Snugride vs Safeseat

smurf

Can anyone tell me the size difference (width), if any, btw the Graco Snugride and Safeseat? I'm having second thoughts about using my old Snugride (DOM 2003, still usable but the basic model with no front adjust, 20 lbs and 26" limit, no EPS, basically barebones).

Problem is I know the Snugride fits in a 3-across situation in DH's car, but barely. An extra half inch in width would be too much. I'd prefer the Safeseat but I'm leaning toward a newer model Snugride which seems a lot spiffier (safety-wise) than the one I own, and would also last longer (those 2 extra pounds make a difference, I think?)

Opinions? In Canada there are basically 3 choices of infant seats: Graco, Peg Perego and Evenflo (which for some reason I don't like, I'm not sure why).

ADS

mominabigtruck

According to graco a snugride is 17.5 inches across and a safeseat is 18.3 inches across. I would just like to say that I just bought a safeseat for my 1yo and I love it. He fits in it just fine and he outgrew his snugride months ago by height. I do like some of the newer snugrides though, they have some really pretty fabrics and pretty boots that come with them. I have to say that I really don't like the fabric on my safeseat, but I got a good deal on it so that's why I bought it. Of course, I don't know if I could justify spending $100+ on a seat that I would only use for less then a year. And if I was getting a new snugride I would want one of the fancy ones.

SPJ&E

If you know the Snugride fits already, that's probably your safest choice. If you can go to a store and try them out (BabiesRUs will let you take it to your car to make sure it fits before you buy it), that would be great!

I had a 2003 Snugride with my first son and it fit exactly the same as the 2006 (or it might be late 2005) Snugride my little one rides in. I have a Cavalier, so space is a real issue for me. The Snugride and Marathon next to each other (both rear-facing) makes for a tight fit, but they puzzle together just perfectly! If either seat were any bit wider (and I mean even centimeters), it wouldn't work...so I understand what you mean about it barely fitting!

I really like the newer Snugrides! I think they're really nice seats, very easy to install and use. I have no complaints! My 8-month old is 17-18 lbs. (different scales give different weights) and about 27 in. and still fits great! It fit him well as a newborn too. It barely got tight enough on his tiny little body (he was 6 lbs. 3 oz. when he came home, but seemed so much smaller), but it did fit him snugly with the harness basically as tight as it would go!

smurf

So if I understand correctly my 2003 Snugride and the newer ones have the same shell, only the new ones are rated to 22lbs and 29". I wonder why if the seat is exactly the same size.

I am seriously considering getting a new one. I think the Safeseat will be too wide, almost an extra inch. I'll see if I can try it in person.

Thanks for the info!

Dillipop

I think the 26 inch snugrides are shorter in the shell than the 29 inch ones. However, the width seem to be the same on both models. I really think you will get more time out of the newer snugrides than the older ones.

SPJ&E

So if I understand correctly my 2003 Snugride and the newer ones have the same shell, only the new ones are rated to 22lbs and 29". I wonder why if the seat is exactly the same size.

I am seriously considering getting a new one. I think the Safeseat will be too wide, almost an extra inch. I'll see if I can try it in person.

Thanks for the info!

The width is the same, but the shell on the newer ones is longer, giving baby 3 extra inches of growing room. And you're welcome!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC