The never-ending search for a supportive seat...

Shaunam

:rolleyes:

I took DD to babies'r'us tonight to try the MR since it looks like it would be supportive enough for her. It was...if I left the infant support in (I pulled it up to the slots she was in and just took the buckle out of the slot). I know I could do rolled towels and everything. I'm just so DONE with that. I know...selfish and lazy. :eek: I'm sick of fiddling with towels while I'm trying to cram a limp child into a seat while trying to position her tube so it doesn't get pulled out and trying not to whack her head and keep the drool off of me. I just want to stick her in the seat! So if we got a MR, I'd be keeping the insert in even though you aren't supposed to and just doing my best to make sure it doesn't interfere with the straps.

I tried the SS2. OMG why does it have to be FF'ing only!!?? I love, love, LOVE this seat for her.

charlieSS2.jpg

Look how straight she's sitting! :eek: And the recline is plenty for her.

I forgot to take a pic of her in the MR...oops. She wasn't QUITE as supported in the MR as in the SS2. I really, really feel better about her fit in the SS2. And she only had about 3 1/2" above her head.

Oh and just for the cuteness....the CA:

charlieCA.jpg

And just to get everyone up to speed....

1) I'm not at all concerned about how long a particular seat will last her. Really, not an issue. We'll get her whatever she needs when she needs it. So if I get her a seat and she outgrows it a year from now, that's ok.

2) I'm normally extremely pro-erf'ing, but with Charlie I'm not as concerned, mostly because it's the LEAST of my concerns. If internal decapitation doesn't do it, it'll be a pneumonia or the convulsions eventually.

SO. Either a MR rearfacing going against the manual and using the insert OR a SS2 and it's PERFECT fit for her....but ff'ing.

It feels so wrong to even think about ff'ing her but I couldn't help but fall in love with that seat!

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Personally, I'd have no problem with you making the parental decision to leave the infant insert in longer than the seat specifies. It's definitely a special situation, and I don't blame you one bit for being done with rolled towels, etc. I'm glad you found a seat that will give her the support she needs (until she outgrows it ;)).

What about putting her in a My Ride for now, then in a SS2/Cozy Cline once she outgrows it? If she lasts a year in the My Ride, she'll be nearly 3 when she outgrows it, right?

Shaunam

I don't suppose the SS2 insert is removeable, and would fit on the MR...

I'm sure it would fit just fine but the insert in the SS2 isn't any more substantial than the MR, it's that the actual seat is more enclosed I think.

fyrfightermomma

Thats a tough call. I agree with the SS2 being the best seat for her. I agree though WHY couldn't they make that seat RFing???

Are there any infant inserts on any other seats that would fit in the MR (if thats the best RFing choice right now)?? If there is a beefier thicker insert and you could put it in the MR (for all lurkers, this is a special case, not something to do normally) that might help

Have you ever tried a Signo? I felt that had very supportive sides, head cushions and the insert worked well to keep my DD in place.

I hope you find something! How frustrating it must be! I'm just trying to find a seat without a chest clip that won't eject my child in a crash :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jonah Baby

I would use the MR until she outgrows it. Even with the infant support where it shouldn't be. I don't know her specific condition (MD?) but I think it would be safer for her to remain RFing right now. It sounds like she simply does not have good body control. Seems like, otherwise, it would be the equivalent of putting a newborn FFing (and OMG, I saw a woman doing that at Kmart the other day...then didn't even buckle the baby in!)
My stepmother has worked with special needs children all of my life and then some. Very often situations come up where a child needs a very specific type of carseat or even special restraint for transport. She would either know of or have the resources to find a seat specially made for your darling's condition. If you message me with details I can talk to her about it and see what she knows about.

Shaunam

I would use the MR until she outgrows it. Even with the infant support where it shouldn't be. I don't know her specific condition (MD?) but I think it would be safer for her to remain RFing right now. It sounds like she simply does not have good body control. Seems like, otherwise, it would be the equivalent of putting a newborn FFing (and OMG, I saw a woman doing that at Kmart the other day...then didn't even buckle the baby in!)
My stepmother has worked with special needs children all of my life and then some. Very often situations come up where a child needs a very specific type of carseat or even special restraint for transport. She would either know of or have the resources to find a seat specially made for your darling's condition. If you message me with details I can talk to her about it and see what she knows about.

She has CP, about as severe as it gets, and apparently she's declining (which they say can't happen with CP but whatever :rolleyes:). The SS2 has an amazing recline so I'm not worried about that.

All the SN car seats are forward facing only and BIG so I didn't intend to put her in one until she's big enough to outgrow the smaller, more supportive convertibles.

fyrfightermomma- I haven't tried the como/signo. I haven't ever seen one in a store so I'd be hesitant to get one online. The board of MR/DD was going to buy it and I want to get one that I KNOW will work for her. So unless someone in central ohio has one I can try, I'm not sure it would be a good idea. I'm looking at it though and the support doesn't seem to go up the sides at all, where she's having the most trouble.

Maedze

Jonah, Shaunum is a very strong advocate for and knows more about CPS than most of us could hope to have in our little fingers :p Given Thing Two's special situation, if the SS2 is the best seat for her, I really wouldn't have a problem with her being in it.

firemomof3

I agree that Charlie looks very supported in the SS2, its seems like a perfect fit for her :)

Last edited:

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I'd cut the bottom peice off the MyRide insert so it's not bulky and in the way. I thought it would be better in 2 peices for ALL babies.

Susan

Shaunam

I actually think Shaunum might be a little wide in the derriere to fit in the SS2 :whistle:

Hey are you calling me FAT!? :ROTFLMAO:

Back when DS was about a year old, I had our computer set up on a nightstand (we were super broke and couldn't afford a proper computer desk) and I used an old nania basic to sit in to put me at the right height to see the screen. My butt used to fit in that quite comfortably! Ah the good ol' days...

Shaunam

I'd cut the bottom peice off the MyRide insert so it's not bulky and in the way. I thought it would be better in 2 peices for ALL babies.

Susan

That's what I was thinking, but taking out the bottom completely because she's seems so tall in that seat. Keeping the bottom piece of course in case there are ever any little babies in my future. :whistle:

Still. So. Conflicted. Argh!

The thing is, truly my only concern about ff'ing her is that I'd be a bad influence on other people. I'm sure it's hard for most people to understand, but when you know your kid is going to die anyway, you don't go above and beyond to protect them anymore. I took her off the monitor and oxygen, I let her taste food....all "dangerous" things for her. I don't think of rf'ing as "protecting" her, if that makes any sense at all. :eek:

I don't want to tell people to keep their 25 lb kid rf'ing and then have them come back at me with the fact that I have my 21 lb kid ff'ing. Oh of all things to worry about. :rolleyes:

serabi

honestly?

if that is your only worry with doing the SS2 I would probably go ahead and put her in it :eek: Simply because it looks amazingly supportive for her...I mean, that's amazingly straight and she looks so comfortable...

:eek:

But yeah, past that, I'd go with a Myride and use the insert against manufacturer's instructions.

myliljunebugs

Noone can compare you FF'ing your 21lb child to them FF'ing a 25lb child that has no special needs. It just isn't a fair comparison. That SS2 does look like an amazing fit! That just sucks that it won't rear face, that would be an awesome seat otherwise!

NannyMom

Well, she is almost 2yrs :whistle: And because of her serious special needs, I'd be more of with her FF if the SS2 really works so much better than the MR. I would have loved to see a pic of her in the MR though. And for her, I would so use the infant padding in the MR, no worries.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
You know, I think the CA looked really good for her too. Her shoulder isn't slipping at all that I can tell. She just needs a little bit more head support. The RN toddler pillow with those head wings would probably be perfect. You could even sew elastic loops that would go around the wings to keep it from shifting or flopping.

Shaunam

You know, I think the CA looked really good for her too. Her shoulder isn't slipping at all that I can tell. She just needs a little bit more head support. The RN toddler pillow with those head wings would probably be perfect. You could even sew elastic loops that would go around the wings to keep it from shifting or flopping.

Do you see the way she's leaning to the side? That gets worse over time. So after a 5 minute car ride she could be almost sideways...it's ridiculous. We have a radian 80 and the pillow does help...a bit. But it's not nearly enough. I don't know why but in the radian, her head tilts back and she chokes even more than normal. I think it's something about how it's SO straight-backed, her curve pushes her out and her head falls back. I don't know. This kid is a nightmare for car seats.

Maedze

If the SS2 is the best fit for her, go for it....otherwise, I'd go with the MR and keep using the infant insert.

U

Unregistered1

You have to do what's best for YOUR child. Honestly, I would be fine with either using the MR with the infant insert or FFing her in the SS2 (reclined of course).

Anyone who even beings to compare their child of a similar age to your dd as justification for early FFing is nuts. You have gone through every possible seat you could think of to find the one that is best for her low tone issues and best for your family. You have done more than probably anyone in the history of CPS to make sure your dd is in the right seat, if anyone begins to use that line of reasoning, it will sure put them in their place fast when you inform them that unlike their child, the greatest risk to your dd's life is NOT a car crash.

Hugs. You know your dd. Whatever decision you make is the right one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC