2005 Kia Sedona lower UAS weight limit ?

Lea_Ontario

Does anyone know what the maximum weight limit is for the lower UAS connectors in a 2005 Kia Sedona ?

The owner's manual defers to the child restraint. I'll likely contact Kia Canada, but they've been less than helpful in the past.

The True Fit manual defers to the vehicle manual, and the vehicle manual defers to the child restraint manual - helpful as NOTHING.

I need to check the Radian manual to see if it says anything.

I hate installing the Radian with the seatbelt - HATE it.

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The LATCH manual indicates Kia didn't specify or provide a lower LATCH anchor installation weight limit, and the LATCH manual generally applies to both U.S. and Canadian model vehicles. I know you must be going in circles with a carseat that defers to the manufacturer and vice versa. :eek: U.S. Radians specify a LATCH limit of 48 lbs., but I seem to remember reading that Canadian model Radians either had a higher LATCH install weight limit, or didn't specify one. I'd abide by whatever limit your Radian's manual specifies, and probably opt to use the seatbelt for the TF beyond 48 lbs. if the First Years or Kia doesn't provide you with better guidance.

MarathonMama

I just emailed Kia Canada about this a few weeks ago and they deferred to the carseat's instruction manual as well.

BTW, what is the UAS limit for a Ma? RN? in Canada?

Lea_Ontario

Kia's reply e-mail :

As per the Owner's Manual for your 2005 Kia Sedona, section Child Seat Lower Anchors, it states: Always follow the installation and use instructions provided by the manufacturer of the child restraint. The ISOFIX child restraints in your vehicle is equipped for only ISOFIX child restraint seats. Since each restraint seat is different, this is the reason our manual states you must use the guidelines of the individual seat manufacturer.

I can advise your Owner's Manual states not to mount more than one child restraint to a single tether or to a child restraint lower anchorage point. The improper increase load may cause the anchorage points to tether anchor to break.

Okay - I quoted the manual in my e-mail question, and they used the SAME quote back to me as an answer ?!?! BAH !

And where they got the idea that I was asking if I could mount two seats to the same anchor, I do not know - I guess they're trying to cover their butts there (or mine, I suppose).

Lea_Ontario

Okay - the online manual for the Radian says this on page 4 and on page 20:

Do not use vehicle's lower universal anchorage system when installing this restraint for a child weighing more than 65lbs (30kg).

Odd wording, seeing as the seat is only rated to 65lbs !

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
To the best of my knowledge, Kia has never done anything other than refer to the manufacturer..which absolutely KILLS me, becauwse it means I can latch my nauti to 48, but the frontier, which is the true nightmare install, only to 40.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC