Help with Turbobooster please

I babysit a little girl who is 7 years old, 59-60lbs and 51 inches tall.

She has been in an adult seat belt for the last year or so but I have been talking to her mom about putting her in a booster again.

My question is- Her mom likes the idea of a high back Turbobooster because her head flops when she falls asleep in the car. It says everywhere that the Turbo is good up to 57 inches tall- is that with or without the back? It is not clear on any of the websites.

She wants to buy the high back version but I am unsure if she is too tall for that version... If she is we will be putting her back into the regular no-back booster at least.

Any information would be appreciated greatly.

Thank you!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think she'd probably have a little growing room in it... you need to sit her against the wall and measure her bum-to-shoulder...the top of the Turbo is like 19-20 inches high. Overall standing height isn't as important to fit as torso height. And she's also a bit heavy, and the Turbo is a bit narrow, so it might be kind of tight on her thighs.
Best to check her out in it before deciding. The Parkway SG or Sunshine Kids Monterey are larger seats that may fit her more comfortably. And they have the benefit, like the Turbo, of being able to be used backless :)

christineka

Re: TurboBooster help please

What matters is the height from bum to shoulders when sitting. The high back turbo booster accomidates a torso (from bum to shoulders) height of 19.5 inches or so. Generally a kid grows one inch in the torso per year. My 9 year old is 51 inches tall with an 18 inch torso and has over an inch of growth left in her turbobooster.

Thank you so much..

A few more questions- I think the options are limited to the TurboBooster andthe Evenflo Big Kid boster due to price and local availability. I only have experience with the Turbo but does anyone have both and could tell me what would be best for her size? Is one wider than the other or allow for a taller child to use with the high back? She is slim but solid...seems tall for her age.

Can the Evenflo be used backless also? We want to keep her in a high back as long as possible...I told her mom to measure her torso and so she'll do that when they get home tonight.

Would you say that the Evenflo and Graco are of similar quality or does one have a better safety rating than the other?

Thanks so much to anyone who has taken time to answer these questions- I don't trust other resources! I took one look at the Graco website and they even say the Turbo is good for children 30-100lbs which scares me! how many paents must be mislead into thinking their 30lb 2 year old can ride in the Turbo? Oh dear, crazy....
Has anyone ever written to these companies to let them know how unclear some of the labeling is? I guess this is another post topic for another day...

disbugsmomma

Unfortunately, I do know someone who bought and used a TurboBooster for her 2yo. She did it because the pediatrician said it was ok. :thumbsdown: And that's why I think all peds should be required to take a CPS course, even a short one.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I believe the dimensions on the two seats are about the same. However, the Big Kid has a very flimsy feel to it, whereas the Turbo is sturdier.

As for the 30-lb minimum, until recently, there were very few options for kids who outgrew harnessed seats by height, and none that were affordable to low-income families. I didn't like it, but I have had to put very young children in boosters because there was no other choice.

Even people who could get other harnessed seats sometimes just don't want to. I'd rather have their kid in a booster than in nothing at all.

Maedze

Of the two seats, I infinitely prefer the Turbobooster over the Big Kid. (evenflo). It generally does a much better job of positioning the lap belt. It also has more substantial headwings.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician

Weird. I could have sworn I just posted a reply, but it's not here. Anyway, yeah, Turbo.

I agree completely... I was told by a lady I babysit that her 10 month old can't ride rear facing in my car as he is too big now (I have a Roundabout in my car) I told her that he is not as the Roundabout is rear facing up to 35lbs. She said "oh well the doctor said he's too big he's fine now to go forward facing, I don't have to wait til he's 12 months" She made me feel like I was putting him at risk rear facing....
unfortunately she's not the kind of person you can argue with so I just didn't take the kids in the car that day. The youngest is 2.5 now and thank God they never had an accident... Such a shame as she has a Boulevard for him and he could have been so much better protected that whole time. I have known so many doctors who are just clueless- they either need to be educated or not offer the advice.
I have an 11 month old sister and after months of convincing my mom she finally agreed Olivia should be rear facing longer and when she outgrew the SafeSeat we got her a Boulevard...(she didn't actually reach the limits on the Safeseat we just felt she'd be more comfortable and safer in a BLVD at 20lbs) My mom checked with the doctor (even though I tld her they won't agee) and I was shocked that this doctor actually said that we were doing the right thing and she said to keep her rear facing until about 18 months...obviously we will keep her rear facing until the limit but at least there's hope!

I see the AAP is now stating rear facing to 2 years and 30lbs is advised but when will this information reach doctors and more importantly when will it apply to the manufacturers and be enforced in the law?

U

Unregistered

I'd go with the turbo. Just make sure the child's mother uses the screws to hold the arm rests in place. I do not like the feel of the evenflo big kid booster at all. It does convent to backless but the back has no eps or epp foam in the headrest area (unless you get the deluxe or super deluxe or whatever they call it) but the turbo does

Thank you everyone,

Turbo it is...now I am just trying to find a pretty pink one she will approve of and ride in...Her mom mentioned that she's putting her back in a booster and she wasn't very happy. I told her to tell her they have pink ones and she warmed up to the idea.

Thanks again!

cookie123

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC