Seat with a 35lb RF limit - how close do you get to the limit before switching ?

What weight to turn to FF ?

• 34.0 lbs

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • 34.5 lbs

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • 34.9 lbs

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • 35.0 lbs

Votes: 25 54.3%
  • 35.1 lbs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 35.5 lbs

• 35.9 lbs

• Total voters

Lea_Ontario

Our True Fit has a 35lb limit for RF.

Bear is currently 34.0 lbs (clothing and shoes inc.).

He is 32 months old - he'll be 3 in December. I was desperatly hoping to make it to 3yrs before I had to turn him to FF.

So - how at what point would YOU turn YOUR child to FF ?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If she was four, I'd flip at 34.0 so I wouldn't have to worry and stress.

If she was 18 months, I'd take her shoes off and weigh until I got to 34.9.

kandamom

If she was four, I'd flip at 34.0 so I wouldn't have to worry and stress.

If she was 18 months, I'd take her shoes off and weigh until I got to 34.9.

Exactly what she said.

I would still be taking shoes off and weighing my 25-month-old every day, if we wouldn't have purchased a Radian recently. I'd probably turn him when he actually hit 35 lbs (or 33 lbs for our Marathon). DS2 was within a pound or two of the Marathon limit for several months, but never actually hit 33 lbs. I turned him for a couple days the first time he hit 32.5 lbs, but then he went back to 31.5-32.5 lbs for several months. For a child who was closer to three, I'd turn at 34 lbs.

Edited to add the following: I guess I should read the question and not just the poll. I would leave Bear reaf facing for now. It could take him months to gain that last pound. If he were over three, I'd probably turn him. Three is my goal, as well.

Rebecca

K - 7.5, 51.5", 57 lbs, Monterey
A - 25 months, 37.5", 32 lbs, rf in a Radian65

Last edited:

Splash

I'd leave him in it until I happened to notice he went over 35 pounds. I'm not concerned that it's going to catastrophically fail at 35.2 pounds and I am sure you're going to notice once he's actually exceeded to limit by any signigicant margin. It;s got a buffer so you don't have to weigh him hourly. It's relatively understood that most parents are gonna miss it by a pound or two, so I would turn him at 35 and not before.

Karen

I'd leave him in it until I happened to notice he went over 35 pounds. I'm not concerned that it's going to catastrophically fail at 35.2 pounds and I am sure you're going to notice once he's actually exceeded to limit by any signigicant margin. It;s got a buffer so you don't have to weigh him hourly. It's relatively understood that most parents are gonna miss it by a pound or two, so I would turn him at 35 and not before.
:yeahthat:
When DS is 35 pounds, I'll flip him. I weigh occasionally, if I feel like he is heavy or something. I'm not too stressed if he goes slightly over.

Lea_Ontario

I told DH I would not flip him until I saw he was 34.9lbs. Our home scale does show the first decimal place like that, and the kids don't mind getting weighed.

thomamomma76

With our oldest who is now 6, he was about 34 lbs. when I turned him FF. Kids' weight fluctuate so much when they are younger that I just did not want to risk it. He is now We just turned our 4 year old twins FF almost a week ago. The youngest twin, a boy, is 35 lbs on the money, so he was going to have to be turned around regardless. The oldest twin, a girl, is 33 lbs. They both were also pretty close to the maximum height, but I am always more concerned about the weight factor. We decided to go ahead and turn them both FF.

momto2princes

:yeahthat: here too!

southpawboston

personally, i think it's splitting atoms at this point. i'd be more concerned about constant weighing. i'm not a fan of it for psychological reasons, even if kids don't mind it or even like it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC