Woman with baby on her lap!

Michi

So we were driving down the highway yesterday and I looked over into the van next to us. The woman in the front passenger seat was holding a baby on her lap!!!
I made a face at her ( kind-of like this :eek: ) and she reclined her seat so that she and the baby were out of my view.
I WISH I would have had my cell phone with - I would have called the cops! GRRR!:mad:

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
That's so sad. We had a mom on my birth board who just did that (in the backseat) b/c her baby hated his carseat so much. :eek: They needed to get to the DR. I told her next time to call an ambulance b/c there's nothing worth risking your baby's life over like that.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
AHHH! Don't you hate seeing things like that?! It seems like I'm always seeing kids jumping around in vans on the highway and babies not in car seats. I used to babysit for a family and I went on vacation with just the mom & the 3 kids. It was an 8 hr trip and I drove the entire way so that the mom could sit in back with the kids. The 1 yr old started out in a car seat, but it wasn't long before she took him out and held him (her excuse was to nurse him, but I KNOW she wasn't nursing him for the entire 7 hours that he was on her lap)! The 6 yr old sat in the front seat next to me, and the 3 1/2 yr old was in just a seat belt in the back. This was about 6 yrs ago, but even I knew it was wrong and I was just the babysitter. And I didn't feel like I could speak up because I was just the hired help after all, but it still bothers me to this day!

mominabigtruck

I know what you mean, a lady was posting on the parents board and said that she was upset about her dh taking the car with the carseat in it so she was left at home with two kids and no seats. Everyone was talking about how she should be upset with dh and I told her that if she has kids in seats then she should always have seats available and she needed to get her tush over to walmart and buy another set of seats. I think its a safety hazard because there's all sorts of emergencies where you would have to leave but not necessarily need an ambulance.

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

When I was a teenager I babysat for a family that had three daughters. The mother would actually drive with her infant daughter on her lap and breast feed her. :eek: Can you believe it?!? Luckily those three girls are now grown up. I hope that when they have children of their own that they don't follow in their mothers footsteps for car seat safety, or lack of it!

tjham

Yeah, many years ago, a woman was breastfeeding her baby while driving and killed a little girl in a crosswalk! Are these idiots TRYING to give breastfeeding a bad name?

Michi

This woman wasn't nursing - She was just holding the baby forward ( so he could see out of the windshield,) and she KNEW she was in the wrong - otherwise why would she have tried to 'hide'.....grrrrr!
He looked to be around 8-10 mos old. Poor kid. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC