WWYD carseat situation for 15 hour drive

scootiemom

We're taking a 15 hour trip in a couple weeks some of which will involve driving at night. Would you buy a 40lb RF seat in hopes of getting the kids to sleep better during the night portions? 4.25 and 6 years old, both under 40 pounds but over the 33lb Marathon limit currently in top slots of Marthons with a bit less than an inch of room to grow. I know I can't recline the Marathons any longer but I want to provide comfy seating to induce sleep which is why I'm thinking RF. Opinions?

ADS

mommaon112903

If you have the money, sure, if not then they are fine FF.

The six year old would most likely not fit into a MR RFing unless she is a tiny thing. And I certainly would not buy a RF seat for a six year UNLESS they were a special/high needs child. :twocents:

As long as your children's shoulders are below the top harness slots in their MAs (they are obviously under the weight limit) they still fit in the MAs and honestly I see no reason to buy a new seat *just* for the trip.

Josef has taken numerous trips similar to yours (although we do not night drive) and has never complained about being un-comfortable. He uses the sides of the Regent and props up his pillow (small) and he sleeps peacefully.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
If money is no object and you want new Rfing seats, sure, you can get them, but it's really not necesary. I agree that if they are that close ot the top slots of the marathons, you probably wouldnt be able to use a myride, so youd be looking at radians or complete airs. But, I also agree that they really should sleep fine in their FFing seat, maybe bring a little pillow to rest tyheir head against for comfort.

AtTheSouthDam

Having done the 16 hour trip to Illinois I can vouch that my then 3 year old slept just fine FF in MA. She was 39# then so no recline for her either. She did not sleep nearly as long as her sister did in her SR, but she did sleep ;) I would leave them as they are.

Morganthe

Just to chime in with something off the wall -- We had a 24+ hour drive each way TX-NJ-TX within 4 weeks FF'd in a Regent. WHEN :rolleyes: dd slept, she'd pop her head into the corner of her Regent & fall fast asleep. She's not much of a sleeper in the first place, but she did really well. She was just 4 at the time.

For her, the most important was having leg support. At the time, I used a soft wicker box that fit right on the car's center hump. She slept better with her legs bent that way than dangling.

No, I wouldn't buy a rfing carseat just for a long distance trip. :shrug-shoulders:

Last edited:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Even if $ grew on the tree in my back yard I wouldn't buy new RF seats for kids these ages unless they had some rather severe physical special needs . . . maybe I might for the 4 yr old *if* I had a younger kid in mind to hand it down to....

The best advice I ever got for taking long road trips (with or without kids, but especially with) was to stop every couple-few hrs. This means a longer trip overall, but IME it also makes for a car full of happier people regardless of the ages :eek:

New and/or favorite music, books, puppets, etc can make a huge difference in comfort & I've always used old rolled up comforters on the floor for leg support.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC