Decathalon Question

3acorns4Christy

My good friend has a 3yo, 35lbs, 39" son. He is in a Decathalon about a .5 inch away from being even with the top slots. She will be buying the Frontier when he outgrows it, but I have a question that needs answering for her.

She still has the padding in the seat, it can be taken out right? Also exactly where in the manual does it say it (so she can read it). Because I think taking that out would allow him at least a little bit more room.

ETA: Friend is very car-seat knowledgable and willing to learn. She considered from peer pressure to instead of buying the Frontier or Nautilus to buy a booster but wasn't comfortable so asked me what I was planning on doing with Joel and now that she knows about the bigger seats will not be ordering a booster instead.

ADS

MissAllyLou

The padding is supposed to be taken out when the seat is used forward facing. The toddler head pillow (the square one that hooks through the top slots) can be used for the life of the seat. HTH!

Jennifer mom to my 7

Infant Positioning System
The Infant Positioning System is designed
to provide better fit and comfort for
infants using this restraint. The system
consists of a body pillow and infant pillow
connected to the harness.
For additional side support, fold side flaps
as shown in figure B.
NOTE: Remove after child can sit
comfortably in restraint without additional
support (see pg. 34).

On page 26 of manual

katiesmommy

At the Britax training my mom went to Sarah Tilton told them the padding could be used so long as it didn't interfere with the child's comfort or fit in the seat.

3acorns4Christy

Thanks ladies! Next time I am with her I will bring it up that maybe taking it out will give him more room, since it came from Britax that it can stay in that is good.

mams99

I'm just having a hard time believing that he's at or near the top slots of the decathlon. My son still fits in it (though he's about out of strap length) and he's 45" tall, 55 lbs and 4 years 3 months old and he's a LOT torso. Longer than most kids his age. Could the padding in the seat be raising him that much?

Jennifer mom to my 7

Yes, the padding may be interfering with the way he sits (as he will be further forward in the seat, and not in the little butt well, kwim) but I just wanted to say, that my dd outgrew her dc in January, at about 3 years 3 months, ~40 pounds and ~40 41 inches. She is long in the torso. ANd I had even reinstalled it more upright (with the tricks;)) and got an extra 4-6 months out of it, or she would have been out by 3.

hesgimenez

I'm just having a hard time believing that he's at or near the top slots of the decathlon. My son still fits in it (though he's about out of strap length) and he's 45" tall, 55 lbs and 4 years 3 months old and he's a LOT torso. Longer than most kids his age. Could the padding in the seat be raising him that much?

I was thinking this too. Maybe he has a long torso? K is at least 42" and still has plenty of room in his Decathalon.

henrietta

It's totally possible to have outgrown it at that height--with a really long torso!!! And depending on how the seat installs in her vehicle. My nephew outgrew it about that height, maybe a bit taller. My son, who is slightly long torsoed and 39" tall , is just above the 2nd from the top slots.

henrietta

NannyMom

My friend's daughter was close to the top slots in the Marathon (about an inch under them) at 2 years 0 months, and 29 pounds (and yes, she was FF).

But OP, I bet if she takes out the padding, he'll have more room.

3acorns4Christy

His torso is 17.75". He is just a tad taller then Joel (Joel now being 37.5") standing but nearly 3 inches taller sitting. Joel is still on the 3rd from bottom harness slot in the MA, Lucas even in the MA is in the top harness slot. His is also much wider in the shoulder area then Joel is too. That is why she is going with the Frontier, because it will fit him better later as well. He's not chunky, just extremly solid.

He is normally in the Captain seat in their van, cannot remember what kind of van. But we put in the back seat with Joel, it was more upright then normally and he did have a little bit more room, but not much more.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC