Ford Expedition reccs?

4boysmom

Is there a certain year/range of years to avoid for safety? install issues? both? Any year range especially good?
We are needing something besides our 2000 quest to transport 5 car seats/3-4 harnessed seats 1-2 boosters. DH has decided the expie looks more "manly" than a Sedona, as well as the fact they seem to be easier to come by than 2006-present Sedonas.
Or any other reccs would be good too if you have a 5 plus kid hauler that you love :).

We are hoping to spend around 10k but may be able to go a bit more.

ADS

tjham

I love my 2005 Expedition except for one thing, no...two things.

First, the tether anchors are UNDER the BACK of the seat and almost impossible to get to easily, especially if the third row seats are down.

The window toggles are the dangerous kind where you push DOWN to make them go UP. I've heard the newer models STILL have them. :( I never leave a child unattended but it still bothers me!

Amaris

We have an 05 as well, but our windows aren't like that, at least I don't think so. They are buttons on the door handle area, and the top part is up, the bottom part is down. The only issue with any seat that I've tried is the nautilus. Installing it with the seatbelt can be difficult because the seatbelt stalks are slightly forward of the bight, not a lot, but a little. The only other seats I've had in it are the graco ss1, marathon, regent, and the airbooster and monarch for boosters. I cannot get the regent to fit in the middle of either row (we have the 3rd row, which I would assume you want, and the 3 separate seats across the middle). The only tether in the 3rd row is in the middle position, and you cannot use it with a seat not in the middle position even though it is slightly off center. There are no latch connectors in the 3rd row. All 3 middle row seating positions have latch. There also isn't a lot of cargo room with the 3rd row up, but it's enough for us when we stay around town. We had a Honda Odyssey before this and it definitely have more cargo room with all 3 rows in use. All in all I really like our Expedition. It suits our needs perfectly. We can have all 3 children in the middle row and have room enough for the crate for the 110lb dog and all of our luggage in the cargo area when we travel. Sorry if that got a little long. :eek:

tjham

What I mean is that one area of the button is pushed down to make the window go up, so that if a child or dog steps or kneels on it while the key is in the ignition, the window may go up and choke them. Other makes of cars have the kind of switch where you have to LIFT up the control to make the window go up and that is much safer.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...de/powerwindow-safety-1105/overview/index.htm Watch the video!

Auto makers don't have to change them until Oct 2010, so any car you buy now may have them.
Not saying not to get a Ford, we have three of them (but I was sure disappointed when I saw that they still had these switches.)

Back to topic at hand! :eek:

Amaris

I guess I didn't understand exactly what you were describing! That is the kind we have, I just never realized they were dangerous. We keep the windows locked because the boys will put them down when I don't want them to, so I've never thought about them doing anything like that. Guess I have a better reason to keep them locked now!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC