Question pondering our car-seats

gour0

We have a ton of seats. Two wizards, one marathon, a regent, a radian 65, a nautilus and a safeseat. Can only use 5 of them. Have 3 kids.
6 yo, small (don;t have his current stats available)
4 yo, 41" (23" torso, 15" shoulder) 40 lbs
19 mo, 32" (20" torso, 13" shoulder) 22 lbs

I guess it's time to retire the safeseat because it says 30 lbs 32".
The 4 yo is using the regent. And the 6 yo is using the marathon. (I know, crazy right?) I bought him the radian, the regent and the nautilus and he doesn't like any of them. I'm kind of over the wizards, even though they each are good for another year. So, I'm wondering how I should shuffle all the seats around to best use. Am also open to buying another, better option if one is available.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
As long as there is an inch over your 19 month old's head, them they are still fine in that seat. They are under the weight. If you want to move them, use one of the wizards. I :love: wizards!

gour0

Ok, here's what I get measuring the oldest.
46" tall (24" torso, 16" shoulder)
48 lbs (our scale is not wildly accurate, though)

Is that still ok in the marathon? Not latch. Seatbelt installed and tethered. IF he is 48 lbs, that means he cannot sit in the regent unless I seatbelt install it, correct? What about the radian and the nautilus, is there anything different to the install at 48 lbs?

Pixels

What vehicle are they in? There's a weight limit on LATCH. Actually two limits, one is set by the carseat manufacturer, the other is set by the vehicle. You have to use whichever one is lower.

Where is your 6yo's shoulder in relation to the top slot? The harness must be at or above the shoulder for forward facing, so if his shoulder is over the top slot, the seat is outgrown. At 6yo, he may be ready for a booster. The biggest factor is whether or not he can stay properly seated 100% of the time in the booster.

gour0

The top slot is 16 1/2 " so it is 1/2 inch above his shoulders. We are in a 2004 Honda Odyssey 98% of the time. Two carseats go in the the 2002 ford focus.

Pixels

Honda has a 40 pound limit on their LATCH. Any child who is over 40 pounds must have their seat installed with the seatbelt in a Honda.

I believe the limit is higher in the Ford, but I don't recall and don't have my LATCH manual available. I don't want to give you wrong information so I just won't say anything, and wait for someone else to tell you.

gour0

Then, I need to reinstall the regent for my 4 yo. I just switched it from long path to short path, but I will need to use the belt instead of latch.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Ford models have a 48 lb. limit (child's weight) for lower LATCH anchor installations. It's also strongly recommended to continue to use the top tether with the seatbelt installation of any FF harnessed seat to reduce head excursion. And with the Regent, top tethering is actually required at 50 lbs. and above for any Regent installation, and it's also required for SBP lap-shoulder seatbelt installation at 40 lbs. and up for post advisory Regents. Post advisory Regents were manufactured approx. late June 2007 and later. I bet you knew that, but just in case, it bears mentioning, and we do have many lurkers reading posts here. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC