. We're starting the search for a back-carrier now, but the Bjorn has been great this past year.
    integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching

Have you checked out diaperswappers.com? They have a "swap" section there that is strictly baby carriers.

I just wanted to echo others and recommend an Ergo carrier. I believe the cost is actually less than the Bjorn with support ($130 vs $105).

I started out with the Bjorn w/support, and once ds1 got up over 15 pounds or so, it killed my back. For ds2, I sold the Bjorn and got the Ergo, and I L.O.V.E. it!!

Good luck!
    Marilyn, proud mama of Liam (11/06), Jackson (02/09), and new baby girl to arrive in June!!

I've used a Bjorn without lumbar support, and it was uncomfortable around 20 pounds. I have a Bjorn with lumbar support, and it doesn't bother me at 20 pounds. How thin are you? My mom is size 5'1", 8ish, and the Bjorn won't tighten far enough for her, neither the shoulder straps nor the waist strap. She can wear it and it's okay, but probably not for an extended period, and I don't think she's getting any benefit from the lumbar.

Thebabywearer.com also has a swap section. I would guess they would have the biggest/best for this kind of thing, just because that's what that site is dedicated to.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Quote Originally Posted by 2mykids View Post
    Have you checked out diaperswappers.com? They have a "swap" section there that is strictly baby carriers.
    No I haven't. Do you have to be a member with certain standings first to be able to participate in the swap like on here?

Quote Originally Posted by pixels99 View Post
    I've used a Bjorn without lumbar support, and it was uncomfortable around 20 pounds. I have a Bjorn with lumbar support, and it doesn't bother me at 20 pounds. How thin are you? My mom is size 5'1", 8ish, and the Bjorn won't tighten far enough for her, neither the shoulder straps nor the waist strap. She can wear it and it's okay, but probably not for an extended period, and I don't think she's getting any benefit from the lumbar.

Thebabywearer.com also has a swap section. I would guess they would have the biggest/best for this kind of thing, just because that's what that site is dedicated to.
    I am on the thin side. I'm 5' 3" and around 136lbs although I am normaly about 120lbs. I just haven't lost all the weight from DS3 yet.

And again do you have to be a member with certain standings for thebabywearer.com?

Thanks.

I have the Baby Bjorn with the lumbar. DS#2 is probably around 10 lbs. I think it is way better than the original baby bjorn, but my back was still bothering me yesterday after using it for a while. I plan to get an Ergo using the magic beans promotion. The Sport version is a little cheaper, and with their coupon, I am ok with the price.

Quote Originally Posted by zactayaus View Post
    And again do you have to be a member with certain standings for thebabywearer.com?

Thanks.
    I'm pretty sure it's like here, there's certain requirements to post, but anybody can reply with a PM.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Senior Community Member seamonkeys's Avatar

I had the active back one with DS2. Around 13 lbs I had to stop using it. It wasn't my back that hurt, but my shoulder! Killed me! And the weird thing is I used the original with DS1 till almost a year with no problems.

I have the Ergo now and love it. I've never tried a Beco or Babyhawk, but the Ergo has buckles, so I think it's super easy to get on quickly. And you can use it on the hip so that they're facing outward a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ctbcleveland View Post
    I have the Baby Bjorn with the lumbar. DS#2 is probably around 10 lbs. I think it is way better than the original baby bjorn, but my back was still bothering me yesterday after using it for a while. I plan to get an Ergo using the magic beans promotion. The Sport version is a little cheaper, and with their coupon, I am ok with the price.

What is the promotion? Is there a coupon code?

Senior Community Member 2BunniesMommy's Avatar

With DD1 I had an original Bjorn and it was hard to carry her in it after about 15lbs. With DD2 I got this one
    http://www.babybjorn.com/en/American...rrier-Synergy/
    I don't remember when she got too heavy for it. Not too long after, but it didn't fit me right. I am bigger and once it was around me the lumbar support was too high to do any good. I think on someone not so big around it might work well, since it did allow me to carry DD2 to a little bit higher weight.

Chimning in late.

I'm shorter (5'2" on a tall day) and I LOVE my Beco Butterfly. It goes on a lot like a Bjorn (had one of those for DD) but you can use it on your back too. It cannot be used facing out, however. It is SO much more supportive than a Bjorn or even a normal MT for both mom and baby- the baby sits instead of hanging from their crotch. I wore DS1 last year for hours on a hike and wasn't sore at all. DS2 feals almost non-existent in it- especially on my back, but front is good too.

There's a yahoo swap group for carriers and there have been several used Becos on there in the past few days.

9 yr old in a pink zebra NBB and 5-stepping
    6 yr DS1 old in a Harmony
    4 yr old DS2 in a Nautilus and Radian
    18 mo DS3 rfing in a MyRide65

Quote Originally Posted by zactayaus View Post
    It's 30 days and 30 posts to list something, but you can PM anyone. You'll need a username, though. There was a thread about selling to someone with zero posts and zero feedback, and most of the mamas said they'd be OK with it because you have to start somewhere.

Ugh! Now I don't know what to get. I have been looking into all the carriers you ladies have suggested. I did find a beco butterfly 2 in the custom owl print for $75 on my local craigslist. It's located only 15 minutes from my house. I just emailed the lady to see if I could come try it out. We'll see what she says. It says it's in excellent condition (only used twice because they adopted and the child was already walking) and it comes with a dvd, booklet, infant insert, and headrest.

Is that a good price?