Tender-headed kids

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I just thought of a past thread (a different one than what's quoted below) in which Jenny & I & someone else (sorry I forget who!) were discussing how tender-headed our kids can be. Then I looked at Hayley's picture with the little clips & chuckled at a memory of Leila & her Daddy from this past weekend: she had 2 large french braids wrapping around the sides of her head to the nape of her neck + a high poney tail braided down into the others (hard to explain) ~ Moise grabbed it playfully yet gently in the hotel lobby & you'd have thought he was beating her up the way she screamed & cried on about it! He's sensitive about that being that he's had to call Child Protective Services himself on other families when he was the ER doc *SIGH* so it was a job to calm the 2 of them down, LOL ... I explained to her that Daddy was just being silly & didn't know it would hurt; I explained to him that those little whispy hairs at her neck line are extra sensitive *SIGH* Anyway, seeing Hayley's clips also had me chuckle at the memory of when I tried using clips on Leila ~ soooooo not a good idea with her! Getting them out was #e!! (tiny strands got stuck in the cracks where the clips bend) Lately I've been doing just cornrows because it's the easiest thing on her ~ although it takes the longest it's the least injurious, LOL ... in the tub I comb through the conditioner & part it in the water to do some loose regular braids then we sit down for a long movie + snack & I finish combing/braiding each section with the help of some leave in spray conditioner + hair lotion (this way I can leave it in for a week). Just curious how others handle sensitive scalps??? Oh yeah, and here's a copy of another thread somewhat explaining our hair adventures:

Ugh, reminds me of when I cut Leila's hair for the 1st time -- she was almost 4 & she had tight ringlet curls (not kinky or frizzy like her 1/2 sis) down to her WAIST ... now it's kinking & frizzing like crazy in the back (?!) I thought I was saving her frustration & pain by cutting it, but now it's so much more difficult to take care of *SIGH* I don't dare cut it again because she's not mature enough to take care of it herself yet (she convinced me to let her try a "loose + free" hairstyle for Thanksgiving & it was dredlocking by noon *SIGH* at least while it's long I can braid it safely & comfortably out of the way....

Here's her curls at about 7 months old
2002fall-CrawlingNaked.jpg

2 years old
2004summer-1stPottyAlone.jpg

After 1st & only haircut
2005fall-1stHairCut-5inches.jpg

Looks nice from the front, but the back can be horrifying, LOL!

ADS

scatterbunny

Oh, what a day for you to post this. With all of us being sick and the craziness of being without power over the weekend Hayley's hair has not been brushed in four days. :eek: Tomorrow she's getting in the tub and her hair is getting SOAKED in conditioner before we even try to comb through it.

She begs me every day not to put her hair in pigtails or a ponytail, "just barrettes, Mama, please!" :rolleyes: I feel so bad for her because I know how she feels. I still have traumatic memories of my mom doing my hair, feeling like she was carelessly raking through it, hurting me on purpose, or at the very least just not trying to be gentle.

Now, as the mom, I think I realize she WAS trying to be careful; sensitive scalps just run in the family.

hsjwmom

Tiffany, I have been wanting to suggest something and you gave me the perfect opening! :D A friend of mine has 3 gorgeous mixed kids, two of which are girls. I remember when I met her, her girls were about Leila's age. I was super impressed with what she had done with her girls' hair. I asked about it because I am mixed too and my (very) white mom had NO CLUE what to do with my or my sister's curls and ended up cutting ours short when we were little. ANYWAY, (sorry, I do tend to ramble :)) What she did was section the girls' hair and just start twisting until it looped back on itself. It looked so pretty and she said it was pretty easy to take care of. She had actually got a book from the library that showed how to do it. It would be an alternative to braiding and I think a bit less time consuming. Anyway, I hope this helps a bit and I totally feel for Leila....Those "baby" hairs at the neck ARE super sensitive!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Oi, 4 days ~ good luck Jenny & (((Hayley)))!

Milcah, yes we do that with Leila's older 1/2 sis & it's great for her :) But, I've tried it with Leila & it just doesn't hold :confused: It would if I could put rubberbands at the top near the scalp, but that's the worst thing for her! She actually asked me to do it that way for her school picture so I did, but trying to get them out afterwards was sooooo difficult on her :( I only got 4 out of a dozen out when she begged to just leave them ~ so I did ... we left them in till they basically crumbled out & then we had "fun" combing through the sheet fuzzies that had accumulated in it's place *SIGH* I even tried twisting 2 strands together & puting the rubber bands at the bottom but the twists just didn't stay??? I don't get it; it works on Naishi *SHRUG*

As long as we give ourselves plenty of time, a good long movie & yummy snacks she usually does well with the cornrows, though. It's just a PITB with my schedule!

hsjwmom

I'm guessing that her hair is too silky for the style...it looks like it in the last picture. Her hair is gorgeous! When she is older and can take care of her own hair, buy stock in Paul Mitchell! Their conditioning mousse is the best for taming and conditioning super curly hair! It has literally taken me YEARS to learn to style my hair!

I'm fortunate that my older daughter takes after my dh and has mostly straight hair. (weird thing, though, it snarls and mats up VERY easily) My younger dd has my curls, and I am embarrassed to say, I comb just enough around the edge to put it in a ponytail and then leave her ponytail a matted mess :eek: (90% of the time) She is not super tenderheaded about ponytails but HATES it when I completely comb it out. I frankly don't have the time or patience to fight her! My elder dd, asks me to put her hair in a bunch of braids (usually 5 cornrows) to make it ripply! I'm totally grateful that my younger LOVES having curly hair. She wants to look like Mama :) After her bath (the only time I can comb her hair easily) she asks me to put mousse in it!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Aw, I'm not sure why exactly, but I've got a big grin about your 2 girls :D

& you're right, Leila's hair is really silky ~ she has the kind of hair I wish I could have but no perm in the world could do it ;) I'm sure it'll be a tough road ahead, but some day I think she'll love her hair :) (I hope so anyway!)

Yoshi

My daughter has extremely fine hair that snarls and mats so easily- We swear by the Johnson & Johnson Buddies No More Tangles Easy Comb Conditioner(in the bright orange tube) NOT the spray on stuff- it is the conditioner cream. IMO, it is a miracle conditioner- and it rinses clean, doesn't dull or feel oily- works on all hair types.

She was born with a ton of hair which she never lost, it just kept growing. It has never changed in texture, though, still baby-fine with some waves and curls- about mid-back length. I won't cut it because my mom kept my hair boy-short as a child because of my thick curls which were hard to manage. I have a short-hair complex, LOL! I was mistaken for a boy until I was about 11!!!! I'll let her decide whether she wants it shorter at some point.

skaterbabs

Yoshi, my parents were like your mom, except for different reasons. I'm VERY tender-headed and they kept it short because it snarles and tangles so easily, but it's thin and fine, so a short haircut is not flattering. Thankfully, Joyjoy does not seem to be as tender-headed as I am, although my sister's girls are.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Heh, my bestfriend has white-blonde hair like Leila's & her mom always kept it short, too ... she had the funniest scraggly white-girl 'fro growing up :p Of course she hated it & in highschool she actually burned a bunch of her chidlhood pix because of it :( She always checks up on me about Leila's hair, to make sure I'm doing right by her :) I use the Motions For Kids or Just For Me stuff for Leila: some of it is greasy, but necessary for the tips/ends ~ I'll look into that Johnson's stuff in the tube (the spray left a yucky film) THANKS

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Yoshi, my parents were like your mom, except for different reasons. I'm VERY tender-headed and they kept it short because it snarles and tangles so easily, but it's thin and fine, so a short haircut is not flattering. Thankfully, Joyjoy does not seem to be as tender-headed as I am, although my sister's girls are.

:confused: So if you don't do short for thin/fine hair, what do you do?

I'm a total tow head, but I seldom (ever?) have trouble with snarls or tangles - now static, that's another story!! Just looking at a stocking cap makes me look like I've touched one of those "balls" from science class. :p

I had my first hair cut at age 3. At it's longest (age 6-8), it was shoulder length. However, when it was up in pony tails, I used the small covered rubberbands and then they were twisted 2-3 times. My hair "lies down and plays dead" REALLY well, with the exception of 2-3 annoying little waves, so I just go with the a "boy" cut that I can curl the edges under or get by with towel drying.

Growing up, I had a friend who was "mixed" and I remember her mom freaking out when she brushed against my hair ("There's nothing there!") while we sat in front of her.

I'm SOOO envious of Leila's hair!

skaterbabs

well, mine is half-way down my back and all one length. lol 99% of the time I pull it back into a pony tail, unless I need to dress up, then I can do all sorts of neat things with it. Some of the cooler ones don't work because it's so thin, but I can curl it to make it look fuller. It's sooo simple to deal with, and much better in hot weather because I can get it wet, pile the whole thing in a knot on top of my head and leave it there. lol Cold weather is a bit more of a challenge because it takes forever to dry, but when it's cold I wash at night and leave it down the next day.

Lara

Leila has BEAUTIFUL hair!

My dd's hair is VERY thick, very fine, and very long. She will not let me brush it much because she says it hurts even when its not a big tangly mess. So I guess she is probably tender headed. (OR she is just being 2, and doesn't want to sit still :rolleyes: )

Anyway, I usually put it in a half ponytail, but use a bow instead of a hair tie because the bows don't bother her much. I make all of her bows, and put rubber bands on the clip part so they don't slide out of her hair.

I also swear by that Johnson's conditioner in the orange tube! It works wonders for getting the tangles out.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I was one of those little girls with a boy-short hair cut too! ;) At the time I hated it and thought I was the only girl ever to have short hair! My hair wasn't even curly or all that hard to deal with, but my mom still thought it was too much of a hassle, so they cut it short and then pierced my ears so that people would still know I was a girl (I was 3 when they cut it). My DD has very thick, long, and fine hair that tangles easily, and I have found it is much easier to use 'grown up' shampoo & conditioner than baby/kid shampoo. We have a naturally based brand that we use, and I am careful to keep it out of her eyes. It has done wonders for her hair when the kid shampoo never did anything good for it!

skaterbabs

Lara, have you tried doing her hair in front of a miror where SHE can see? We have a chair in the bathroom that Joyjoy stands on for teeth brushing and hair. She likes to primp in the mirror while I do her hair. lol The other thing we do is I do her hair while she's watching Dora or something.

Lara

Yep thats how its normally done (in front of the mirror). Once I get it up she always talks about how pretty it is, so she does like to have things in her hair, just not the process of putting them in. Oh except curlers, she LOVES having curlers in her hair (did that the morning of her christmas pics and she didn't want to take them out!)

I can't do them while she is watching tv, because she is always up dancing etc. while watching it lol.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Forgot the other "tender headed" kid issue: Sun burned scalp - now that HURTS!

It was really funny once though. . . My friend/co-worker/Spanish interpreter was from Puerto Rico. She looked at me all worried one morning. . ."Are you okay!?! Your face is all red."

When I replied I'd been out longer than I'd intended, forgotten sunscreen, and gotten a little burn, she commented, "Even your head is red??" - Yep, pale skin, thin/fine hair. . .

Later that day we were visiting an Hispanic family and several young teens came over. At the time, the style was to have an obvious pattern in their partline (usually a zig-zag). I leaned over to her and said, "Good thing I don't have a part like theirs!" ROFL - It took her several minutes to regain her composure and be able to explain to the non English speakers what was so funny.

sirrahn

My 3 yr old DD was pretty much bald until well after she turned 2 and just never got used to having her hair messed with at all. It's actually growing now and is about shoulder length and has loose curls. She fought me like crazy to brush it too though and since it's fine it get's really ratty looking when it's not brushed.

Anyway, I found a brush that said it is Ouchless. I think it's Goody...just bought it at Walmart, and it really does make a difference. Not *totally* Ouchless of course, but she no longer screams like I'm ripping her hair out by the roots when I touch the brush to her head. I think it's just that the bristles are arranged differently or something...it does a good job and I definitely do feel less pulling.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh, what a day for you to post this. With all of us being sick and the craziness of being without power over the weekend Hayley's hair has not been brushed in four days. :eek: Tomorrow she's getting in the tub and her hair is getting SOAKED in conditioner before we even try to comb through it.

She begs me every day not to put her hair in pigtails or a ponytail, "just barrettes, Mama, please!" :rolleyes: I feel so bad for her because I know how she feels. I still have traumatic memories of my mom doing my hair, feeling like she was carelessly raking through it, hurting me on purpose, or at the very least just not trying to be gentle.

Now, as the mom, I think I realize she WAS trying to be careful; sensitive scalps just run in the family.

Oooh, same here! My head has always been so sensitive I just finally cut my hair short and refuse to have long hair ever again (spiral perms i've gotten in the past hurt more than childbirth, i swear...). poor bitsy screams and yells and whimpers, so i guess she has the same problem as me, thank god for spray in detangler...

scatterbunny

I had my hair short from 8th grade to 11th grade then I started growing it out. It was a chin-length bob my senior year, then a year later I cut it short again (like, an inch long all over my head, with the tips bleached). A year later I started growing it out again. I've let it grow to just past my shoulders and then cut it to a chin-length bob over and over again in the last 8ish years. I like the way it LOOKS better when it's long, but I can't stand it, physically. I hate hair in my face, so I always pull it up in a ponytail or bun. But then I get headaches. But I don't want to cut it again (it's the longest it's been in years, 2-3 inches past my shoulders).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC