Booster seat in classic car with lap belts only

randym44

I have an 8 yr old child who weighs 57 pounds and is 4ft, 2 inches tall. We like to go for drives in our late 1960s convertible with a full backseat. Obviously there are no tether options in this car as it is only lap belts all around. What are the safest options for car/booster seats? Thanks.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
At that size, I don't know if your child will fit in any higher-weight harnessing seats. If he fits in the Frontier it might be a good option if you can get it installed tightly; it does not require a tether until 65 lbs. The Safeguard Child Seat also does not require a tether and harnesses to 65 lbs. and the harness is a smidge higher, but it isn't as roomy for bigger kids.

If you can find a suitable spot to fit a tether anchor, that opens your options up a lot, since there are two vests you can use but both require a tether in this situation.

If you have a lap/shoulder belt in the front, a booster seat can go there (move the seat back if you can.) If you have a lap belt only there, you can use a harness or vest there and tether temporarily to the seatbelt behind it (again, with the seat moved back if possible.)

The vest and harness I'm talking about are the Ride Safer Travel Vest and the EZ-On 86-Y Harness. Either one can be used with a lap belt and tether (either retrofitting a tether if you can find a spot, or using the front seat and tethering to the seatbelt in back if that is the only way to tether.)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Depending on proportions, the child may fit a Nautilus or Frontier, but probably not for long.

IMO, the least expensive option would be to get shoulder belts retrofitted -- to be perfectly honest, I'd feel better about using new seatbelts all around than 40yo seatbelts. I'm 40yo myself and I'm not really as good as new anymore.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Depending on proportions, the child may fit a Nautilus or Frontier, but probably not for long.

IMO, the least expensive option would be to get shoulder belts retrofitted -- to be perfectly honest, I'd feel better about using new seatbelts all around than 40yo seatbelts. I'm 40yo myself and I'm not really as good as new.

A very good point. If the belts are original I wouldn't trust my life to them. I don't even like using 15 year old belts. :)

randym44

Many thanks for those options. I will look into them. Along the same lines, I'm not sure what the recommendations are for an 11 year old who's 95 pounds and 4 ft, 9 inches. Is the lap belt only suitable in this case.

Evolily

Well, if you can retrofit 3 point lap/shoulder belts, then the 11 year old could use them too, right?

Really the only good thing lapbelts are for is installing car seats. They aren't a safe option- safer than nothing in a pinch, though.

Lea_Ontario

Many thanks for those options. I will look into them. Along the same lines, I'm not sure what the recommendations are for an 11 year old who's 95 pounds and 4 ft, 9 inches. Is the lap belt only suitable in this case.

Honestly, a lap-only belt is not a particularly safe option for anyone, regardless of their age or height / weight. Great for installing a child restraint, and good at keeping a person from becoming a projectile in a collision, but for true safety - you really need a lap/shoulder belt.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
After looking at the 86Y harness, my guess is that would be the recommendation for my older child, as well?

If you can find an appropriate spot to retrofit tether anchors, yes, this is an appropriate option for your older child (and also any small adult passengers who are under the weight limit.) As others have noted, shoulder belt retrofits may be easier and a lap belt only isn't really safe for anyone. Better than nothing, but dangerous in and of themselves.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC