Least protected child in most protected location

Karen

When I commented on this in my tech class they had no idea what I was talking about, and told the class to do it by age and weight. As I have heard this fact many times on here, I was hoping someone could point me to the source of it so I can cite it to questioning people. Thanks.

As an aside, in the CPST manual is says that while RFing being more upright may improve crash protection, but it doesn't state why or cite any references. Again, does anyone have the source of this? Or do I just assume that the seatback absorbs more of the impact?

Thanks for your help, I'm preparing for a CPS talk.

ADS

Shaunam

At my tech class they brought it up, but when I tried to put a ff'ing 3 year old in the middle and a rf'ing infant on the side (in the scenario, not for real), oh no no no, that's wrong. :confused: I'm not sure where the theory comes from but obviously it got lost in translation somewhere because they didn't seem to understand that the baby, while younger, is more protected than the 4 year old.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
As an aside, in the CPST manual is says that while RFing being more upright may improve crash protection, but it doesn't state why or cite any references. Again, does anyone have the source of this? Or do I just assume that the seatback absorbs more of the impact?

The reason is due only to the physics. The more recline you have, the more of the energy will go into the baby ramping forward in a crash and ultimately into the harness as it holds the baby from moving farther. If the baby moves too far, their head may extend beyond the protection of the shell. If the baby is harnessed correctly with plenty of room from their head to the top of the shell, there shouldn't be much difference in protection.

I doubt there will ever be any real statistics on this because it would be impossible to check after a crash. So, the only data would be from simulations and crash testing.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
ya, they told me i was wrong in my class too, and made me put the infant in the center and told me to ALWAYS put the infant in the center. Smallest person in the most protected position.

tjham

This is from an email I sent to a SafeKids director over a year ago (there was more to the letter - I deleted non-relevant parts -and director's name):

To: (Name) RN, MSN, CEN, FAEN
Injury Prevention Program Manager
EMS-C & Safe Kids Arizona

Subject: Re: SafeKids News Segment

***And from the previous show, is it really recommended for the youngest child to always go in the center? I have heard that the least protected child should go in the center, which may be a boostered child vs a much safer RF child.

Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 8:41 AM
Subject: RE: SafeKids News Segment

***It matters not which child goes in the center. The child safety seats should be placed where the seat fits the best in the vehicle and is convenient for the parent. Frequently with 2 children, the seats are placed in the outboard seating positions (by the door). If the seats can be placed side by side it is parent dependent on who sits where. I have been doing this for 12 years and have never heard the "least protected" child should sit in the center. If a booster is being used, a lap/shoulder belt must be present and with many vehicles that is not the case although this is changing.

I once again encourage you to get involved with Safe Kids. Safe Kids of Maricopa meets even months on the third Thursday from 0830-1000 at 150 S. 12 Street in Phoenix. These are open meetings. Your passion would be welcomed with open arms.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and thank you!

(Name)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
When we did this exercise in my tech class my instructors didn't care who went where as much. They hardly said anything about it. I put the least protected child in the most protected position, some of the older students put the youngest in the most protected position, they told us either was acceptable. All they cared about really was that lap belts were used for harnessed seats, youngest passengers were in the back whenever possible, and best practice was followed when feasible (though they considered it acceptable for 2 year olds to be forward-facing, they didn't argue with me putting them rear-facing in my scenarios, either. They said, "That could work, too." :) )

U

Unregistered1

I have ALWAYS heard least protected child in most protected location. I thought it was even in the CPST manual. We did these exercises where we had to choose the best location in the car for each family member, and everyone else wanted to place the infant in the center but I chose to put the infant outboard because he/she was most protected and I got it right. Granted, things do change a little when you have a booster that requires a L/S belt and the center is a lap only, but still - I thought this was standard policy, it is in our SK.

Shaunam

I have ALWAYS heard least protected child in most protected location. I thought it was even in the CPST manual. We did these exercises where we had to choose the best location in the car for each family member, and everyone else wanted to place the infant in the center but I chose to put the infant outboard because he/she was most protected and I got it right. Granted, things do change a little when you have a booster that requires a L/S belt and the center is a lap only, but still - I thought this was standard policy, it is in our SK.

Who was your instructor?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

Apparently everyone does the same exercises but different instructors promote different "right answers." I've heard of instructors insisting that youngest child in most protected position is the only right way, and as I said, in my class there were no answers that were "more right" than others, unless someone idd something blatantly wrong (rear-facing infant seat by airbag, child under 1 and 20 forward-facing, 2 year old in booster, booster or adult rider in lap-only belt, etc.) Everyone else she would just say, "That would probably work, did anyone do it differently?"

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Apparently everyone does the same exercises but different instructors promote different "right answers." I've heard of instructors insisting that youngest child in most protected position is the only right way, and as I said, in my class there were no answers that were "more right" than others, unless someone idd something blatantly wrong (rear-facing infant seat by airbag, child under 1 and 20 forward-facing, 2 year old in booster, booster or adult rider in lap-only belt, etc.) Everyone else she would just say, "That would probably work, did anyone do it differently?"

:thumbsup: Our group of instructors agrees to disagree on the topic and presents it to the class as a "See, it's a philosophical thing. There are gray areas in CPS and this is one of them." I personally believe in the rf seat outboard, ff seat center, but oftentimes you simply can't put 2 seats together like that because the kids won't allow it. The best thing to do is to make sure every seat is installed correctly and everyone is buckled correctly.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Exactly. I usually help a parent figure out what will work best for their family first. If the rear-facing child outboard is an option, I give them my opinon on why it's a good one, but I let the parent make the decision on who goes where. I have had parents insist that the baby MUST go in the middle; that's fine by me, as long as the seats can be installed that way.

Shaunam

Personally I don't worry too much about who goes where, as long as the kids are all in safe, appropriate seats. It's just annoying to be told I'm wrong to put a baby outboard when an older kid can go outboard. I think it's more practical to put a baby outboard because they are easier to load and unload. Is it the safest way? Who knows? I've got my kids opposite right now. DS ff'ing outboard and DD rf'ing center. I've been using her bucket baseless and I get a wonderful install every time in the center. If I had two harnessed seats outboard...no way would that work for practical reasons.

Austins-mama

huh weird sense of de ja vu...

we just had the exact same conversation in my tech class. the instructors were instantant on putting the RF child in the middle and I got a talking too because my logic for putting the child there was because its easier to reach over a booster to secure a child than it is to reach over a RF convertible to secure a booster thus the parents more likely to do. I was also thinking about school drop off - its easier to get the booster child out outboard than having them climb over a RF seat.

apparently my logic was wrong my response should have been rear facing child in the middle because its safer. the fact that the kids were in the "correct" place didn't matter :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC