Need Inexpensive Vehicle for ERFing

Jonah Baby

My Nissan was finally totaled (rest in peace my first car!) and we found that I'm expecting baby #2.

My little Nissan my be worth fixing...however I can BARELY fit ONE carseat in there now. (It would be a RFing MyRide, once replaced.)
I have owned a SnugRide for Joey, so I know what kind of room they need.

Our budget for a vehicle is $5,500, with the insurance money and my Mom's contribution.

We need:
A vehicle that I, being just over 5 feet, feel safe and comfortable driving with an expanding belly.
Cargo room for double stroller, we already have a sit and stand.
Vehicle which will safely and easily fit a RFing MyRide and either a SS1 or a SR32 until baby grows out of infant seat.
Must be compatible with a range of seats, as I do not know what Joey will be into when we hand the MR down to baby. (We are eyeing the Nautilus...)
It MUST get better than 25 MPG, or I cannot afford it. Period.

It would be nice to have LATCH and top tether compatibility, although not necessary. None of our vehicles now have them.
It would be nice to be able to carry passengers beside kids and Dad, but not necessary.
I want adequate cupholders, lol, and a CD player, not a tape like my Nissan.

Thanks for any help.

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
25 mpg highway? or 25 combined? I assume you dont mean 25 city, cuz 25 mpg city eliminates nearly all vehicles, period.

Jonah Baby

Well, I'll rephrase that.

My Nissan got 32mpg city/highway.

I can't afford anything getting less than 20 mpg city. It is a possibility that school loans could help cover some gas...
Most of our driving is city or short highway distances.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
My 2002 Malibu has a HUGE amount of room in the back, even with the front seats all the way back. The trunk should hold a double stroller. I paid $5,000. The 1999 even has the same body.

ETA: pic of what I have done, in the back.

IMG_9697.jpg

100_0602.jpg

IMG_8689.jpg

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
i was gonna say malibu, or cavalier, cobalt..there are tons and tons of those inthe $5k range....but none are rated for the mileage you're wanting...in fact, the nissan you just wrecked isn't rasted for the mileage you're claiming(im not sayign you didnt get it, just that it isnt rated for that)...I know the ratings aren't always correct, but they're all i have to go on.....i'm assuming you had a sentra? According to the ratings, a 2000 sentra, manual, was rated at 23/32, with the combined being 26. something like an 02 malibu is rated at 18/26/ combined 21.
looking at 03 as a model year for reference, models that meet your MPG criteria are most of the little VW's, civic, corolla, focus, accord, lancer, matrix/vibe....maybe a camry...of course,.the sentra, rio, echo, metro/aveo but i wouldnt recommend a tiny car for carseat reasons.....no SUV's or minivans at all.....but you could get the wagon version of some of those listed above, which wouldnt equal more people seating space, but maybe more cargo space...
i hate playing teh MPG game, lol..i always want way more than i can get.....try browsing minivans mpg..its truly depressing, LOL!

abigaylebelle

If you can find out the rear legroom measurement for any of the cars you are considering that might help you decide what is big enough. Sometimes little cars with more upright seats eg sedans vs. coupes can have more legroom. I feel your pain though, I've been driving subcompact cars with a rearfacing seat for nearly 2.5 years now.

swtgi1982

I had a ford focus one that had at two different times a snugride and a convertible in the car, so it will work. I got around 24-27mpg. It was a 2002 sedan.

Jonah Baby

Hmm...
yeah, I had a Sentra. A '96 with a brand new tranny.
I don't know how I got the mpg, either, but I calculated it every week. It fluctuated between 29 and 34. Good deal for a $600 car, lol.

I hate the idea of going with a minivan. I used to own a Caravan, know many who have, have had to repair them...and hate them.
We were eyeing a Mazda MP3 the other day, but I think the mileage would hurt too much.

Really in a Malibu? The seats would never have to be all the way back, either. For me, they would be almost all of the way up!
I love the way Vibe's handle, my stepmother has one, and they do install seats fair. Maybe we will revisit that idea. Good in New England as well.
I'll look at the Camry's. Toyotas in general appeal to me, however some are difficult for me to drive.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC