What do you do when transporting other people's children?

mom2ari

I used to work full time before I had my DD, and I did a lot of transporting of kids in my vehicle. I never thought twice about it because I was shown how to properly install the car seats I was using and made sure to do so every time - even when rearranging them several times in one day. Now, however, I know a lot more about car seat safety than I used to and the importance of ERF and EH. That being said, I am starting to pick up more hours and may or may not have to transport children in my vehicle again. I feel like I need to be just as strict for other people's children as I am for DD, but how do you deal with ERF if the parents make a stink about it? Do you just say my car, my rules? Does anyone have a pamphlet that talks about the benefits in an easy to understand format?

TIA!

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
My car, my rules -- but I take parents' preference into account and do not insist on the best of best practices if it is likely to cause strife. Would I insist on RFing a 23# 13mo? Absolutely. A 38# 4yo (if I still had my Radians) who usually rides in a backless booster? He'd be harnessed, but I'd be okay with FFing.

Luckily, most of the kids I transport these days are 6 and up. They are boostered in my car (HBB or backless, depending).

ZephyrBlue

Kids under 2 that fit in my convertibles RF stay RF, regardless of how they ride in their parent's car. Over 2, I'm okay w/FF someone else's kid who normally rides FF as long as they meet the minimum weight requirement for FF.

Under 5, they're in a harnessed seat. Period. I haven't come across a 4yo yet who won't fit in our arsenal of seats.

5 and up can go in a HBB, if I'm convinced that the kid is at least 40lbs, and can sit the way I tell them.

The preschool director where my kids have all gone tried to tell me I really needed to use the seats that other parents provided (backless boosters for 3yos, harnessed Chase seats where the kid's shoulders were inches above the top slots, expired OHS seats, etc) and I told her that if I was going to assume legal responsibility by having those kids riding in my vehicle, they were going to ride in appropriate seats, or I would not drive them.

Friends know that I'm a bit, um, over zealous, about seats ;) and they accept that I'm just going to install one of our spares and put their kid in our seat if I'm driving. No biggie.

rochelle

It really also depends on whether you are providing the car seats or using the ones the parents provide for their children in your car.

While its easy to say "my car my rules", if a kid's parent only have a FF-only car seat for her 15mth old, would you be willing to pay for a ERF seat for her?

Since I do not have any spare car seats, if I need to transport other people's children for whatever reason, it would be on whatever car seats they are already using.

It may not be best practise in some cases but it would be what is safe

ETA: I do agree with ZephyrBlue on "my car my rules" since she is providing the "best practise" car seats.

skipspin

I will drive them in their seat *if* it's rightfor their age and size, not expired, etc. If I have my seats available or know ahead of time I usually just put one of my seats in to make it "easier." *wink* If the parents had a problem with their kid being safer in my car then theirs then I would have to decide if I'm okay with what they want, or not take said kiddo. I'm fine Ffing a 2 yr old that's close to 30#s, or boostering a 5 yr old that will sit right in my car.

I've never had a problem. Now it's getting to where DD's friends aren't all in boosters with their parents, but they are with me. I have the excuse of, "Well, I don't fit in the seatbelts in the back of my Jeep, so certainly your 6 year old won't!" I've RFed kids who have been FFing with their parents and never got a complaint from either the child or the parent. I've harnessed kids that were in boosters (necessary for my 3-across) with no complaints, but sometimes questions.

I've also put one of my kids in the front seat harnessed once or twice when I have an extra passenger. I would *never* do that with someone else's child unless I had asked in advance OR I had seem them in the front with their parents.
I can't wait to have a mini-van!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't right now (all seats full!) But when we get a bigger vehicle I'm sure we will. I will usually use my own seats, because I know they're safe and for convenience (of them more than me-- I know many parents have one seat per child, no spare) but if it's a seat I know is okay and they have a spare I might use it (but it will probably be easier not to), and use best practice in my car (although I'm not going to quibble over a small 4 year old being forward-facing or anything, kids at least until the third birthday will be rear-facing unless they don't fit-- and I have a 40 lb. Radian!-- and kids until 6 will be harnessed, plenty of HWH to go around.) I feel as a tech I would have more of a legal burden to prove what I did was best practice in a crash, because knowledge is worth a lot in the eyes of the law (not to mention my moral burden.) I also know that it is MY responsibility to properly restrain children in my car when their parents are not present (in my state, some are different.)

AtTheSouthDam

Depends on the kids, ages and parents. Under 2, My rules, they RF. Ages 2 to 5 I harness them, again My rules, even if they are in a booster in their parents car. Over 5 to 8 they ride in a booster. Those are my minimums. If the parents are okay with it I will RF to 35 lbs (I won't RF a child over 35# that is not my own unless SKJP is willing to send me new stickers) and harness until 40#/6years (many of DD1's friends are still under 40#). I tend to provide the harnessed car seats simply because it is easier to install them ahead of time then doing it in a hurry in a parking lot or someone's driveway. Boosters are much easier to transfer so if they are using that and over 5y I just have the parent provide it.

Madeline410

My car, my rules. I don't transport a lot of kids, but when I do, I do the best I can.. RF til at LEAST 2, Harness til at LEAST 5 & 40lbs.

oxeye

When I've done this, I just installed my own spare seats ahead of time for the other person's kid. The mom never said anything when she arrived to a RF'ing seat for her 15 month old (FF in her car) and a harness for her 28lb, normally boostered 4 year old.

If the mom ever threw a fit about it I would not drive her kids. I am responsible for them as the driver in my car, so my rules go IMO.

Mae

Does anyone have a pamphlet that talks about the benefits in an easy to understand format?
I do. If you'd like, you can PM me your email address and I'll send it to you!

I agree with a lot of the posts -- my car, my rules.
Newborn to 2 = RF
2 to 5 = FF, harnessed
ect.

None of the parents of my kids ERF.

Now on the other hand, one of my "kids" just turned 2 today, has been FF in mom's car since her first birthday, but will still keep RF in my car. Why? Because she's not even 25 pounds. She will stay RF with me until I decide to change that.

I asked a similar question like this a while ago and I got some feedback that I really like...

Knowing what I know now, if a parent ordered me to FF the child at 1 and 20, or 2 and 25, first I'd explain my position. How it's safer, my first job as a child care provider is to keep the child safe, and the legal ramifications if something were to happen. After that, if Mom couldn't at least tolerate the child RFing in my car, then I'd be looking for a new job and Mom would be looking for a new babysitter.

I have only a few requirements from a babysitting MomBoss/DadBoss. Allow me to do my job. Back me up (discipline). Pay me fairly and on time (or at least darn close). That's basically it. The way I see it, job number one is to keep the kids safe. Number two is to meet other needs (feeding, diapering, running the kids to swim class, playing with them, etc).

Mommypooh

I didn't read all the replies, I usually put anyone under 2 RF and I don't worry too much after that. I put anyone up to about 5 or 6 in a harness if I have one. over that they go in a booster until they don't need it in my van.

I have had the "My car, My rules" back fire on me. I said it once and now I can't have that family transport my child because they pull it back on me and put my oldest either in a lap shoulder belt with no seat out board or put her in the middle lap belt only with a backless booster, cause that is what they do with their kids.

ZephyrBlue

I have had the "My car, My rules" back fire on me. I said it once and now I can't have that family transport my child because they pull it back on me and put my oldest either in a lap shoulder belt with no seat out board or put her in the middle lap belt only with a backless booster, cause that is what they do with their kids.

For me, that wouldn't be a backfire issue- I'd be really glad to know how they were improperly restraining my child so that I could prevent my kid(s) from riding with them. Wow, I would be mad about a lap belt and booster :thumbsdown:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC