Surgery Friday, appreciate thoughts and prayers

abacus2

for dd and I. I have to have hernia repair surgery Friday at 1pm. Younger dd, who exclusively nurses, will be at home with dh and breastmilk bottles. Fortunately, this is outpatient surgery so I should be home in the evening, but it requires general anthesia (sp?) so I'm not supposed to nurse for the rest of the day. Tomorrow will definately be a challenge for us. Then the tricky part is going to be not lifting anything more than 15-20lbs for six weeks. Emily is less than 13lb, so I'm good there, but my 3 yr old is 40lbs and I frequently have to carry things up and down my stairs to the garage.

ADS

hsjwmom

I'll be thinking of you, Liz...I hope your surgery goes well and that your girls will go easy on you! Both my girls are older and still whine to be carried, so I'm really hoping for you that Rachael won't give you too much trouble. Be good to yourself and heal quickly. :)

Lilsid

I will be thinking of you and hopping for a speedy recovery. I have only had my wisdom teeth taken out so I cant imagine real surgery. Good luck tomorrow.

SPJ&E

I'll be thinking of you...I hope it goes well and Emily does okay with her daddy!

One question...why can't you nurse for the rest of the day? I'm just curious because I had to have an emergency c-section with Joshua and AFTER the surgery (you would have to read my birth story to understand, lol) I had general anesthesia. They said I could nurse him when I woke up and I did. I was just really sleepy and out of it for a while, but he nursed great, didn't have any problems. Maybe it is a different type though?

lovinwaves

Awww, I'm sure everything will be fine. You are a momma, and we are strong! hang in there, and I'm sure things will go great! (((HUGS)))

didymama

I'll be thinking of you...I hope it goes well and Emily does okay with her daddy!

One question...why can't you nurse for the rest of the day? I'm just curious because I had to have an emergency c-section with Joshua and AFTER the surgery (you would have to read my birth story to understand, lol) I had general anesthesia. They said I could nurse him when I woke up and I did. I was just really sleepy and out of it for a while, but he nursed great, didn't have any problems. Maybe it is a different type though?

good point, i would ask about this. there are some wives tales that die hard in medicine. best of luck. i had that done when i was young. it wasn't too bad. just stay on top of the pain med wise!

abacus2

Thanks guys, I'm back home and not feeling too bad. Emily did actually take the 3rd nipple daddy tried and his mom came and helped out; she wasn't generally unhappy and has done well today. Nursing after general anesthesia won't hurt a baby (unless they have a reaction), but it can make the baby really sleepy so the doctor/my pediatrician/nurses wanted me to wait a while after surgery before nursing again. They said today it would be fine by about 10pm so I'll be able to nurse Emily before bed. I'm going to try side lying with a pillow in front of my tummy; I hope this will be comfortable enough. Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I wish i would have seen this yesterday... but i wanted to post it for any mama that might need the infomation in the future...

There is no need to wait at all to nurse your baby/child after anesthesia... NONE. I work as a Lactation consultant and there are babies born all the time after a c section and that child is able to nurse as soon as the mom wants to nurse the baby... medical profesionals have NO eduations (on maybe 1/2 hour out of one class in schooling) that talks about breastfeeding. If you are awake enough to hold the baby then you are wake enought to nurse.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC