Papooses This is for you about the Peg Pegero infant seat

Lilsid

Ok where to begin on not liking Peg Pegero Primo Viaggo Car Seat.

Mine is a late 2002 model so I don’t know about the new ones I hope they are a better. I was given mine by my brother and I know its entire history. Sorry but this may take a few posts to get it all in. I am just a few weeks pregnant and so a am sorry if this goes on an on but I am feeling really passionate about not liking this car seat right now, it may be the hormones but you tell me what you think.

The straps on the lowest slots and pulled all the way tight are too loose for any new born I have ever met.
PegPegero001.jpg

PegPegero011.jpg

It can only be used with the base there are no slots on the seat shell for installing it with out the base.
PegPegero005.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

Lilsid

The canopy is too short and it has these weird little notches in the part that goes around the handle. It is a PITA to get the canopy to move since you have to pull the plastic out and then up or back. Its useless IMO.

PegPegero006.jpg

PegPegero010.jpg

Lilsid

It only goes to 20 Lbs and 26”. Ok so its good for most children until they are 5-6 months old that’s just when they are starting to grow in to the straps. I also hate the paper clip chest clip and you can’t get it off and get a new one on I have tried.
PegPegero007.jpg

It also is very heavy, the base is heavy and the carrier is also very heavy compared to the snugride.

I drive a 1999 Toyota 4 runner with very flat seats and it is pretty easy to install almost any car seat I have tried in it. But for the life of me I can’t get this one in with a good install at all. I have put all my weight on it and I am a big girl. I pulled, tugged, and sweated over this. I spent 45 minutes tonight trying to get it in my car. It was still loose like 3 inches of room. So I got out a mighty tight I confiscated from a friend and then I showed her how to install her car seats. So I put the mighty tight on and it barely took any slack out since I had pulled and yanked so hard my self. It was still so loose. This is a bad design. These pictures show the play in the side to side movement before the mighty tight. The camera battery died by the time I got the MT out. Look at the side by where the lap portion of the belt is and you will see the increase of white towel and that is the amount of space it moves.

PegPegero018.jpg

PegPegero017.jpg

Last edited:

Lilsid

This is scary it is what happened when I pulled the top part up to check movement and this did not take any force at all.
PegPegero019.jpg

This is the install and you can see I have the belt very tight.

PegPegero016.jpg

PegPegero015.jpg

Lilsid

This is what it looks like in the car with the carrier in place.
PegPegero021.jpg

This is the release in the back you have to squeeze these two things to get it to release the carrier.
PegPegero026.jpg

PegPegero027.jpg

That’s the end I am sorry but this is a bad car seat for me and I will not be using it with my new baby. I also did not use it with my DD I had a Snugride and then at 5-6 months she went into a RF Roundabout.

Last edited:

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

I agree with you on this car seat. We had this car seat as well as a Britax Companion. This seat matched our stroller (Pliko P3), hence the reason for our purchase. Ours was a 2005 model though and the base was a little different. The seat is super small. Karley outgrew it very early. I think it was around 6 or 7 months. The canopy is worthless. The chest clip was not as nice as the Britax ones. I wish the seat was larger and could hold a infant longer. Also, the seat HAD to use the base. Some times you don't want to have to take the base with you. It would have been nicer to have those little hooks on the side to use with out a base. I have sold both that and the Britax Companion. We have a Graco SafeSeat 1 that I purchased here from Papooses and I loved it. I have used it for a baby that I watch occassionally with Karley. I think Karley might have outgrown it now. I havn't checked in a while. She is getting taller, still only 23 pounds, but has a long torso. I totally recommend the Graco SafeSeat.

Yoshi

Sorry to jump in without being invited:eek: , but I just have a suggestion- you could donate the seat to a pregnancy crisis center and get a tax deduction for a charitable donation. That is, IF you think the seat is safe to use, despite the difficulties you have had with it. The seat does look like a PITA to use, hopefully they have changed the multiple design flaws since then.

Splash

I had one, that same one I think! It was given to us by a friend because we had an overnight infant placement and no seat. I hated that thing with the passion of ten million burning white hot suns. It was the most difficult to use, most uncomfortable, least safe seat I have ever ever EVER seen or owned. No way would I ever put my kid in that thing, and we got a new seat for our foster baby almost immediately as I knew that seat was no safe.
I wouldn't even donate it, I would destroy it.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I didn't spend much time looking at the base, but I took Ilana's picture in the new version at BRU and I really liked it. The chest clip is different now, a 2 piece one and the lowest straps were almost too low for Ilana, but would be great for a premie. The straps fit her fine and she was 6#13oz in this pic. I say all that just to let you know there has been changes made and it's a good thing! I wonder if they got a lot of complaints and actually did something about it? I'm sorry you hate yours. I have a Graco Safeseat and I love it though, but I told DH if we ever get rich we're going to buy this one! Again, I haven't looked at the new base thoguh to see how it installs. Here's Ilana just b/c I like sharing. lol

carseats084.jpg

lovinwaves

Hey Lilsid,
I don't know if this helps any since you said you had had a Snugride. But I also had a 1999 Toyota 4-Runner and my Snugride installed well in all positions. Good luck! :)

Lilsid

Oh My Gosh she is so cute. I think they have made some definite changes in this seat. But I just could not believe the time I had trying to get the seat installed.

It was my brothers DD seat and he passed it down to my DD. He said it was always loose and kind of floppy in his car too. Now he knows better and has a Regent and a PW booster for his DD. the Regent is in so tight the car seat belts are crying when he is done. He just figured I could do better with the Peg then he could at the time of not knowing anything but that it was the most expensive seat at the time, so it must be the best right, not at all.

I had bought a SS1 since I really liked it and I wanted another baby. It installed like a dream in my truck. I was having a hard time conceiving so I sold it and then, I got pregnant. Oh well I am hoping that the car seat world will release some new and wonderful infant seat by August. I can dream can't I?

Lilsid

Thanks Lovinwaves, I may consider getting another snugride but I really liked the SS1. I don't keep car seats very long I get bored and then I have to buy a new one and sell the old one. DD has had 14 seats and she is only 26 months old. I love car seats. I have only bought new ones or I was given one that I knew the history of.

lovinwaves

Thanks Lovinwaves, I may consider getting another snugride but I really liked the SS1. I don't keep car seats very long I get bored and then I have to buy a new one and sell the old one. DD has had 14 seats and she is only 26 months old. I love car seats. I have only bought new ones or I was given one that I knew the history of.

I like the SS's also, but I really like the price of the Snugride. If we had another kid I would probably just buy another SnugRide, because we have a Roundabout to move the infant into, AND both of my kids lasted a full year in their Snugrides. (I've just had good luck!)

Splash

They've changed the seat itself, but the base is the exact same. Impossible to install and, IMO, dreadfully unsafe. And you can't use it without the base (giant marketing flaw, but people don't care because it's such a status symbol) so that seat is about 2 notches safer than just holding the kid tight in your arms.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
As for new carseats coming out, I think Recaro is going to be releasing their new infant seat in April, it will supposedly have a weight limit of 30-35 lbs. I'm so excited to see it! :D

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
They've changed the seat itself, but the base is the exact same. Impossible to install and, IMO, dreadfully unsafe. And you can't use it without the base (giant marketing flaw, but people don't care because it's such a status symbol) so that seat is about 2 notches safer than just holding the kid tight in your arms.

Well, I'm not buying it now. lol I hate seats I can't use w/out the base. :)

Splash

Yeah, don't buy it. I called PP customer service about the belt not staying under the tabs (because they are SO SMALL and flimsy) and was told both times I called that that was a common problem and that the SEAT ITSELF could be used to hold down the belt. So so so not safe.

RubysGirl

The base on mine is different. I can get a very, very tight install with no movement on the base quite easily. It has an adustment to raise it at the belt path to compensate for slanted seats. I put it in with it flat, as tight as I can, and then turn the dial to get it positioned right. I was initially put out by the belt path (it's a littel different than that now, it has two tongues going over both sides of the belt, and it looks heftier than yours) but when I installed it I couldn't complain, it went in that secure and easy. They must have changed the harness a bit, because my brother had no problem bringing his preemies home in it.

I do agree with some of your points. It does seem like a very small compact seat. I do like this, but then I don't like how quick it will be outgrown. I love how slim it is.

It is very heavy, both with and without the base. I don't like the removal from the car either, but I can count on one hand the number of times I carried my son in his snugride, so this isn't really an issue for me.

I don't like how it can't be installed without the base, but then again, my son never rode in his seat in anybody elses car, so this may not be an issue for us in the future.

I do like the front adjuster. It did come with a bunch of extra britax like accessories, like the strap covers, head positioner, and belly pad. My brother hasn't passed these parts on to me yet, by the time the boys had outgrown these seats, he'd already stopped using them and put them away. He just hasn't tracked them down yet. I agree that the canopy is a joke. I don't care about either of those things though, we used a handmedown snugride from my cousin's fourth, and by the time it got to us it didn't have it's head positioner and the canopy had been snapped in the middle by her older children pushing on it. Luxuries we've never had. LOL. Oh, and I don't really use all that extra stuff on my son's MA. I do sorta like the comfort pads on the straps, but the rest of it is off untill he's forward facing. I may never use the bellypad.

When I get a cord for my camera I'll take some pictures of the install in my car, because it really is that great.

To the OP, when was yours manufactured?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC