car seats and accessories?

Heidi

I haven't seen this talked about yet on here, apologies if I've not searched well or its too off-topic. I'm new and trying to figure it all out! First DS will go into new RF seat soon -- he's currently in an SS1 and I'm trying to figure out which seat to buy. All these posts are helping! My question though is What, if anything, do any of you put on the back of the car seat to protect the fabric from shoes? We live in lovely Minnesota, where the long snowy winter means really dirty, wet shoes. I'd rather not take them off every time he gets in the car -- are there good seat protectors out there that do not interfere with the way the car seat is installed? And are there any other "accessories" that people use for their kids? I know this isn't about car seats exactly, but in my quest to keep him rear facing as long as possible, I know I'm going to have to make the back of the seat entertaining for the next (hopefully) four years!

thanks!

ADS

Madeline410

Hi there! I'm in MN too. I just lift my kids and have them (or help them lol) kick their feet together so all the snow and gunk comes off before they get in the car. My seats are fine after a few years of that :)

KaceyLynn

ALso from MN :)

I have used things similar to this when DD was RF

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Seat-Back-Protector-Pack/dp/B000LZDUJ2"]Amazon.com: Auto Seat Back Protector 2 Pack: Baby[/ame]

Mommy0608

I use the very THIN clear plastic things that are intended to keep feet off the back of the front seats while kids are forward-facing. It seems to work for now. However, my mom is going to make me some that are kind of like pillow cases to go over my captains chairs in the van. :)

As a general rule of thumb, we don't advocate using any aftermarket products, especially those directly involved with the harness or installation because they have not been tested with that particular seat, so we don't know how it will fare in a crash. Many manufacturers state in the manual that they forbid the use of aftermarket products with their car seats.

If you would like some convertible car seat recommendations, please feel free to ask. :)

monstah

I got a really cute hand towel from Target (lime green w/ a monkey embroidered on it) and poked the headrest posts through it so it protected the seat & was really cute to boot. Sorry I can't find a picture.

mykidsmylife

I use the plastic seat back protectors as well. Seths has Lightning McQueen on it. I just make sure it isn't going underneat the car seat. That would be dangerous.
Another option is an apron.

::er!ca::

I carry my rfing child, that way I don't have to worry about their shoes. In and out of stores I tend to use a stroller &/or cart... so they're not walking in the nasty snow, rain, etc.

Mommy0608

I carry my rfing child, that way I don't have to worry about their shoes. In and out of stores I tend to use a stroller &/or cart... so they're not walking in the nasty snow, rain, etc.

I used to do that, too. However, now with two rear-facing kiddos, that doesn't work any more. :p

Maedze

Remove shoes, and throw a towel or old t-shirt over the seatback :thumbsup:

(as an aside, are you familiar with the rule against snowsuits, jackets, comforters or other heavy winter clothing in the car seat?)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC