Why does this have to be so difficult??

agurlsride

I still can't decide whether to get DD1 a Vivo or a Jane Indy Plus. Can someone help with some input?

dd's stats are 8yrs old, 49.75" tall, 52lbs, 16" torso.

ADS

agurlsride

My SIL has one its 3yrs old but she is meticulous about keeping things in good condition. I havent had a chance to play with it because she is in California and would ship it to me.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I'd do the Jane. The Vivo is has a super short seating depth and you have a tall girl with long legs.

solmama

The Jane Indy Plus is a nice seat. The head and body wings adjust and the rigid latch is awesome! We love ours.

scatterbunny

I love both seats, but as an everyday seat, we adore our Indy Plus. :D My dd did not seem bothered by the Vivo's shorter seat depth, possibly/probably because it sits so low on the vehicle seat compared to other boosters so she gets some leg support from the vehicle seat (the IP seems to sit lower than many others, as well; it takes up significantly less vertical space/blocks much less of my rear window than most others). I love how the Vivo positions the lapbelt (very low on the thighs, no riding up onto the abdomen), but the IP isn't shabby, either (and I wouldn't worry for a child your dd's size, anyway). The IP wins out with the rigid LATCH :)love: this feature, wish more seats had it, though it means sacrificing a center seating position in many cases) and adjustable width head and torso wings, plus a nifty recline mechanism. The Vivo is probably a little more cushy, but my dd's never complained in the IP. The shape of the seat is very comfortable. She has zero problems sleeping on long trips. Oh, another plus-the angle of the shoulderbelt guides on the IP make the shoulderbelt sit more parallel to the shoulder (versus seats like the Vivo and Monterey that seem to place the shoulderbelt more perpendicular to the shoulder). I also like that the shoulderbelt can't really fall out of the belt guide when the child unbuckles and flings the belt back. The shape of the guides and the way they are open enough to allow the belt to slide but closed enough to hold it in place is wonderful.

Also, having a tall girl and a vehicle with no rear headrests, this next part sealed the IP deal for us: the IP is taller than the Vivo, and many other boosters. I've tried her in most boosters out there, except the Monterey, new Parkway, and Frontier in booster mode, but knowing how those seats compare to others we have tried, I feel safe in saying that the IP is probably on par with the Monterey's height, or a smidge taller (it's definitely taller than the old Parkway and the Vivo, and lots taller than the TurboBooster). The new Parkway and the Frontier in booster mode are the only ones I know of that offer more growing room than the IP.

agurlsride

Thanks for the great review Jenny, I love the height factor...when my dd is old enough for a backless (when mom is comfortable with it) my younger dd can use it. (8 yr expiration, correct?)
When you adjust the head and torso wings inward do you feel that it give just as much SIP as the Vivo?
I'm not worried about the "cushiness", dd rides in a TB right now and it has virtually no padding and she doesnt complain.

southpawboston

i'd do the jane simply for the rigid LATCH. there is increasing evidence that that helps significantly in side impacts. so, even though the jane's head wings may not be as robust as the vivo's i think the rigid LATCH would contribute a LOT towards SIP.

agurlsride

Really? Thats good to know. Now what about the BG and its lock-offs, do you think that helps with SIP almost as much as the latch?

scatterbunny

I own a BG, too, and no, I don't feel like the lapbelt lockoffs contribute to added SIP in the way rigid LATCH does. The IP's wings may not measure quite as deep as the Vivo, but they do angle very close to the body (also can be angled very wide away from the body, too). I am totally comfortable with the SIP/wing depth of the IP. :thumbsup:

The Jane website used to have a side impact crash test video of the IP, and it was impressive. They claim the rigid LATCH is very beneficial in side impacts, and I can definitely see how that could be true (seatbelts and flexible LATCH straps will stretch and twist in a crash, where rigid LATCH should not).

agurlsride

Oh I understand that the BG's lock-offs wouldn't be as beneficial as rigid latch, I was comparing it to a booster without either..like the old Parkway or Vivo.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC