Stupid ford seatbelts. aka my nephew is mad at me.

RubysGirl

Ford and their motorized restraints that move on a track suck. Mine is jammed. I can't unplug the motor it's so tight in the access hole. My nephew is pissed because I refuse to driving him to work.

Can everybody pray that it will spontaniously start working again? I have a trip to sacramento this weekend. :(

ADS

lovinwaves

Ford and their motorized restraints that move on a track suck. Mine is jammed. I can't unplug the motor it's so tight in the access hole. My nephew is pissed because I refuse to driving him to work.

Can everybody pray that it will spontaniously start working again? I have a trip to sacramento this weekend. :(

My ex-boyfriend from highschool had a Ford Probe that had the shoulder belt on a motorized track on the door. He got pulled over one day by a cop for not having his seatbelt on, and the reason was the same problem you are having. The cop told him Ford should fix the seatbelt ASAP and it should be free of charge.

Well, my boyfriend went to FORD and they DID fix it free of charge. I can't remember what they did to fix it, but it might have been under some kind of recall????

Good luck in the meantime, but you may want to check that out. ;)

RubysGirl

Yeah, I plan on calling ford. I had the female end of my lapbelt replaced, I had to pay for it though. It spontaniously stopped latching. I'm going to call corporate today and raise hell. My mom's broke in her car too, she couldn't get them to cover it so she just wound it back and left it.

It's just a very poor design. I don't think they perform well in crashes, either. When I reported the defect with my buckle I found lots of complaints about the shoulderbelt coming undone in crashes. Makes me super paranoid, trust me.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I agree, you may be able to have the problem fixed gratis. I used to have the motorized shoulder belts in the front seat on a mid-90s Saturn S-series, and they required lubrication of some sort in the tracks and could be trouble-prone even when lubricated. :rolleyes: Hope Ford will fix yours ASAP, good luck.

RubysGirl

Well I called ford, apparently they only fix seatbelts for the first five years or fiftythousand miles. After that they don't garentee them to work.

lovinwaves

Well I called ford, apparently they only fix seatbelts for the first five years or fiftythousand miles. After that they don't garentee them to work.

Ok, well that's just crap. Start raisin' some H*ll!!! A seatbelt is a NECESSITY!!! They should fix it!! I am going to call my old highschool sweetheart(we are still friends) and ask him again the details of whathappened and what Ford told him. Hopefully he will remember.
I'll post back ;)

RubysGirl

I'm on the phone again, I have another rep. He is currently researching what may be available. Keep your fingers crossed.

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
They will fix it if you are willing to pay for it right? I understand that its not covered by the warrenty anymore so it shouldn't be done for free but will they do it at all? If not then you need to keep calling people.

Rachel

RubysGirl

I can hae it done but we're looking at 400+ since the dealership charges so much per hour. We don't have that kind of money lying around. If I did I wouldn't be driving such an old car. I would think bare minimum restraints should outlive the vehicle.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Wow, that really bites ~ I don't have any more ideas that what you're already doing, but my fingers are crossed for ya...!

scatterbunny

Oh, that totally sucks. :( I hope you are able to talk to someone who is willing to fix it for free.

I had the motorized shoulderbelts in the front of a 1991 Honda Accord, I was always worried about them! They made such awful noise for one thing, and sometimes they would run soooo slowly that I just knew they would break (they never did).

Just one more reason it sucks having to drive an older vehicle. I worry all the time that my seatbelts aren't safe in the 1994 Mazda MPV that I drive now. They just look dirty and old. We were dreaming of a new vehicle this new year, but it doesn't look like it's happening. We need to spend roughly $500 on new carseats (and tether anchors) for Hayley within the next month or two, pay off a laptop (computer, not child restraint, LOL) and learn how to stay on a budget. Maybe this time next year we can get a newer, safer vehicle.

Now I'm done rambling. Good luck to you!

RubysGirl

Yeah, it was over 100 just to have my buckle replaced two years ago. I know if I need parts for this it's going to cost oodles more. Some of the canadian models had regular seatbelts, I asked them if they could change mine then and they couldn't. I actually only wanted the passenger side fixed, so I could put a carseat there from time to time. I have to use a belt shortening clip there and no modern carseats allow install with the seatbelts I have up front, shortening clip or not.

msantiago3

Do you know anyone that is mechanically inclined and could understand step by step directions to fix it? My husband is a Ford Mechanic and maybe he could talk to someone over the phone for you and walk them through it.

RubysGirl

I finally got the moter unplugged, but I can't wind it back. If I could just get it to wind back I can drive the car. I'll just have to climb in and out of the belt. (the buckle doesn't always like to buckle, I'm not going to risk wearing that out.) I think I'm going to need some graphite spray for the track. I'm not sure if I should use it though.

RubysGirl

Well I got it wound back after I lubed the track with silicone spray. It worked for a bit but then got stuck in the same spot. I unplugged it again and wound it back. I'm just going to leave it till I get a brush to clean the track with. Hopefully it will work again, but if it doesn't it's not the end of the world since it's clicked into the locked position.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC