Miraculous story

picklesmama

Excerpt from an email I got from Cottonbabies this morning:

Imagine being trapped at a railroad crossing with baby on board and guard gates descending. The scenario is perhaps a parent's worst nightmare.

On Memorial Day weekend, the Partenfelder family found themselves in this exact situation. Fortunately, their extraordinary courage and a properly installed Britax Roundabout car seat brought about a happy ending.

We thought you might enjoy watching this family share its miraculous story and lesson in car seat safety. Click here to see the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOelrDX8Fjk

ADS

Madeline410

I heard about that right after it happened. How scary :( I had chills just watching that video. As horrible as this sounds though, the ending ruined it for me because it was just a plug for Britax.

Wiggles

I'm glad that it shows that properly installed carseats save lives. I am less pleased about the way it's a plug for one brand of carseat. I'm also assuming that the 2 year old was probably forward facing--if he WAS rear facing, I wish they'd mentioned that.

picklesmama

I heard about that right after it happened. How scary :( I had chills just watching that video. As horrible as this sounds though, the ending ruined it for me because it was just a plug for Britax.

Yeah, Cottonbabies sells Britax so it really is a sort of commercial, but the story was amazing to me.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I kept checking out the pics of the car. Can't see a seat. I assume FFing.

Madeline410

I'm glad that it shows that properly installed carseats save lives. I am less pleased about the way it's a plug for one brand of carseat. I'm also assuming that the 2 year old was probably forward facing--if he WAS rear facing, I wish they'd mentioned that.

It was a FF Roundabout. When the story first came out, I zoomed way in on the pics that were posted with the news story.
http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/45982632.html

Madeline410

Untitled-1.jpg

zoomed in and lightened it.. looks like a "Big Cat" cover, so that makes it a Roundabout right?

4boysmom

Yeah I too was disappointed with the highly "commercial" aspect ( Britax does NOT continue to be "head above the rest" like they stated in the video) as well as the fact IMO it could have also served as a PSA warning/reminder to never stop on a RR track/assume flow of traffic so that there is ever a chance you would get stuck there if traffic came to a sudden and abrupt stop as you were attempting to cross.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
For those who have trouble with clicking links, here it is embedded:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOelrDX8Fjk"]YouTube - The Partenfelder Family's Story: A Lesson in Car Seat Safety[/ame]

I agree, the perception that Britax is "the safest" or "the only safe" brand does parents a disservice and should not be perpetuated. I wish the focus was more on proper use and less on brand. Britax are great seats-- but they're not the only way to keep your kid safe. :)

I commented cause it made me a little irritated.. we have britax seats, and we have a true fit, and an EFTA (well tomorrow) and we have owned radians, and graco my rides, ect...

I think that a seat is only as good as the install, if the seat is installed properly then it should do it's job correctly.

To say that britax is the only safe seat or the safest seat bothers me. No way in a million years could I have bought a britax for my oldest when she was little, a cosco scenera was even out of reach back then.. how is saying britax is the safest supposed to make a parent feel who can not drop 300 dollars on a seat, even if their cosco scenera is installed properly and is being used correctly?

It just bothers me, we spend SOOOO much money on these seats, some people have to really scape and save to buy a seat for their kids, and I am sure they want their kids to be safe and love them just as much as the parent who can afford britax.. I think it needs to be made clear that britax is EASY to install correctly, and has lots of bells and whistles and they test them over and over, but that every seat meets the govenment standards and is just fine as long as it is installed properly.

OH and btw my marathon is not holding up like I expected it to, I plan to call britax about it friday after seeing Coleen, to see if she agrees about all the frays on it. I have never had one seat that has held up well, and britax is no exception.

Not saying I don't love my britax seats, cause I do, but I also love my true fit! :)
:twocents::whistle:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think that a seat is only as good as the install, if the seat is installed properly then it should do it's job correctly.

I think it needs to be made clear that britax is EASY to install correctly, and has lots of bells and whistles and they test them over and over, but that every seat meets the govenment standards and is just fine as long as it is installed properly.

Well said.

This does make the point that containment is the number one job of a seatbelt/carseat, though, and that kids should be in the back seat.

He was in the rear seat, far from the impact, and because his seat was installed properly, he was contained within the protective shell of the car seat and the vehicle; they took the impact and kept him safely in the middle space of the car, out of all crush zones in this case.

The two men who were injured were injured when they were thrown out of the car by the impact.

Well said.

This does make the point that containment is the number one job of a seatbelt/carseat, though, and that kids should be in the back seat.

He was in the rear seat, far from the impact, and because his seat was installed properly, he was contained within the protective shell of the car seat and the vehicle; they took the impact and kept him safely in the middle space of the car, out of all crush zones in this case.

The two men who were injured were injured when they were thrown out of the car by the impact.

I agree, I am glad that it makes a big point about it installed properly, but I wonder if a properly installed say ohh... Evenflo titan would have kept him safe too.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm sure it would have. Evenflo Titan, Cosco Scenera, even Cosco HBB would have done the same job, as long as installed properly. Yes, Britax seats are pretty easy to install properly, but many other seats aren't that hard, or with just a little time with a CPST almost anyone can learn to install almost any seat in almost any car. :)

I'm sure it would have. Evenflo Titan, Cosco Scenera, even Cosco HBB would have done the same job, as long as installed properly. Yes, Britax seats are pretty easy to install properly, but many other seats aren't that hard, or with just a little time with a CPST almost anyone can learn to install almost any seat in almost any car. :)
ITA! :thumbsup:

4boysmom

Yep. And it took me literally 1-2 minutes to install the dreaded "it-may-very-well-not-work-because-don't-Quest's-have long-buckle-stalks" Radian. Literally it was an easy peasy install! Thread, twist female stalk twice, lock auto lock at retractor, grab shoulder portion of belt at shoulder/lap buckle to get out slack while using one hand to make sure the female end doesn't try to flip while tightening, bare down, feed belt into auto retractor, perfect. That thing is like an intergrated child seat in the van now. Still doubting we can get 3 across but wouldn't that be an awesome miracle and save us $ when we really need it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC