Why on earth are people so careless??!!

super_grape

My crazy SIL has been on my mind alot these days because she refuses
to buy a seat for her almost 17 month old who is still riding around in her
probably expired Evenflo On My Way (She's tiny but not THAT tiny).
It's not about not having money, it's about putting her pocket book before her children. They could afford to buy 10 CDN MAs.
She also continues to use my old FPSE that was wrecked about 3 years ago.
I've told her about the possibilties, what can happen when you use a wrecked seat. She dosen't care. How can a person not care??!!
They will rush their children to the children's hospital if one of them has an ear ache, is constipated, has a strange rash, a fever (I'm NOT kidding..they have been to the ER of the childrens hospital so many times it's shameful)
but they are so careless with their children and their carseats.
I don't get it. It's so unbeleivably hard to watch family be so selfish and
apathetic about something so important especially when they have been
educated. Ok, vent over....

If you read this far, thank you for letting me vent:eek: ...I'm sure most of us here know someone like this so feel free to share your own careless/crazy parent story

ADS

LuvBug

I have had this happen too. A girl I went to school with had a boy last november and when he was a month old she had a wreck that totaled both cars. I had just come over and shown her how to correctly use it so luckily the baby didnt have a scratch on him, but the base was obviously unusable. Instead of going out and getting a new seat she just started using it without the base, even though I told her and told her. So I took DS's old snugride over to her for her to use instead and it sat in her garage for a month without ever being touched. I see her all the time and she continued to use that seat until he hit the limits, then she familly got him a scenera at 10 months old.
Luckily though now he is in a proper seat and at 13.5 months and well over 20lbs he is still rearfacing, so maybe I got through to her on something. I think her thinking was that the base is all that broke and the seat was fine, she wasnt thinking about the straps at all.

tchrgrrl

It is so hard when you see people you care about put children you cherish in a dangerous situation. I always struggle to find the fine line between sharing the info I have and possibly angering them vs. saying nothing and feeling responsible and devestated should something happen to that child :(

I am sorry your SIL is being so very selfish :(

beebear23

Senior Community Member
My BIL and SIL are the same way. They bought a brand new house, a toy hauler(trailer thing for cars) and are building a shop next to their house, but they're DD(4) is riding in an expired Century Breverra b/c they don't see the need to buy a new seat. before that she was in a AO w/major twisted straps.

Oh, and I had to tell their DS(6) how to use his booster, that he's been in since he was 3.5 b/c "it's easier".. UGh....

tjham

My daughter has a friend who just spent $4000 on "elective surgery" ;) but her son was in a grungy AO with twisted straps. I had a newer AO with straps I had just replaced so I lent it to her. But he's 3 and will outgrow it soon. No way will she buy a Britax and her vehicle won't fit an Apex. *sigh*

lovinwaves

I think people just don't really think about what COULD happen if they were in an accident. Nothing to them has happened IRL, so there is no cause of concern. I have said this before, and I will say it again....We all take for granted when we get in the car that we will go from Point A to Point B with no problems, or injuries.

An earache, or fever is happening right then right now IRL, so the parents conscience acts upon it to fix it. It does boggle my mind about the whole carseat thing, but maybe some crash videos would help change her mind.

super_grape

I did show her a few of the crash test videos...the scary ones, and I was so nice about it;) which was super hard to do (altho, inside I was saying "look at THIS you pig headed idiot") but she took one look and walked away, rolling her eyes at me. I'm not a violent person but man did I really want to chuck
something at her:eek: .

What it boils down to is this - she dosen't like me and her parents don't like me so anything I say is balked at/made fun of because I am the crazy American girl. She's a VERY jealous person as is her family and we have made some good business decisions and inherited a bit of money and are happy in our family life. I feel bad for her that she is such a jealous person, that's sad and must be exhausting to be controlled by jealousy like that. I guess I'm just finished. Her selfishness extends to all the other aspects of her life and sometimes encroaches upon our (our DH's work together) lives and I'm sick of it.
Oh yeah, and part of the reason that they go to the Children's hospital is because she is too lazy to get of her @$$ and take her kids in herself so she makes her DH take them to the CH when he comes home at nite...that and it's "free" so why not go....ok, now I'm getting all worked up again.
I'm just in a bad mood today because once again the shenanigans of her and her DH are keeping me from doing the things I had planned for today and from spending time with my DH...well really it's just the shenanigans of her DH but somehow I'm sure she is partly responsible;) ...ok, I'm off to think some happy thoughts.......

super_grape

Tiffany, you're welcome! and Thank You too!
It helped me to gain a little perspective which I definately needed,
ESPECIALLY today:eek: .

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC