Best car seat for $100.

judesmommy

I need to get a second car seat for my mom's car for my DS. He is 10 months old and RF. I would like a car seat for under 100 dollars. Any recomendations for one that easy to install (with seat belt, because we don't have latch) and one that is comfy and safe.

ADS

BeckC

You have a couple options for seats under $100.

For about $50 you can get a Cosco Scenera. It RF to 35 lbs and FF to 40 lbs. For about $80 you can get a Safety 1st Avenue. It also RF to 35 lbs and FF to 40 lbs but it has EPS foam, more padding, a taller shell and taller top slots than the Scenera (meaning it will last you a little longer).

Hhhhmmm, under $100.

Cosco Scenera
Safety 1st Avenue

If you're willing & able to go a tad higher (it's $150) a Graco My Ride 65 would be great & get longer RF & longer harness.

ETA: Hahahaha, look at us all posting the same thing at the same time. And you know, I forgot about the EFTA being on sale at times. In fact, I just saw one on clearance at my Target (I didn't see how much though).

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I love the EFTA. We use it in our primary car. But, my moms car is a tiny toyota corolla so I need a tiny car seat. I will check out the Safety 1st. Thanks.

The EFTA fits rfing in my Corolla. Older children do not need a 45 degree angle and can sit more upright, which gives you more space.

judesmommy

The EFTA fits rfing in my Corolla. Older children do not need a 45 degree angle and can sit more upright, which gives you more space.
I just didn't want to take up a bunch of room in her car. What about the line on the EFTA that says "must be even with ground". Do you have to make it even for older babies?? I didn't know that older babies didn't have to be at a 45 degree angle. Thanks for telling me! What angle should I try to have him at??

I also read that you shouldn't use a mighty tight for installation. I didn't know that either. I am new to the board and I thought that it was okay. Why can't you use a mighty tight? Is it because it can come loose in a crash?

NannyMom

I just didn't want to take up a bunch of room in her car. What about the line on the EFTA that says "must be even with ground". Do you have to make it even for older babies?? I didn't know that older babies didn't have to be at a 45 degree angle. Thanks for telling me! What angle should I try to have him at??

I also read that you shouldn't use a mighty tight for installation. I didn't know that either. I am new to the board and I thought that it was okay. Why can't you use a mighty tight? Is it because it can come loose in a crash?

The Mighty Tight can actually damage the vehicle seatbelt.

Most carseats can be at 30-35* for an older baby.

Mommy2Marcus

I own & really do love my EFTA. It fits really well in the back seat of my tiny 2 door Subaru Impreza leaving my passenger plenty of room. So it will fit small cars quite well. Here are some pictures of my EFTA in my tiny little two door to show you how well it fits!

017-3.jpg

016-2.jpg

018-2.jpg

I hope these help!

judesmommy

Here's a detailed link explaining why not to use a Mighty Tite: http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/SeatBeltTite.aspx

Wow! I never never knew!! I have been using the mighty-tight for a while now.

I know other moms that use it to!! I had no idea that it was dangerous. Thank you so much for letting me know. I am so GRATEFULL!! Really haha! :)

I am going to take it off tommorow!

But, I have another question.

If the Mighty-Tight has stretched my seat belt, how do I know that the belt is still safe and will be okay in an accident??

Will a Car seat tech be able to look at the belt and tell me if it is okay or not or do I need to some how get a new seat belt?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
A dealership or body shop that handles repairs and replacing belts after crashes could inspect the belt for you. I'm a reformed former Mighty Tite user myself. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC