My hands are still a little shaky

2BunniesMommy

I took DD1 to her dance class today and a girl who had not been there since May was back. I noticed her little sister looks like she is just over a year old now. I let curiosity get the better of me and went and peeked in their van to see if she was still rear facing. (I had noticed their car seats months ago because it was one of the few times I had seen a Britax here and I noticed she even had it rfing tethered.)

Well, it was forward facing.

I sat there the rest of class nervous and debating whether or not I would say anything. When they were just about done, I decided it was now or never well, or next week...

So, I scooted over next to her and said I am going to be a bit nosey. I noticed you little girls looks like she is about 1 now and she said yes. Then I went on to say "did you know she is 400-500% safer riding rearfacing in the car? She said Yes, I know I really should turn her back around, her pedi just told me at her last appt that the law hasn't changed yet but that it has been shown that they should stay rearfacing. I rec. that she look at Joel's site and told her that I wouldn't say anymore about it. Oh and then I did ask what pedi so I would know who to kiss next time I work with them. J/K I won't kiss her, but I will be thanking her for spreading the word!

So, of course next week, I will be checking to see if she turned her, but I will keep my promise and not say another word, she knows so it is up to her.

ADS

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
:thumbsup: You did great! What matters is that you give it your best shot. Nicely and informatively, like you did. What happens after that is out of your hands.

Mommy0608

Nice job! :) You did exactly the right thing... mentioning it without going overboard. Hopefully you put the bug in the mom's ear and she'll go do some more research.

zactayaus

I have a friend with a small 1yo. She had him FF about a month before his b-day (he was only 19lbs) and I talked to her about turning him around. She didn't seem too receptive at the time. I then slipped some ERF info in with his b-day present and when she saw it she seemed more receptive and asked me lots of questions about it. Well I just saw her car for the first time in like a month and unfortunetly he is still FF.:( I did what I could and now I guess I'll leave it alone.

I hope you have better luck.

dkdean

Good for you!!!!

I told a parent in the parking lot at pre-school that his 4 y/o should not be in the FRONT SEAT of the car (and no booster). He seemed very surprised by the information and I shared that it's much safer in the backseat and Ohio law states he needs to be in a booster (or in a harnessed seat). I was shocked that someone would have no idea about that!!!! I e-mailed the director of pre-school b/c I was so worked up about it--and she sent out the information I'd placed in the email to the parent group. Not sure if anyone made changes with the information, but I at least felt better that I'd said something and tried to spread the word. :eek:I am still flabbergasted that that boy was in the front seat (with a lap belt, shoulder belt tucked behind him).

I am with you though....I was shaking afterward--I think due to being bold and the shock over seeing a child that age in that seat!

AnnieW625

2BunniesMommy, where in CA do you live? I live in Long Beach and know a number of crunchy/progressive moms who still turn their kids around at 12 mos. I know one mom who has her son ERF her 20 mos. old because he has hydrocephylus, but that's it. I did turn my daughter FFing at 12 mos so I am guilty, but in the last year I have been reading more stuff and plan to ERF my future children. Unfortunately I have a 33lb Marathon and DD's been hovering around 31-33lbs for the last year so once I found out how much safer ERF really is she was over the limit for it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC