Adjusting the harness

::er!ca::

Do you loosen the harness every time you take your child out? Or do you leave it tightened all the time, and just double check it after you put your child in?

Why do you do it the way you do?

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I loosen. I find it easier to get the kiddo out. Although, not with a big kid (8-10) in the Regent.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
It depends on the kid and the seat.

With my baby in the Coccoro and my big kid in the Nautilus, I loosen and tighten each time. It's easier to get them (especially the baby) in/out, and they both have such nice smooth adjusters.

When my big kid was in the Regent, I tended not to loosen/tighten (unless I needed to, of course) because I hate the adjuster on it.

With the SafeGuard I adjust each time because it's easier and so fun to play with!

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Generally, I don't loosen and tighten each time with any of my current seats (Frontier, Marathon, Boulevard, True Fit). I did with my infant seats, however.

JerseyGirl'sMama

Yes, I loosen everytime. I can (and do) get DD out without loosening her harness, but I just don't get the proper fit on her if I don't loosen it when putting her back in. The harness adjuster is super easy to get to, so I don't mind at all.

purplemama

With the infant bucket and the Titan we loosened, tightened everytime, it was impossible not to. But with the Marathon, it's very easy to just leave it as is. Something about it makes it easy to get him in and out without adjusting. And yes, it's tightened enough. I think it just depends on the seat.

monstah

I adjust getting them out & putting them back in. I just feel like I get a better, more comfortable fit when I adjust everytime.

Probably because I have a tendency to over-tighten and trying to stuff them back into their seats without loosening the harness just doesn't work. :whistle:

Laurette

DS buckles himself up and we do not loosen or tighten it unless he asks. DD needs to have the straps loosened to get her back in eaiser. :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Piper does and undoes her own harness, so unless she mentions she needs it loosened or tightened we don't touch it.

Wendy

southpawboston

the kids loosen it to get out, and tighten it to get in, every time.

in fact, they buckle their own harnesses and tighten themselves.

before they could do it themselves, we loosened and retightened, every time. no exceptions. this way, each time is a perfect fit :).

cookie123

I prefer to loosen and tighten. My dd doesn't adjust Matthew. The big kids do up themselves and they don't adjust. And I'm certain dd never bothers to check if they're in right.:(

Leenybean

I loosen and tighten each time for both of them, easier to get them out and easier to make sure they are fitting correctly each time.

I try to leave it alone, I have no luck with fraying harnesses, and adjusting seems to add to the wear... so I just kind of leave it.. I think my marathon is becoming a frayed mess, I need to send in some pics to Britax.. the latch, and retractor are fraying on me now. augh.

Mommy0608

With Tyler's SS1 I do loosen every time... makes it so much easier to get him in and out. I don't do that with Jessica's True Fit though. I take advantage of the continuous harness to get her in and out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC