Yet another Mom needing booster selection help!

Melissa Horgan

Hello Moms!

This is my first post, so bear with me!
I love this website, and have been on it researching for the past couple of weeks! While I am much more educated at this point, I think that I am more confused than ever! Here's my situation...
DD#1 will be 5 years old in December. Measurements are: 16.25" torso, 45.5" height, 45 lb weight, 24.5" bum to top of head (quite tall!) She is currently riding in a MA and a Safeguard Go. I also have 15 month old DD#2 that rides in her sister's old Roundabout. I need seats for a couple of cars, so I am looking to use the MA for DD#2 and buy a new seat for DD#1. As she is not yet even 5 years-old, I was looking for a harnessed seat. However, I want to buy something with some longevity. The Regent is huge, and I don't know how cool DH would be with that! DD#1 is usually calm in the car, and would probably be fine in a BPB, but I am unsure about that move. Please help! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! (Oh, I drive a 2006 Pilot, and I also carpool, carrying another 4 year old girl)

TIA!
Mel

ADS

Maedze

At 4.5 I would recommend keeping her in a harness a while longer. Very few four year olds have the maturity to go from harness to booster and sit properly 100% of the time.

The Graco Nautilus and the Britax Frontier would both suit your purposes nicely.

What's the date of manufacture on the Marathon? Is your 15 month old forward or rear facing?

Melissa Horgan

Maedze- thank you for responding!

My 15-month-old is rear-facing in the Marathon, and will continue to be as long as possible! As for the date of manufacture... I am not sure. I believe that I purchased the seat in spring of 2006, and seem to recall that it was to have a 6 year expiration date. I will have to check.
So, you think that either the Frontier or Nautilus would be the best choice? I was unsure. There seem to be many lovers of the Radians, Recaros, and the Regent. We also love the Safeguard Go, but it just doesn't seem to have enough to it to offer proper protection (especially SIP). What are your thoughts on them?

hboo22

My DD is a month younger than yours and she is in a Nautilus (see my siggy). She does occasionally ride in a booster in my mom or dh's vehicle for short trips only. We still have to remind her to sit up right and not lean forward (my mom locks the seatbelt, which helps). I would keep her harnessed for awhile longer, and the Nautilus is only $140-$180 depending on what pattern and if you can find a sale!!

Maedze

Maedze- thank you for responding!

My 15-month-old is rear-facing in the Marathon, and will continue to be as long as possible! As for the date of manufacture... I am not sure. I believe that I purchased the seat in spring of 2006, and seem to recall that it was to have a 6 year expiration date. I will have to check.
So, you think that either the Frontier or Nautilus would be the best choice? I was unsure. There seem to be many lovers of the Radians, Recaros, and the Regent. We also love the Safeguard Go, but it just doesn't seem to have enough to it to offer proper protection (especially SIP). What are your thoughts on them?

I'm really glad to hear your dd is rearfacing and will be for a long time yet. You're doing great :thumbsup:

The Radian and Recaro seats are convertibles. The Radians are great when you're trying to get three across, but I wouldn't buy it for a forward facing seat only, especially when you can spend less and get a seat that lasts a lot longer.

Recaros are also convertibles, and it just doesn't make sense to spend money on a convertible when you only need it for forward facing. It's also rather narrow toward the top which can be uncomfortable for older children.

The Regent is certainly a possibility. It will keep your child harnessed longer than any other seat, however, for most kids, it's overkill. Most kids can sit safely in a booster by six years or so, and buying a seat that will keep them harnessed many years beyond that isn't really adding significantly to their safety, which is why I recommended two combination seats. Both the Frontier and the Nautilus will keep your daughter harnessed for another few years, and then convert to boosters.

Citrine

I had an 06 pilot and I could get RF wizard passenger using LATCH, GN middle with seat belt and tether, and GN driver seatbelt and tether install. I did try in the babies r us parking lot to install a frontier, but had no luck. I had the pressure of the sales person right there so I did not have time to try hard enough to install it either. The GN installs like a dream in any position in the Pilot. If you install the GN in the 3rd row of the Pilot, I found I had to recline the GN and I think I also left the 3rd row more upright. I have 2 GN, one for my 5yr old 40lb daughter (turned 5 in April), not sure on torso. She is on the 2ed to last slot. I am thinking about 1.5yr left in it depending on growth spirts. The other is for the a child I watch 2x a week and will be picking him up at school. he is 5yr 40lbs (Turned 5 in May). No clue on his torso. He just moved to the 2ed to last slot. I do have a picture of 3across in my Pilot with the seats I told you. I also have a Regent. Only a regent and wizard can fit in the middle row, because the regent is HUGE. still love it though and cant find my self to give it up.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC