OH NO

the recline thing on my marathon is broken...... its a 02/09 DOM

I had it in to take pics of some fraying on my latch straps, and as I was getting ready to take the pics Nolan started to climb in the seat, I let him but went to sit it up right so that it wouldn't fall over.

When I did it, it immediately fell back down, so I tried again, and it fell again, tried a few more times and it just wasn't happening, The pics of the latch connectors were forgotten while I dialed britax and told them my info and the problem...

A new marathon is on its way.. I had to really push though cause they were going to send me an 07 dom.. I was like "ummm no" so then she found an 08.. but I asked if it had a 35 lbs rfing limit, and no it had the 33 lb limit, I asked if she could look a little more for a 35 limit with no later than an 08 dom.. any cover will do (I can trade on here) and she found an 09 cowmoo! (I love cowmoo and honestly hated my platinum cover! so I am kind of jazzed about that! )

I am so relieved they are replacing it.. I was really upset. you should have seen my face.. I must install it too tightly, I know that even after it is rock solid I push on it and give it another tug so I guess I should learn to leave well enough alone:whistle:

ADS

mish

I'm sorry it is broken, and I'm glad you are getting it replaced. However, if you think you are the one that broke it, why do you think they should send you a new one? If it is your fault, not theirs, you shouldn't expect to have them replace it.

I'm sorry it is broken, and I'm glad you are getting it replaced. However, if you think you are the one that broke it, why do you think they should send you a new one? If it is your fault, not theirs, you shouldn't expect to have them replace it.
I am not sure if I am the one who broke it.. I am assuming maybe its cause I put it in too tightly... not sure.

I didn't ask them to replace it, I just said that It was broken is there anything I can do about it? (I would have bought a new part if need be kwim)

mish

I really doubt you broke it. It shouldn't be that easy to break if you did! I'm happy to see you getting a new one.

I really doubt you broke it. It shouldn't be that easy to break if you did! I'm happy to see you getting a new one.

I hope not, I didn't really think of the fact that maybe I shouldn't have pushed for the newer date if I could have broken it.. till you said that! lol

It was under warranty though she said so she told me they would send a new seat cause of it.

Splash

You broke it. It's a very common problem. A super common problem. An OMG haven't you guys figured out how to fix this yet problem. It's c-o-m-m-o-n. They've replaced at least 2 of my seats because of it. Although often if you jiggle enough, you can pop it back in. But it's SO common for that to happen.
They've even replaced mine 2 years out of warranty. Actually, with one seat, I noticed it, called within warranty, told them not to send another because he's still RF and it'll just happen again, and they notated that I could get a new seat whenever I turned him. Which is how I got one of my regents.

You can keep your cover, your harness, everything you can pull out of it. You just have to ship back the shell.

Pixels

I thought I read that they break if you tighten them too much?

Britax used to allow you to adjust the install angle by tightening the rear facing tether. It was breaking the recline mechanism, so they no longer allow you to adjust the angle by tightening the tether.

AtTheSouthDam

You know I though I did that once only to find that there was a small toy jammed in the reclining mechanism. It fell in there when I put it upright. Probably not what happened to you but I thought I would throw it out there just in case :)

tracee877

Mine does that too sometimes but I have always been able to get it to go back. But each time it gets stuck it gets harder and harder the next time to get it to go back. I'm sure it's about to break anytime now. At least if it does I know now they will replace it.

oxeye

I've had this happen to me several times as well when they allowed you to adjust the recline with the tether. I got two new seats because of it (one out of warranty).

The Marathon DS is going into in my car had that problem. Rather than get a new seat again I just decided to use it only as a RF'ing seat since I prefer other seats for a FF child. Nothing I did for awhile could get it to lock FF. Strangely enough after it was sitting in my house unused for a few weeks I tried it again and it worked fine. :confused:

You broke it. It's a very common problem. A super common problem. An OMG haven't you guys figured out how to fix this yet problem. It's c-o-m-m-o-n. They've replaced at least 2 of my seats because of it. Although often if you jiggle enough, you can pop it back in. But it's SO common for that to happen.
They've even replaced mine 2 years out of warranty. Actually, with one seat, I noticed it, called within warranty, told them not to send another because he's still RF and it'll just happen again, and they notated that I could get a new seat whenever I turned him. Which is how I got one of my regents.

You can keep your cover, your harness, everything you can pull out of it. You just have to ship back the shell.
Ok so I broke it lol, but at least it's an easy to break thing, so I don't feel so bad lol.. I hope Britax figures out a solution to the problem soon... can I use it rear facing for the time being if I want?

oxeye

Ok so I broke it lol, but at least it's an easy to break thing, so I don't feel so bad lol.. I hope Britax figures out a solution to the problem soon... can I use it rear facing for the time being if I want?

As long as the base locks into the rear-facing position you are fine to use it that way.

I highly doubt they will fix it. It's been five years snce the first one I broke and the base is still the same desgn.

Britax used to allow you to adjust the install angle by tightening the rear facing tether. It was breaking the recline mechanism, so they no longer allow you to adjust the angle by tightening the tether.

I don't tighten it that much when I do tether it and I actually don't tether it that much, so I am surprised.. Well not so much so since its common, but yea I don't tether it tightly rfing.

I use the seat ffing and rear facing (Fiona and Nolan share most of the seats we have) Other wise I would call back and ask them to wait till he is ffing kwim.

Anyways, I am worried about doing it with the replacement.. how can I prevent it next time?

Also do the 09 cow moos have black or tan harness? (I have black right now it will look nice with cow moo so I will keep it, (would anyways) this way I can have a spare that matches.

agurlsride

I would definitely expect them to replace it, the seat should be durable enough NOT to break when trying to recline it (or returning it to an upright position). If its something that is common, it would seem to me that its a defect.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC