Test drove the 2007 Honda CRV

Yoshi

DH and I are in the market for something "different"- quite frankly I am so tired of my 2002 Subaru Outback Wagon I could scream....but that's another thread. Subarus are GREAT cars, don't get me wrong- dependable, reliable, great in snow, great hauling stuff, great for camping, handles well, no problems, great customer service,etc. But I never wanted it and have never felt truly like it was "my choice', ya know?

So....on to the Honda CRV...all new for 2007- MUCH roomier, bigger engine, very nice fit and finish, "better" gas mileage- 22/28, leather seats, quiet ride, more hip room, leg room, shoulder room, 17" wheels....all in all it handled well, nice visibility all around, braking was smooth, not underpowered, 4 cyl climbed and accellerated pretty nimbly. Not at ALL like the older CRV a friend of mine has.

Oh yes-It also has Side curtain airbags standard, stability control of some sort and active headrests in the front row.

A great feature allows you to use LATCH in the center rear by using one anchor in the center, and one from the passenger side. (No 3 LATCH installations at a time, but 2 would be ok. ) I installed the Radian in it outboard with LATCH in about 20 seconds for the test drive. The backseat is not HUGE, but you might be able to fit 3 Radians across.

I want it- DH wants to keep trying out more cars- including a new Subaru Outback. :rolleyes: I WILL wear him down!

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/model_overview.asp?ModelName=CR-V

Last edited:
ADS

twokidstwodogs

I say this as someone who owned a Forester for seven years and now owns a Legacy: the stability control on the CRV should be a real consideration. Last time I checked, only the top of the line Outback offered it. It really annoys me that Subaru won't put it on most of their cars. I understand that driving enthusiasts don't like it, but they can always turn it off! The rest of us would like it.

I needed a wagon that was low enough to the ground for my almost senior citizen dogs to jump in, or else I would have looked at some of the small SUVs like the CRV and the RAV-4. Did Honda ever put that spare tire inside the CRV? I didn't like the look of it on the outside. I also didn't like the tailgate opening to the side. But I know lots of people who love their CRVs.

Yoshi

regarding the new CRV design-The spare tire is INSIDE (under the cargo area) and the cargo hatch opens UP- like the Subaru...YEAH!!!!!!!!!! I like that better, too.

Ali

We own a 2001 CRV. We have DD's RF MA center with lap belt. In the passenger outboard we currently have an RF Evenflo Titan for when I pick up a friend's DD from daycare. Both seats fit nicely. I'm almost certain we could get a 3rd seat back there - haven't tried.

Are the new CRV's bigger? They look bigger from when I've seen them on the road.

Good luck with your new car hunt!

Yoshi

Yes, they have more hip, shoulder, leg and head room. According to the salesman, they also added a larger wheelbase and larger wheels, larger engine and it has more cargo cubic ft. I am in love with it!!!!:D I think we may test drive the Toyota Highlander and the Subaru Tribeca. Even though the Tribeca reminds me of a frog:p

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Yeah what's with Subaru's new styling. Between that and them re-classifying their wagons as light trucks to dodge fleet fuel economy requirements, I'm not sure we'd buy another Subaru.

twokidstwodogs

Oh yeah, that's annoying about the fuel economy thing! I know that other manufacturers do it, but come on--the Outback is a wagon! Not that Subarus are particularly fuel-efficient anyway. I can usually pull off better mileage than the EPA limits by driving carefully, but I wish they could do better. A more fuel-efficient car with stability control--how hard could that be for a great company like Subaru?

I couldn't stand the Tribeca. I didn't like its looks and thought it had lousy visibility. (I didn't really want an SUV anyway.)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
LOL, I saw a glimpse of a Tribeca this morning while at the Toyota dealership. The Subaru dealer is right next door and is owned by the Toyota dealer. I was chatting with a salesman while waiting for my van's oil change, and he told me he hears people describe the front grill on the Tribeca as resembling a toilet seat, lol. I could kind of see the resemblance today. I'm also peeved by car companies who try to dodge the fleet fuel economy requirements. :mad:

Yoshi

Yeah, the Tribeca is on my DH's "Will NEVER Buy" list- because of the sheer strangeness of the front- as well as the "tush". We will test drive it just for the heck of it. I am very anti- SUV (because of the fuel economy) as well as Mini-vans because I am over 40 and I do not want to succumb to the masses, LOL! For a while I was convinced we would get a Sienna. But then I saw them everywhere and realized with one kid off to college next year and only 1 child at home, what was the point? Plus, I overdosed on seeing them everywhere.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC