need help with this decision

T

tlin

I have a four year old daughter, who I'm guessing weighs about 35 lb?? and is average height but don't have that number handy (she's sleeping :)).

I have a two year old son who is almost 36" and weights 29 lb. Right now they are both forward facing in Britax Boulevards. I am now considering moving my son back around after reading the new guidelines.

So, we just bought a new odyssey and I'm looking to buy some new seats for when other kids ride in my car and for my own kids to move into once they reach 65lb. I would like to be able to carpool friends of both kids (similar size and age), so I want seats that I can quickly adjust for diff heights.

I am also hoping to get something that I can quickly install in someone else's car for field trips. I have been leaning towards the safe go something or another that has a soft back and requires a tether. My question about this seat is, am I going to be able to install it in most vehicles that my friends have? There is a trend on these field trips to just throw everyone into a lap belt booster so since I'm going to be insisting on a five point I'd like it to be smaller and quicker/easier for other folks to install.

Finally I should mention that my husband has an extremely large torso and both kids are headed in that direction-especially my son. And finally, finally, I intend to keep my kids in five point until they graduate from high school so that is also a consideration :)

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's the Safeguard Go you're thinking of. For me it's always taken a bunch of time to install it in cars. It's just never worked out perfectly like they say.

I'd probably look at the Graco Nautilus. It installs easily in most cars, and has an 18.5" top slot height and 65 pound harness weight limit, so it'll last a lot of kids much more time than a Boulevard (which has about 16.5" top slots). It's doubtful your kids will make it to 65 pounds in the Boulevards, as most kids outgrow them by torso height rather than weight (my daughter would have outgrown the Boulevard around 40 pounds, for instance). The Nautilus then turns into a high back and then a no back booster.

For your older child I'd also look at the Ride Safer Travel Vest. It's a wearable five point harness. And as it doesn't have an expiration date it'll still be available when your two year old is big enough.

For your two year old I'd just leave everything alone and use the Boulevard for now. Or grab something lightweight and narrow like the Scenera so he can rear face in it.

Boosters can't be used with lap belts only, they need to go in shoulder and lap belt positions. You'd need to install your harnessed seat in the lap belt. That's the only way it's safe. It's less safe to use a booster with a lap belt only than just using the lap belt without a booster.

HTH! I definitely agree with rear facing your two year old and harnessing forever and a day. :)

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Even though it's more expensive If I'm going to look at the Graco as you suggested should I just spend the extra money and get a five point that will go to 80lb-or are all of those cumbersome and difficult to install?

Thanks for you help

Jennifer mom to my 7

With your children being light weight, I wouldn't worry about an 80 pound limit. 65 will be fine for most kids. You will also need to double check your laws, as in New York state, you cannot use a vest for a child under 40 pounds, they need to be in an actual car seat (I have a 3 year old that is over 40 and has outgrown a bigger britax seat, so I have looked into this). How many seats are you actually looking for, and what types of children will be in them? Same age, older, younger, taller, heavier? That will help in some other suggestions the ladies here can make.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC