Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Put True Fit Premier in Ford Escape RF

At first I thought the LATCH install was going to truly be impossible , but then I realized you must use the lockoffs, and wow, they make all the difference in the world...I had been yanking and tugging and sitting on it, then as soon as I closed the lockoffs, boom, rock solid I put it in without moving the Driver's seat just to see if it would fit, and sure enough, it did, perfectly (and DH has it pretty far back, almost all the way, but fairly upright, if he were a reclined driver he'd have to learn to sit more upright, lol, which is safer, anyway )
    Leah had a fair amount of legroom, and loads of space over her head. She's about 34 pounds and 40.5 inches tall and wearing 4/5 pants and 5 shirts (she's 3.5 and very tall).

I then popped off the headrest and tried 'baby chou chou' in it, but wow, it would really take some effort to get it to a proper newborn recline. Her little auto-close-when-lying-down eyes were fully open. Noodles are definitely necessary for RF a wee one in this seat.

Edit.... I didn't notice that there's an actual recline mechanism when I tried to install it for a 'newborn'. Strike one against me for not reading the manual thoroughly. So it might still need a noodle, but not the pyramid I was imagining. Phew!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joolsplus3; 09-30-2009 at 07:54 AM.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

2. Thank You from:

3. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: Put True Fit Premier in Ford Escape RF

We have this seat in Blue Aurora. We love it, except I'm having a fray/fuzz issue on the adjuster strap. Talked to LC already and a new one is on it's way to me. They want the old one back to investigate.

I love that I don't have to undo the cover to move it from 1 car to another as long as I"m doing a LATCH install. I also had to cut the orange strap because it wasn't long enough reach when I had it more reclined...and it wouldn't allow the strap to lay flat.

Susan
    Mommy to my angel, Ethan Daniel (8/5/07-8/6/07)
    Mommy to Nicholas (12-29-08) RF'ed to 2.75 yrs in Graco MyRide(crashed) and a True Fit Primier. FF in the TFP and a Graco Nautilus Elite. Nicholas is 2.75 yrs old, 32 lbs and 36" tall.
    Child Passenger Safety Tech

Have you tried taking the headrest off and standing over top of the TF using your tummy to help with installation? I find it helps to get the seat in rock solid with minimal effort (unless you count some ab crunches ) and that the lockoffs really are a formality afterwards. Then just snap the headrest back on, and voila, deelish.

Love that pattern btw... so pretty.
    dd1 - 8y6m, hbb PWSGL
    dd2 - 7y3m, hbb PWSGL
    dd3 - 4y3m, ff advocate/frontier xt

Quote Originally Posted by canadiangie View Post
    Have you tried taking the headrest off and standing over top of the TF using your tummy to help with installation? I find it helps to get the seat in rock solid with minimal effort (unless you count some ab crunches ) and that the lockoffs really are a formality afterwards. Then just snap the headrest back on, and voila, deelish.

This is what I do every time now. It has eliminated my need for pool noodles .

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Quote Originally Posted by canadiangie View Post

Whoa, that sounds like way too much effort All I did was tug the LATCH strap till it was a reasonable (less than an inch but still wiggly) of movement and snap the lockoffs. It was rock solid. Then I undid them and checked it both ways again and it was good.
    But since I AM game for new install tricks, I'll probably try it...as soon as the humidity breaks
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

I like doing it that way because it leave both hands free. In my car, the seatbelt slides to the lock side of the lock-off so I have to push it back up with one had and close it with the other.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Senior Community Member mommyto4's Avatar

She looks so comfy in that seat.
    Melinda-mom to 4 rugrats

chanda

Has anyone had trouble with the harness adjustment strap when the seat is placed RF in the Ford Escape in the newborn recline position? I'm trying to decide between the Learning Curve True Fit and a Britax Marathon. Thoughts?

She has the newer truefit with the anti-rebound bar. It creates space for the adjuster to be easily reached. If you were planning to use it from birth, a Marathon likely won't fit the newborn well. They have higher bottom slots. Most newbies fit the TF from birth, I've only heard of one or two that didn't.

Jools, have you tried installing it in the middle yet? Just wondering b/c I want to get one for my MIL Escape. He's the only child in the car so I was hoping to install it in the middle.

Kate(CPST) - Mommy to Gage(5/18/07)
    FF in a Blaze Recaro Prosport & Cardinal Frontier 85 SICT

I never have tried it in the middle, but I read a thread yesterday where it does work there
    Julie