flying with three children, two in carseats, Britax Blvd & Safeguard CS

Melissa541

Y'all have helped my HUGELY in the past, when I was looking for new seats for my girls. I figured if I keep coming back, I should go ahead and register. :)

I'll be flying, without my husband or any other adult help, with three children at the end of the month. The eldest, 8, usually rides in a high back booster. I know I cannot take this on the plane; what are the chances of it not showing up at our destination or getting damaged on the way?

My three year old is forward facing in a Safeguard Child Seat (not the Go); the baby, who will be ten months at the time of travel, is rear facing in a Britax Boulevard. I was VERY relieved to read the post some lovely person made with links to the FAA statements on placing two child seats next to one another. I was so worried about that! My question, though, is will these two even fit next to one another and will it be a huge pain in the neck to try to get them in & out & around?

I have seen the CAREs thing & am considering renting one of those for the three year old & checking her Safeguard. I just hate the thought of putting that expensive seat in the hands of the airline, you know? Maybe I should just purchase a Scenera for her & have it shipped to my dad's house for him to meet us at the airport with and not even deal with bringing the Safeguard? Still, that's another 50-60 dollars plus the rental of the CARE, assuming I can find one to rent at the time of our trip.

Help! What would you do?:confused:

ADS

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
For the 8 year old, I'd probably just do a backless booster for the trip. It can easily by carried on board (by the child) and stowed or packed in checked luggage.

I'm not sure how well a BV and SafeGuard seat would fit together on an airplane. They're both a little bit wide, and it may be tough to fit them next to each other. How much does your 3 old weigh? If less than 40#, you could get something like the Evenflo Chase for about $60. It's lightweight and would be fairly easy to travel with. It should fit well next to the BV, too.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I would walk before I flew with a SafeGuard. Those things are HEAVY!

If your 3-year-old fits into a Scenera, I'd get that, or a Chase like PP mentioned. I'd probably take it on board. You might also want to get a lighter seat (another Scenera?) for the baby. I've traveled with a Wizard (same as the Boulevard) before, and it was fine, but that was only with one kid. With three kids and two/three car seats to deal with, I'd travel as light as possible.

I also agree about a backless booster for the 8-year-old. Or you could get a high-back with a removable back (Turbo, for instance), carry on the bottom (not for use on the plane) and pack the back in your luggage.

aeormsby

I'd get the Scenera and have the baby use it, then put the 3yo in the Blvd. I've tried to RF our MA on the plane and it's not easy (or possible depending on the plane). I would think since the Scenera is shorter it would fit better RF on the plane.
Ann

natysr

The boulevard will fit just fine rearfacing on the plane. Here is a video of a marathon [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwg9w1Spf_c"]rearfacing on the plane[/ame].

I agree with the backless booster for the 8 year old.

Do you still have the infant seat for your baby? Does he still fit? You could bring that and put it in a stroller to wheel around the airport.

Picking up a scenera or chase would also be a good idea.

Check at Target. They have some seats on clearance right now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC