1999 Volkswagon sedan

Maedze

It was, uh, red. Sorry, I'm drawing a blank on the model, we did quite a few seats yesterday.

Can someone tell me what I saw? It was the middle seatbelt to the VW. There was a piece hanging down the vehicle seat back the way middle belts often do, to plug into the vehicle seat bight if you need to use them. But instead of having some sort of device for plugging in, the belt ended with a loop of webbing sewn around a solid metal ring. It was oblong, just a little wider than the length of the webbing itself, and quite short...perhaps less than an inch from top to bottom. Very strong, thick metal.

The guy that I was working with and I practically took the seat apart trying to figure it out. No luck. We advised the parent to see a dealer about having the belt fixed. She said she was the original owner of the car.

ADS

Maedze

Yes, it was a switchable retractor in the vehicle seatback itself.

I think in the last week I've done over 80 seat checks. So thwwwppppt to you!

Maedze

No bolt hole. Definitely not something that would be under the latch plate...way too thick.

We pulled the vehicle seat out and looked at how all the seatbelts connected to the frame of the vehicle...and there was nothing there that even began to approximate how the other belts were secured. Actually. THere was nothing there at all. Just smooth metal.

The driver insisted she was the only owner and had not modified the belts in any way. There was a bit of a language barrier though so perhaps I misunderstood her.

The baby was a January 09 model. He was 27" long and 23 pounds. He was delightfully fat. Is that better?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Can't see the drawing, but I did deal with something weird like this..now if I could just remember....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC