Outgrowing 40 pd Radian, ht or wt?

Pixels

Does anybody have a child who is 40 pounds or less, who has outgrown the Radian by height?

ADS

emandbri

I think that would be very rare but could happen. I did a poll and a shockenly high number of kids would fit in the radain rear-facing by height including my third who will be 6 in two weeks and is 48 inches tall which put him in the 97% for height.

Melodiya99

I think that would be very rare but could happen. I did a poll and a shockenly high number of kids would fit in the radain rear-facing by height including my third who will be 6 in two weeks and is 48 inches tall which put him in the 97% for height.

Could you post a link to the poll? I've been wondering this too:)

oxeye

DD1 just barely fits RF and she is less than 40 pounds and 43.5" (long torso and big head though).

DahliaRW

My oldest has a loooong torso. He has 1/2" of shell above his head rfing in the radian (but he's 40-41lbs, so too heavy). For him it would be close either way (height or weight), but most kids would easily hit 40lbs before the height limit.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My five year old daughter just had a growth spurt and she's a smidge above the Radian's top slots when reclined FF. She's still within the 1 inch rule RF! And she's a smidge under 40 lbs. It's reeeeally tall. Since the CA is also tall I think these 2 seats will for sure get almost all kids to 40 lbs.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
Not quite yet, but I think I will soon. DS1 has about 1 inch of growing room before he hits the 1 inch of shell rule. He's about 36lbs right now and if his past growth patterns continue, he always gains a few inches before he catches up with his weight.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I wanted to show a pic from my other thread here as well.

This is my 39 lb. 14.5 ounce daughter (that's with clothes and shoes), aged 5 and 4 months, who is super skinny for her height, and has a 17 inch torso in the Radian RF. She has about 1 3/4-2 inches over her head when she holds it straight and lays back, which means she will definitely not outgrow by height before weight.

2nner.jpg

She is at the very bottom of the chart in weight for height. You can see her ribs, she's so skinny. A child would have to be skeletal to outgrow RF by height before hitting 40 lbs. That, or have a really really big head, maybe, AND be as skinny as my daughter.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My dd just hit 40lbs a few months ago. I have a picture of her that is about 15 or 16mos old from when she was 33lbs and she has about 2" above her head with the seat installed ff'ing. Given that kids tend to have less room above their head once a seat is reclined, I'd place bets that she would have outgrown the seat rf'ing before hitting 40lbs. I imagine that my ds would be the same way given that he's only 30lbs soaking wet and was using the seat with the 2nd from top harness straps rf'ing when we were visiting a friend in May.

So I think it's possible, but a kid has to be at opposite ends of the height and weight charts and have a long head and neck. My kids have both of those. :p

(her head is slumped a little here because she was trying to sleep, but kept waking up when her head fell forward... it's the best of the bunch to see how she sat though.)
eprnn8.jpg

And this is ds ff'ing on the plane : http://i32.tinypic.com/2pr5z7l.jpg He dropped a full 1/2 to 3/4" between the switch from rf'ing to ff'ing.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
She has about 1 3/4-2 inches over her head when she holds it straight and lays back, which means she will definitely not outgrow by height before weight.

I'm a little confused because it looks to me as though she has about 4" over her head. Is she really slouching down 2.5" worth? :confused:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I'm a little confused because it looks to me as though she has about 4" over her head. Is she really slouching down 2.5" worth? :confused:

Perhaps the measurements are taken with a line from the top of the shell, parallel to the ground? Measuring like that, especially when rear-facing, means your child prematurely hits that height limit a lot sooner than they should. The correct way to measure is from the top of the plastic, perpendicular to the shell behind the child. Britax and others have diagrams of this in their manuals.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Perhaps the measurements are taken with a line from the top of the shell, parallel to the ground? Measuring like that, especially when rear-facing, means your child prematurely hits that height limit a lot sooner than they should. The correct way to measure is from the top of the plastic, perpendicular to the shell behind the child. Britax and others have diagrams of this in their manuals.

That might be case because I am puzzled over the picture of KQ's dd too. I know when I briefly had a RN, I took pics of both my kids at 8 and 6 yrs old in it just for fun to gauge how high the top slots and seatback were. Their shoulder just barely over or at level with the top slots, yet their heads were way over the top (say around 3" over)

Here is a thread where we discussed the various ways top slots and shoulders were measured http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=744353

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

Actually, 2 things. The angle it's taken at is from above, and she's tilting her head to the side as well as forward.

When she holds her head straight (which I could NOT get her to do last night) and lays back in the seat, it's clear that there's a lot less left in the seat than it looks like there, and a lot less than her sister has.

I do know how to measure correctly. ;)

Oh, and she has less room than Trudy's daughter in that pic when FF. But once it's put in RF, she magically gains room!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Here was DD in her Radian at 26 months:

RF'ing on the 2nd from top slots
mali.jpg

This is how much shell she had above her head
halloween029.jpg

I have a tall, skinny, long-torsoed kid and I think there is no way she's hitting 40 pounds in the Radian.

LEAW

Mine has outgrown it by a smidge.

Here she's FF in her RN in dad's car, she's not buckled so ignore the super incorrect harness.
photo_2.sized.jpg

Here she is RF in little brothers RN in my car, it's installed pretty upright as he's 2.5. She still fits on the same slots that he does (he's right at them).
photo_4.sized.jpg

She looks like she has more than 1" here, but honestly it's so close. If I go to the top of the shell and she sits tall, she's too tall. Otherwise I'd go get her a newer RN and RF her again. :)
photo.sized.jpg

She's 38.25 with wooden clogs on (she wouldn't get on the scale any other way for me) and 44" tall last week barefoot. She won't sit long enough to let me measure her torso.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
KQ, it seems as though she should have another slot to go? I Photoshopped this together and the perspective was adjusted to match as perfectly as possible. There's still a smidge margin of error, but nothing that would make that big of a difference.

radian.jpg

I agree--in your picture (and in the one I posted), you can clearly see the top slot is about 2" under that seam in the fabric, which is up near my DD's ears, and would be about the same place on KQ's DD.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC