Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Advocate

1999 Volkswagon sedan

It was, uh, red. Sorry, I'm drawing a blank on the model, we did quite a few seats yesterday.

Can someone tell me what I saw? It was the middle seatbelt to the VW. There was a piece hanging down the vehicle seat back the way middle belts often do, to plug into the vehicle seat bight if you need to use them. But instead of having some sort of device for plugging in, the belt ended with a loop of webbing sewn around a solid metal ring. It was oblong, just a little wider than the length of the webbing itself, and quite short...perhaps less than an inch from top to bottom. Very strong, thick metal.

The guy that I was working with and I practically took the seat apart trying to figure it out. No luck. We advised the parent to see a dealer about having the belt fixed. She said she was the original owner of the car.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: 1999 Volkswagon sedan

You shoulda (asked permission first) taken a pic with your cell phone.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

CPS Advocate

I know! I was smacking myself after for not thinking of it.

CPS Advocate

Here, I drew a horrible picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
    volkswagononweed.bmp
    you're the one on weed, 3B. you can't even remember the model? your job involves CARS.

where was the other end of the webbing attached? was it attached to a retractor?
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

CPS Advocate

Yes, it was a switchable retractor in the vehicle seatback itself.

I think in the last week I've done over 80 seat checks. So thwwwppppt to you!

Excuses, excuses.

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
    thwwwppppt
    you really *are* on weed

from what it sounds like based on your description so far, i'd say it's the lower seatbelt anchor, which someone unfastened from the car's frame. was there a bolt hole in it? and somehow the latch plate got taken off. yay? nay?
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

CPS Advocate

No bolt hole. Definitely not something that would be under the latch plate...way too thick.

We pulled the vehicle seat out and looked at how all the seatbelts connected to the frame of the vehicle...and there was nothing there that even began to approximate how the other belts were secured. Actually. THere was nothing there at all. Just smooth metal.

The driver insisted she was the only owner and had not modified the belts in any way. There was a bit of a language barrier though so perhaps I misunderstood her.

The baby was a January 09 model. He was 27" long and 23 pounds. He was delightfully fat. Is that better?

Can't see the drawing, but I did deal with something weird like this..now if I could just remember....