Complete Air or MyRide, WWYD????

Sage72380

DD#1 turns 3 this month. She's 33lbs, 38 inches, 13 inches torso (sitting height bottom to shoulder), and 21 inches bottom to top of her head. She just went through a crazy growth spurt and is starting to look much more like a child and less like a toddler in build - thinning out and such.

She's currently riding RF in a Boulevard, but one of our Boulevards has the 33lbs RF limit, so we've flipped it (and haven't put her in that car since). I'm not ready to have her ride FF. We'd like to keep her RF until at least 4 years old. I'm due with #2 any day now and she'll start out in a Graco snugride and then move up to the Boulevards (or get new convertibles for her I suppose), so we'd be buying new seats for one of the girls within the year regardless.

I was planning to buy a Complete Air to keep DD#1 RF, but now I'm starting to wonder if we should just be doing a My Ride (I've ruled out the Radian unless someone can really convince me otherwise). We drive Honda Civic Sedans (a 2000 and a 2005 model). We'd like to have the girls riding outboard instead of pressed together. DH is 5ft 10in and we'd like him to be able to sit in any of the front seats.

ADS

AmandaR

My DD has a 13 in torso height, though she is shorter overall than your DD. My daughter had very little growing room in the MyRide when we tried it out at BRU. Her head was definitely less than 2 inches from the top of the shell already (it's hard to measure an unwilling child). The CA has a much taller shell. She had TONS of room in it. Hope this helps you!

Evolily

Well, both seats have their quirks. The my ride has a shell about the same height as the boulevard- it will take some, but not all, kids to 40 lbs RF. The complete air has a much taller shell- it will take all kids to 40 lbs RF. The my ride installs rather reclined, whereas the complete air will likely require a pool noodle to get an acceptable recline. The my ride is much cheaper, though.

Mommy0608

How close is she to outgrowing the Boulevard RF by height? Does she have much room above her head?

The Complete Air (with the headrest all the way up) is much taller than the MyRide, so it will last quite a bit longer by height. I'd try the Complete Air in your vehicle at BRU and see what you think... my 39.5" 3 year old had TONS of room in the Complete Air, but was already close to the top of the MyRide.

For kids where weight is more of an issue than height, the MyRide might be perfect.

Sage72380

I think she has plenty of room left in the Boulevards by height. At least 2 inches I think. I'll check again in the morning. Her weight was definitey the issue. However, since she's just turning 3 and thinning out some, I'm not sure if we'll be more worried about height or weight... I'm only 4ft 10in, so I certainly never expected her to be tall.

We keep her pretty inclinded in the Boulevard. She sleeps in the car pretty often, it's easier for me to buckle her in, and it gives her more leg room. I don't think I object to the incline on the MyRide (though I'm not thrilled with the cup holders or the pattern).

I was going to do the Complete Air for the height (primary reason), the air protect (we love the wings on the Boulevard), and I honestly just like the look of the seat more. DD's absolute favorite color is orange (though that's not a reason to spend an extra $100 on a seat). However, reading all of the threads on the Complete Air here (I've been a religious lurker), I was starting to wonder if it was really worth the extra $100.

We'll just replace the 33lbs Boulevard for now, keep the 35lbs Boulevard RF in the secondary car, watch her weight carefully, and make another decision in a few months. Based on her recent growth spurt, I won't be surprised if she sits at 33lbs for several months, and stays under 35 for 5-6 months. I'm hoping there will be more seat options then (or we'll just love the seat we've been using and buy another of it). Around then we're likely to be moving DD#2 into the Boulevards anyway.

2boys1girl

We actually have both. I bought the MR for my DD who is 3 but tiny. She loves it and still has about 4 inches or so to use it RF. She is 28 lbs.

I really like the CA too. The straps are close but that is how my older Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 was. The Eddie Bauer came with strap covers so I took the strap covers off of the EB and put them on the CA and everything worked fine. It is much taller than the EB but since my LO is a bit older now (16 months) I just reclined him a little less.

I did have some install issues with my CA (I couldn't use latch and have never had a problem with any other seat in my car). It took a bit to get a tight install with the seatbelt but once I got it tight it was good.

The MR was the easiest install I have ever had.

The MR is a beast compared to the CA but if you have the room it's fine.

Mommy2Marcus

Hiya! My son will be 3 in October. I just bought him a MR the other day. I did get him to sit briefly in the CA & he had a TON of room. However he has close to 5 inches in the MR RF left. He has about 3 1/2-4 inches to grow before he is at the 1" rule as well as only being on the 3rd slots for RF. So about another year or more. He also has a 14 inch torso, so your DD would more than likely have about 6 inches left. Here is a picture of my DS in his MR installed in my car!
001-11.jpg

Here is also a couple to show how much leg room he has! I LOVE the MR.
003-11.jpg

004-10.jpg

I hope these help you decide!

Sage72380

Thanks for all of the input. I've been feeling really iffy comparing 2 brand new seats.

We went to BRU today and came home with a CA. We installed both seats on the bench there side by side and put DD in them. She didn't have much space left in the MR at all, but she had TONS left in the CA. Besides that, DD had been saying since I brought up car seats with DH last night "I want an orange one" (though I didn't mention color at all). So, we got DD a Harvest Complete Air. We haven't tried to install it in my car yet. Hopefully that'll go smoothly. There's a seat check in my area next Saturday that I hope I'll make it to (or send DH to). I think DD#2 will be born in the next 24 hours or so, so I doubt we'll get it installed immediately, but I'm so glad we got a car seat for DD#1 before the birth.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC